Author Topic: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)  (Read 174548 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)
« Reply #425 on: August 07, 2019, 06:31:10 PM »
1) Home grown Valencia orange
2) some mango varieties
3) mangosteen
4) Home grown Cantaloupe
5) Home grown Pomegranate
Those are good. Late season Valencias are fantastic. Where do you get your mangosteen?
John

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 07, 2019, 11:45:21 PM »
At the moment, my top 5 are (Assuming top quality fruit):

1) Mango
2) Mangosteen
3) Tangelo or Dekopon
4) Peach
5) Sapodilla or Date

Have only placed 1 thing from each genera, otherwise after 1), everything would be Garcinia. Rankings may change depending on mood.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #427 on: August 12, 2019, 03:04:51 AM »
My favorite fruit is the one in my mouth right now. I try to enjoy each one thoroughly, and not make too many comparisons. "Comparisons are odious." A good line from the book Dharma Bums.
All that being said, some fruits i have a special connection to:
Lychee
Mango
Pulasan
Durian
Watermelons
Peach/Nectarine
Apricots
Cherries
Fruits i can't live without, on a day to day basis:
Avocado
Bananas
Coconuts
Oscar

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 12, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »
1. Durian
2. Mango
3. Mangosteen
4. Rollinia
5. Mamey sapote

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 13, 2019, 06:18:43 PM »
2) some mango varieties
3) mangosteen
4) Home grown Cantaloupe
Those are good. Late season Valencias are fantastic. Where do you get your mangosteen?

Home grown Valencia picked at perfect time is so rich in flavor and juicy. I think it is one of the best but so common that people don't care. I ate mangosteen when I lived in VN and visited it 5 years ago.

I ate a few mangosteen imported from VN here and they are all trash -- picked too early for eating but look good on table.

A good Valencia orange in SoCal with full sun from March previous year and ready in July – a total 16 months and no wonder they are so good that I never got tire of eating. Any other fruits that match this long growing cycle?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:31:37 PM by sapote »

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 13, 2019, 07:53:44 PM »
1) orange drink gallons a week
2) lemons/limes  same as oranges can’t live with out lemonade and cook with both fruit regularly
3) avacado. No one passes up a fresh guacamole
4) strawberries eat alone, in salads and in drinks or smoothies
5) watermelon  who walks past a watermelon tray without taking a piece

I live in Florida and all above are readily available and cheap. Now that I have cc and LZ mangos, mulberry and sugar apples among several other very good fruit trees that are great and would be preferred on a single day of choice, I would not move the more rarer type fruit up because I truly would not like to consume them daily as a year round staple. My top 5 I would not to like to live with out.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 13, 2019, 08:31:55 PM »
2) some mango varieties
3) mangosteen
4) Home grown Cantaloupe

Home grown Valencia picked at perfect time is so rich in flavor and juicy. I think it is one of the best but so common that people don't care. I ate mangosteen when I lived in VN and visited it 5 years ago.

I ate a few mangosteen imported from VN here and they are all trash -- picked too early for eating but look good on table.

A good Valencia orange in SoCal with full sun from March previous year and ready in July – a total 16 months and no wonder they are so good that I never got tire of eating. Any other fruits that match this long growing cycle?

I really like the oranges that have been left to hang for the better part of a year or more, they sweeten up to such a degree that they become very much like candy. One of our navels does this routinely, the fruit are ready in November for the standard navel taste, but by May, and all through August, they are unmatched in sweetness/orange flavor.

I think that Guatemalan avocados take around 1.5-2years from fruit set until they are ready to pick. Try Nabal, Holiday, and I believe Queen.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 14, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
Another thing about citrus: Fruit grown in California has always been better than Florida citrus, and fruit grown in Southern California was always the best.  But those groves became subdivisions and are long gone!  I think the last great oranges/tangelos I've eaten were grown in north San Diego County.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:57:00 AM by johnb51 »
John

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 14, 2019, 09:11:19 AM »
I beg to differ. Minneola tangelos grown in southern Florida are better than those grown in California--not as pretty but sweeter and richer.  That said, I know there are may fine California-grown citrus fruits I have not had the opportunity to taste.

Another thing about citrus: Fruit grown in California has always been better than Florida citrus, and fruit grown in Southern California was always the best.  But those groves became subdivisions and are long gone!  I think the last great oranges/tangelos I've eaten were grown in north San Diego County.

DaveinNoVA

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Broadleaf Evergreens for the Mid Atlantic
« Reply #434 on: August 14, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
#1 Mango
#2 a good Dekopon citrus fruit / tie with a Sky Valley navel orange
#3 a perfectly ripened yellow free-stone peach
#4 Lychee / Longan / Rambutan  -- a three-way tie for #4
#5 Apple

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 14, 2019, 10:59:44 AM »
1-Cherries
2-Mangoes...local Florida backyard of course!
3-Pears
4-Apricot I rank very high but are hard to find at good ripeness in Florida because they are so fragile coming from California.
5-Watermelon but it must be ripe. Always look for that large yellow spot where it has been sitting. I bought a seedless that was beautiful dark green but no yellow spot....and sure enough it was under ripe and light pink inside.
Seeded watermelon greatly preferred. The seedless ones can be OK but they are 40% rind. Juice the rind with some ginger and lime. You can even add liquor to make a cocktail with it.

The last cherries from the North West a few weeks ago....amazing and were $1.58 per pound. Nice dark ripe and not soft. Get this. The lowest I saw for cherries circa 2004-6 was $2 per pound. So my guess is cherry orchards in the NW have expanded greatly. Somewhat like new Hass orchards coming on line in Mexico, bringing prices down to as low as 39 cents each this year and often at 49 cents...at Aldis
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:39:05 PM by zands »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 14, 2019, 04:50:55 PM »
1-Cherries
3-Pears
4-Apricot I rank very high but are hard to find at good ripeness in Florida because they are so fragile coming from California.
5-Watermelon but it must be ripe. Always look for that large yellow spot where it has been sitting. I bought a seedless that was beautiful dark green but no yellow spot....and sure enough it was under ripe and light pink inside.
Seeded watermelon greatly preferred. The seedless ones can be OK but they are 40% rind. Juice the rind with some ginger and lime. You can even add liquor to make a cocktail with it.

The last cherries from the North West a few weeks ago....amazing and were $1.58 per pound. Nice dark ripe and not soft. Get this. The lowest I saw for cherries circa 2004-6 was $2 per pound. So my guess is cherry orchards in the NW have expanded greatly. Somewhat like new Hass orchards coming on line in Mexico, bringing prices down to as low as 39 cents each this year and often at 49 cents...at Aldis
Yes, tree-ripened apricots are amazing, and Comice pears unbelievable!
John

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »
1-Cherries
3-Pears

Yes, tree-ripened apricots are amazing, and Comice pears unbelievable!
You should try plum x apricot hybrids.Beats cherryes any time .I have a giant tree like this and every year i barely find a few fruits left.This year i found only 2 fruits in it because the rest of them ,family got them before i did.Thats how good they are.

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »
1. Wax Apple var. Dalhari
2. Wax Apple var. Jambu Madu Deli
3. Wax Apple var. Jambu air Bajang Leang
4. Wax Apple var. Jambu air Citra
5. Wax Apple var. King rose

;D ;D ;D
Yohann

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 15, 2019, 12:05:43 PM »

You should try plum x apricot hybrids.Beats cherryes any time .I have a giant tree like this and every year i barely find a few fruits left.This year i found only 2 fruits in it because the rest of them ,family got them before i did.Thats how good they are.

Would like to taste that hybrid some day. I believe you that it is better than cherries. Too hot for plums in South Florida, what a shame.

Wikipedia
"Romania is the largest plum producer in the European Union[3] and among the top plum producers in the world. According to the Romanian Ministry of Agriculture, around 65,000 hectares are cultivated with plum trees,[4] and 80% of production is transformed into țuică.[3]"

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 08, 2019, 04:13:28 AM »
1. Durian. Most durian varieties are good when just fallen or cut late enough with just the right ripeness - not crispy and not yet mushy. The best durian taste experience for me so far was a gaanyao fruit from our orchard - perfectly ripe, as it fell from from light touch when it was just about to be cut. If buying durians at the market, I prefer durian baan (basically random/unknown variety small durian with a strong smell) as the trees are usually very high and hard to climb, so people sell fallen ones instead of cutting the fruit down underripe as with the real commercial varieties. Also, small light fruit means small cost if the taste or texture is not as expected :)

2. Atemoya. We have a Phet Pakchong in the backyard, and this year it produced a huge amount of big fruits with excellent taste.

3. Strawberry. Grown in northern climate, bought from the marketplace and enjoyed in the park on a sunny summer day that's probably colder than the coldest day of the year here in the tropics :)

4. Mangosteen. Perfect taste, can be consumed in big amounts for many days in a row. Taste is the same (at least almost) no matter if picked from tree a bit unripe or collected as fallen fruit from under the tree, so there's no need to have your own tree to get good fruit, unlike with eg. durian.

5. Rambutan. Nice seasonal fruit, but gets boring faster than mangosteen. Haven't tried pulasan yet.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 08, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
1. RUTGERS & Brandywine Garden Tomatoes.  Anyone who has ever had a Rutgers will understand. True old fashioned full tomato flavor. Only way to get them is to grow your own.

2. Burpee's AMBROSIA Garden Cantaloupe.  Anyone who has ever had it will understand.  You have to grow it yourself as it doesn't ship well.  It will ruin you for all other varieties of cantaloupe.

3. STAYMAN WINESAP Apple.  Old variety of apple that is hard to find.  Very hard, fine grained & crunchy with excellent flavor. Probably need to grow them yourself or possibly an old you pick orchard might have them.

4. An ice cold peeled 5 pound LANCETILLA Mango.  When perfectly ripened there is no better Mango eating experience on a hot summer day.  Most people try to eat them too soon.

5. COMICE Pear.  Hard to find & limited season, but it's the finest eating pear there is.

Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 09, 2019, 03:41:06 PM »
1. Wax Apple var. Dalhari
2. Wax Apple var. Jambu Madu Deli
3. Wax Apple var. Jambu air Bajang Leang
4. Wax Apple var. Jambu air Citra
5. Wax Apple var. King rose

;D ;D ;D

I've never seen someone with such a strong liking for wax apple. ¿Just how good are these varieties?

beachybryan18

• Haiti, Sud, Fond-Des-Blanc 13A
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 08, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »
1. Blueberries
2. Annonas
3. Mangos
4. Star fruit
5. Peaches

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 08, 2020, 10:33:26 PM »
For pure deliciousness, in no particular order:  Mango, Cherimoya, Lychee, Japanese Persimmon, Fig, Honeydew Melon.  (Sorry, I can't specify variety.)  I also like apples, pears (*Comice), peaches, Japanese plums, apricots, cherries, cantaloupe/muskmelons, watermelon, soursop, sapodillas, avocados (*Fuerte), grapes, tangerines/mandarins/tangelos (*Minneola), oranges (*Valencia), grapefruit, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, finger bananas, tomatoes, and dates (*Medjool).  I've never tasted mangosteen or durian.  (Can you tell I grew up in California?)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:11:55 AM by johnb51 »
John

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 09, 2020, 01:34:47 AM »
1. peach
2. lychee/longan
3. some fig varieties
4. loquat
5. alpine strawberry

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 09, 2020, 02:08:19 AM »
1. peach
2. lychee/longan
3. some fig varieties
4. loquat
5. alpine strawberry

EΝΙΓΜΑ!

Not sure why mangoes are underappreciated in Europe. Meanwhile those crusty grapes often called lychees are revered. You have your brilliant Vitis legacy, don't substitute it with the Chinese imitation!

Greece and Cyprus are the closest European countries to India... even Alexander of Macedon made it all the way there. Who knows if he got to taste a mango?
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 09, 2020, 02:47:04 AM »
1. peach
2. lychee/longan
3. some fig varieties
4. loquat
5. alpine strawberry

EΝΙΓΜΑ!

Not sure why mangoes are underappreciated in Europe. Meanwhile those crusty grapes often called lychees are revered. You have your brilliant Vitis legacy, don't substitute it with the Chinese imitation!

Greece and Cyprus are the closest European countries to India... even Alexander of Macedon made it all the way there. Who knows if he got to taste a mango?

As far as mangoes i have not tasted many varieties but i would prefer peaches as you can eat also the skin and texture is similar. Also i dont like so much the slight hint of resinous taste in mangoes compared to peaches. As far as grapes i have so many varieties and they are great for eating but i love the rose aroma the lychee has. There are some grape varieties with intence flavour and aroma but lychee is still better.
Alexander the Great probably would have tasted mangoes but they never arrived in Greece. Only citrus trees

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 09, 2020, 02:51:56 AM »
1. peach
2. lychee/longan
3. some fig varieties
4. loquat
5. alpine strawberry

EΝΙΓΜΑ!

My favourite Vitis variety is a seedless vitis frangolia that i was gifted last year that has a really intence aroma, more that the normal vitis frangolia (with seeds)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 09, 2020, 03:50:16 AM »
1. peach
2. lychee/longan
3. some fig varieties
4. loquat
5. alpine strawberry

EΝΙΓΜΑ!

Lychees are a lot more flavourfull than  grapes.In fact because its too flavourfull i dislike them.
Mango on the otther hand its better than peaches and mangos are verry diverse in flavor.
I eat a lot of mangos in Romania and never buy peaches ( altough i have my own peach trees).
The only fruit from prunus genus that can get close to a mango its not the peach but the hibrids of plum and apricot.
I have several peaches that most of their fruit goes to the compost pile but all the fruit from the single plumXapricot tree wich is big ,gets eaten to the last fruit.
Try that if you can,the pluot,plumcot,apricotXplum hibrids.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:55:45 AM by SeaWalnut »