Author Topic: Update on Russells Sweet Garcinia  (Read 38891 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Russells Sweet Garcinia
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »
awesome.
ooooohhh i hope we see pics of loads of fruit soon.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2014, 06:12:59 AM »
If I get a few seeds of course I will share. At least now I know there are two places with productive trees due to a male tree being present with females.A lone female tree is at a mini waterpark called sugarworld about 15 miles south of me.A friend snipped off 4 growing tips and grafted them onto G.xanthochymus seedlings and didn't expect much as it was done roughly.All 4 'took' and are now sprouting freely.He will soon be angling for a piece of my male tree.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2014, 07:34:51 AM »
:) Amazing Garcinia ! very nice !

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
The old man who sells rare fruittree's in Bangkok also had mangkoot luang tree's for sale. Yellow mangosteen as far as i know but the gardinia dulcis is for sale everywhere so i guess this man has some other variety. He sold me many more rare tree's but we almost can't communicate. I went back to him later but then this tree was sold. I asked him if it was a sweet fruit and he said yes.

Maybe the one you are looking for is still around in asia and this man might have it, he doesn't sell normal variety's. I will check his shop sometimes and just buy anything that i haven't heard of before.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:00:46 AM by bangkok »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2014, 05:16:45 PM »
Bangkok if you look at the original article in the link you'll see the fruit are large and spherical and this should help identify them as well as the distinct foliage/growth form.I wonder how some pretty ordinary types of fruit have become widespread and popular yet some great fruits remain very rare even where they come from.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:50 PM »
Bangkok if you look at the original article in the link you'll see the fruit are large and spherical and this should help identify them as well as the distinct foliage/growth form.I wonder how some pretty ordinary types of fruit have become widespread and popular yet some great fruits remain very rare even where they come from.

I never knew the Russel's was a yellow mangosteen. I also grow a G. Dulcis but how can the name be Dulcis if it tastes tart? There must be a real dulcis then somewhere i guess. It is a vigorous small tree though.

I will ask around for mankoot luang, at least now after searching for years i know some vendors who really sell rare fruittree's. The fuel to go there costs more then a tree so from now on i will buy all his tree's that i haven't heard of.

This one on the pic looks like a yellow passionfruit, they are on the markets lately.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »
Mike, will it fruit soon? ;)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »
Hey Felipe, is that supposed to be Russel's sweet?

I want to add to the mystery. I went to the CATIE garden in Costa Rica. They had what was labelled Garcinia xanthocymus, but ive have G. xantho and these fruits were much larger and much sweeter than any G. xantho I had ever seen or tried. I must have eaten 20 fruit in one sitting.

I brought back the seed and got about 18 to sprout. I planted one i the ground the others I've sorta just been giving away or  not paying attention to them. They look just like the one Felipe just posted a picture of
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
maybe u had a G. dulcis?

save me a seedling boss!  ;D

i should be in your areas soon...i have a few deliveries to make!
Hey Felipe, is that supposed to be Russel's sweet?

I want to add to the mystery. I went to the CATIE garden in Costa Rica. They had what was labelled Garcinia xanthocymus, but ive have G. xantho and these fruits were much larger and much sweeter than any G. xantho I had ever seen or tried. I must have eaten 20 fruit in one sitting.

I brought back the seed and got about 18 to sprout. I planted one i the ground the others I've sorta just been giving away or  not paying attention to them. They look just like the one Felipe just posted a picture of
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Felipe, that one is quite different from RS having longer narrower and morepointedleaves and there are other differences.I don't think it is dulcisor xynthochymus either.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »
Mike, the seed came via Madeira one or two years ago as dulcis. I did assume it would be RS...

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »
Felipe yours look just like what I have from the CATIE garden.

Adam the the fruit was almost the size of a mangosteen and sweet.

Isn't G. dulcis not actually sweet?
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »
Felipe yours look just like what I have from the CATIE garden.

Adam the the fruit was almost the size of a mangosteen and sweet.

Isn't G. dulcis not actually sweet?

G. dulcis has sweet and no so sweet types. From your description it's probably G. dulcis.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2014, 06:09:08 AM »
There seems to a bit of variation in how sweet dulcis fruit is between trees and I suppose varieties or lineages. There seems to be a dwarf type around here as well. The foliage and fruit shape and for varies less.Xanthochymus seems closely related.Russells sweet seems to have a different growth form, different foliage and fruit shape is different.If I can believe witness accounts it is also sweeter the any dulcis.
I was told several female Russells sweet are currently festooned with flowers and efforts to procure male flowers for pollination are under way.I will muscle in on any resulting fruit and seeds. My 2 are too young to tango yet.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 04:24:46 AM »

Thanks Oscar for extracting these 2 pics from an email I received and had trouble with.This is the Russell sweet garcinia/yellow mangosteen. I have not yet seen it or eaten the fruit so it is like spectre in the fog I never get to.This single fruit was given to a friend who described the taste as like peach and papaya mixed.They are quite large and if any Garcinia guru can put a name on it that would be great.Even if it is just a sweet variety of dulcis with seperate sexes it would be good to know.
I am on the trail of this fruit and even though I have trees I have been waiting a long time to get fruit.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 07:05:09 AM »
http://fazlisyam.com/2011/01/18/buah-rhedia/

Not sure but it looks like this one...if you read the comments you 'll see the indo's also don't know this one well.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 07:23:33 AM »
BK those look like gardneriana or brasiliense which are small south americans with a shell and white flesh.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2015, 08:52:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures Mike! These could be the first public pictures of this fruit since that black and white picture in the RFCA article many year ago.

Tomas

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
Those look like the fruit I got at CATIE, I have to see if I can find pictures of that fruit
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2015, 04:10:37 PM »
Doesn't look like the dulcis i have seen, which have a slight pointed end. But hard to tell from those 2 photos. And as you know Mike, it's not possible to pinpoint a species from just looking at the fruit. For example, it could be a dulcis without pointed end on the fruit. Anyway, even if it's just a select type of dulcis it would certainly be worth having.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »
The growth form of the trees is quite different from those I know that are close relatives.The fruit does not appear to be dulcis to me and descriptions suggest it is sweeter and richer than dulcis,has larger fruit and the skin is shiny and smooth.Knowing they are fruiting right now has me on the trail of this fruit once again.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »
Everything about it looks different to the dulcis. The flesh texture looks almost like a melting loquat flesh more than the dulcis flesh.
The leaves also look very different, with pronounced vein channels.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2015, 12:18:31 PM »
Is there waiting list for seeds?
- David Antonio Garcia

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »
David there is no list because there are no seeds.I have been trying to get seeds for a long time and have failed so far.Admittedly there are a couple of people I said I would pass them on to if I do get seeds.I might have to wait until my trees have fruit.
The fellow who took the fruit photos received some cuttings from a female tree in the past and grafted them on to xanthochymus. The grafts survived and sprouted easily.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »
David there is no list because there are no seeds.I have been trying to get seeds for a long time and have failed so far.Admittedly there are a couple of people I said I would pass them on to if I do get seeds.I might have to wait until my trees have fruit.
The fellow who took the fruit photos received some cuttings from a female tree in the past and grafted them on to xanthochymus. The grafts survived and sprouted easily.

Ok then, can you put me on the waiting list for the waiting list?  ;)
Oscar