Author Topic: Sugar Apple ID  (Read 1714 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Sugar Apple ID
« on: August 03, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »

Hey Forum,

Here is a sugar apple I planted from a seed a while back but wondering if any of you recognize which type it is as I’ve heard they pretty much come true to type from seed?

-Joep450

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Apple ID
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 01:09:15 PM »
I don't think it's possible to identify the variety of a Sugar Apple as most don't really have specific look or taste and most are grown from seeds. I find that they are true to type from seeds only for the 1st generation and only if no other variety is involved. After that it's a toss of the dice.
Your fruit looks big and very nice with big segments. It reminds me of the Big Green from Noel or the Giant Green from Mike T or even the Giant Green/Yucatan from Adam/Frank.

Is it of the easy peel type?
Thera

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 03:08:53 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I’ll do a video next time I eat one on how the peel comes off very easily but I don’t have a frame of reference as I haven’t eaten many sugar apples. The taste is delicious and I eat them by peeling all the skin off placing in a bowl and going to town with a spoon. I think the video will be helpful too to see flesh consistency as I read about “chewy” consistency and also have no frame of reference whether “chewy” or not 🤷‍♂️

-joep450

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 05:21:33 PM »
Hi Joe I believe if you can peeled,it  is an Easy Peel possible Thai, I have several  Annonas Squamosas and most of them when they are ripe they are impossible to peel.
Carlos

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:33:06 AM »
Here’s a video I made with my new GoPro camera and GoPro video editing application for iPad. Based on cacarlo’s comment I’m under the assumption this is an easy peel, flesh is chewy, and flavor is like bananas and condensed milk/sugar, very fragrant. https://youtu.be/2TmpU5u3cik

-joep450

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 09:50:07 PM »
My guess a Na Dai, did t peel like a lessard tai.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
It's an easy-peel chewy type alright. You wouldn't be able to peel like that with a regular SA.
Thera

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 12:08:25 AM »

Easy peeling, easy splitting flesh, firm texture when not overripe

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »

Just a few photos off the fruit off this tree, really pretty I think, but cross pollinated this tree with other atemoya and reticulata this year and now some of the seeds have started to sprout looking forward to seeing if any hybrid leaves come about and then onward from there. 👍🙏

-Joep450