Author Topic: Custom question  (Read 1397 times)

qwertzuiop

• Texas
    • View Profile
Custom question
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »

I am in contact with some researcher in a foreign university who was willing to send me a few tubers of an uncommon vegetable (in United States). Now, obviously, this is a serious person in a University that wants to follow the rules, not a little sneaky guy as most plant adicts are, going through custom their socks full of seeds, bromeliads hidden in their nostrils, with black glasses to get unnoticed.... Does anyone know what the official rule is? I haven't been able to make 100% sure if we need a permit anyway for importing any small tuber to United States, or if there was an exception for less than 10 tubers. Does anyone have some clue there? ---I was going to try to call them, if I can figure out a phone number.... I had found an e-mail address, but, don't know if this is because America was made great again or if it had always been that great, but this administration never replied to me in 1.5 months now....

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
Re: Custom question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 02:41:11 AM »
Hi qwertzuiop, once I had a similar case, only thanks to innate inquiries and support from this forum I managed to solve the issue. Write to USDA. You have to address the matter to the right person and they should respond. If you do not have a response within a few days, write to another address, someone should direct you properly. Good luck.

Regards
Dominik
Patience is a gardener's virtue

qwertzuiop

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »

Thanks!

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »
if it's seeds I don't think it's going to be a problem when he/she sends it just declare it as seeds and what type....make sure it's sterile

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:46:23 PM »
Or call the USDA.  I have found them to be VERY helpful.

Carolyn

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
Qwertzuiop: When you wish to trade plants or seeds  you have to satisfy regulatory regulations of your country  as well as of the country from which you are getting the products from. In your case you need to contact USDA/AHIS   and  enquire with your supplier in a foreign country
the regulations of his country for shipping these items.
          If you want to get plants or plant products like seeds from Brazil  LEGALLY  it is a long and exaushtive procedure. It will many times prompt you and say forget it !!!!!  Now if a scientific institution is looking for a plant or plant product, the process is the same but the
regulatory authority is more sympathetic and  might accelerate the procedure. This is my experience.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk