Author Topic: We might get interesting trades  (Read 3462 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
We might get interesting trades
« on: February 12, 2015, 02:11:33 PM »
I would trade Florida mangoes for ripe gooseberries from a northern state like Wisconsin, Michigan. Sent out by priority mail flat rate box on a Monday
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:33:23 PM by zands »

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: We might get interesting trades
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »
This sounds like a decent enough idea. I'd love to be able to try some fruit that I can't or at least haven't been able to grow here, such as maqui, gooseberries, pawpaw, Chilean guava, etc. I would gladly exchange my subtropical fruit with someone's more temperate fruit. May need to ship overnight only, though, to avoid spoilage.

Jaime

mksmth

• Tulsa Oklahoma 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 03:51:08 PM »
There are so many stone fruits that sound interesting and I would love to grow them but they just arent available in the stores here.  spending $30-40 on a tree and waiting 3-4 years to find out if you dont like it is not appealing to me. I can get Dapple Dandy Pluots here and love those.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »
Cloudberries have always interested me, as well, although I doubt any of our members live that far up North to have these. But I'm sure there are berries galore that would be worthy of trading.

Jaime

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 02:06:26 PM »
Cloudberries have always interested me, as well, although I doubt any of our members live that far up North to have these. But I'm sure there are berries galore that would be worthy of trading.

Jaime

I was in Finland for several months in the mid 80's and sampled cloud berries a few times and did not care for the taste, though it's been long enough ago I couldn't describe the flavor. I also sampled a cloudberry wine / liqueur of sorts and did not like that either. 

Have you had them and liked them? They're not very common for sure even way up there.
Regards,

Gary

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
I've never tried them, have only heard of them. I think it was in Adam Gollner's book where I first heard about them.

Jaime