Author Topic: Satsuma brix  (Read 2373 times)

karpes

• South Louisiana
    • View Profile
Satsuma brix
« on: November 01, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »
 Just wondering how many of you test your satsumas. In past years I have tested with a result of 10 to 12% depending on the time of the year tested. The Ponkan always test a little higher.
 What's your average?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Satsuma brix
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
The CCPP lists Ponkan Mandarin at 13.9 % sugars, and most satsumas at 9% plus or minus - Millet

karpes

• South Louisiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »
Makes me feel good to have a 12% reading on the Owari late in the season. Ponkins are almost always in the 13% range when ripe. Epson salt, micro nutrients and fertilizer does make a difference.
 This week I heard something that makes no sense to me. I was told that irrigating the citrus would make them turn sweet. Seems to me that this would have the opposite effect. What do you think?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »
 Irrigating runs the transpiration stream in the tree. It is through irrigation that all the nutrients, proteins, enzymes, carbohydrates, and etc. move throughout the tree. These are the building blocks required  for production. - Millet

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:33:31 AM »
Makes me feel good to have a 12% reading on the Owari late in the season. Ponkins are almost always in the 13% range when ripe. Epson salt, micro nutrients and fertilizer does make a difference.
 This week I heard something that makes no sense to me. I was told that irrigating the citrus would make them turn sweet. Seems to me that this would have the opposite effect. What do you think?

Heavy irrigation drops the solids, acids, and that includes sugars....on any fruit, grapes, etc.  Some of my best grapefruit was harvested during a dry period in later winter.  It was still very juicy, NO pith and rich - Rio Red....my fave.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk