Author Topic: Little update from Thailand  (Read 15183 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Little update from Thailand
« on: June 23, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »
We have been busy buying and putting plants into the ground.  Al l done except for a pumanee durian that will not be delivered until after I have left.

The fam spent the weekend in Rayong and Chantaburi experiencing a few fruit farms and parks...along with some non fruit related sites.  Several markets and nurseries were hit along the way.  A plant lovers dream for sure.  Main issue is that I have been eating way too much food and fruit.

The price for plants will make you ill compared to what we pay back home.  A five foot monthong was $16.  A nicesized long lap lae durian only cost us $3 at the farmer's nursery.  This was an area that had plot after plot just filled with different varieties and various sizes...like a portionof the city was only for selling durian.

They do all the grafting soon after germination.  A small, new branch with many leaf nodes is cut from a mature tree and a section is cut for each leaf node and then grafted onto the seedling with a simple wedge graft.  So a single little branch can do several seedlings.  As you can imagine, the graft area is very delicate at this stage.  They take a strand/hair of a coconut husk and wrap that around the grat to secure.  Then wrap in tape.

The scenery in Rayong and Chanthaburi was as different as night and day to elsewhere.  The landscape was either dominated by acre after acre of rubber trees or fruit trees.  Durian, mangosteen, rambutan, jacks, maprangs as far as you could see.

Market for farmers.  Thousands of grafted durians

Making durian candy

Chicken with raw durian curry

Braised pork with garcinia cowa leaf as main flavoring

Clam and oyster farms

Restuarant serving them fresh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Little update from Thailand
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 01:44:50 AM »
Sounds like a good time. Did you get to see the fruit festivals in Rayong and Chantaburri? I think they are around this time?
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 02:41:48 AM »
No, they were over and done with much earlier.

Iharancher

• Guam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:54:26 AM »
Wow the nursery experience sounds fantastic.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 12:42:59 PM »
Very nice Jay!

Could you give us the name of the parks/farms/nurseries that you can recommend?

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »

Great pictures Jay...thanks for sharing! Looks like everyone had a great time  :)

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
Very cool post and pictures...

Chicken Curry with Raw Durian? Yes, please!  :D

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »
Yeah, those two hot dishes in the bowls looked mouth-watering!

G

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »
Nice simple shadehouse design.  And a nice report.  Thanks for sharing.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 07:09:11 PM »
No, they were over and done with much earlier.

Try to catch the Rayong and Chantaburri fruit festivals on the next rebound. They are really fantastic! Problem is the dates are different every year as they try to co-ordinate for time of maximum harvests of durians.
How long are you in Thailand for? Sounds like you're going to have to go on a juice fast when you get back to USA.  ;)
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »
Thanks all.  Will go into more detail and have more pic when I get home and update my website and blog.  Leaving tomorrow morning.  Anxious to get home to my dogs..and what the hell...pizza!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 06:12:06 AM »
I have enjoyed the updates. Thanks for taking the time to share  your horticultural adventures/endeavors.  Are planning on sending anything back for the greenhouse?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
As a matter of fact, yes.  I got some maprangs and mayong chid plants to bring home.  We went to the Thai ag department this morning to have the plants inspected...after bare rooting of course.  All went well and they issued me a phyto.  Plant roots are packed in damp, shredded newspaper very thoroughly.  The paper was suggested by the USDA guy I had been working with on this seeing that the plants were not coming into a normal inspection location.  Who am I to argue against such advice?  I also added a bunch of the water absorbant crystals to help keep things damp.  Was quite an effort getting them into the suitcase but I am all set.  I have a letter from the guy at USDA stating that the plants are not on any restricted list and that as long as they are clean, to let them pass.  I doubt very much that I will slide thru customs here as easily as I did coming into Thailand.  Will just hope for the best.

I had to get my level two clearance for the epermit process.  Since I am bringing home 12 plants or less, the epermit was not necessary but instead got what they call a "letter of no jurisdiction".  This declares that the plants I want to bring in are not restricted nor do they need post entry quarantine.  This is not only for the benefit of Thai ag, but coming back thru Chicago customs.  Hopefully this letter along with the phyto will allow me thru without an argument...one of which I am sure to lose.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 06:57:25 AM »
Jay, is the first US airport you're flying into Chicago? I hope not. There is no APHIS plant inspection station in Chicago airport. That will mean your plants will have to be diverted to one of the existing stations for inspection, and be later mailed to you. Here is a list of the APHIS PPQ stations:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth?urile=wcm%3apath%3a%2Faphis_content_library%2Fsa_our_focus%2Fsa_plant_health%2Fsa_import%2Fsa_pis%2Fct_plant_inspection_stations 
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 07:12:21 AM »
We do get many trees from Thailand (water apple,ylang-ylang maprang, etc) but, I have never seen durian tree. I need to keep my eyes open.

Thanks for Sharing
Moh'd

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 07:18:36 AM »
Oscar...this is true if the plants must go thru post entry quarantine or Ithere are more than twelve plants.  I have discussed this with not only the USDA, but with one of the customs officers in chicago.  Now... As usual, this guarantees nothing but at least I ran this by the right people and doing all the correct tasks.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »
We do get many trees from Thailand (water apple,ylang-ylang maprang, etc) but, I have never seen durian tree. I need to keep my eyes open.

Thanks for Sharing

That is because a bare rooted durian = dead durian.
Maprang and mayong chid should fare well.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »
Hope so.  They have crappy root systems.  Oscar...my guy at USDA is aware of me flying into Chicago.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 07:33:07 AM »
Oscar...this is true if the plants must go thru post entry quarantine or Ithere are more than twelve plants.  I have discussed this with not only the USDA, but with one of the customs officers in chicago.  Now... As usual, this guarantees nothing but at least I ran this by the right people and doing all the correct tasks.

Jay, i hope you're right. But i think you're wrong. ALL plants entering USA need to be inspected upon entry to make sure they have no pests on them, whether they need to have post entry quarantine or not. There will be no USDA agents at O'hare airport to look at your phyto and other paper work or your plants. You will only be talking to US border patrol, and they know nothing about things relating to agricultural products.
If you somehow manage to talk your way out of it, then great.
If not, then make sure you find out what inspection station the plants are being forwarded to for inspection. Insist on getting a copy of the paper work from the customs agent that is forwarding the plants. Get the name of the border patrol officer forwarding your plants also. That way you can track them and contact the proper inspection station later on. You will also need to pay for forwarding costs to you. Sorry, not trying to scare you. But it's good if you're prepared because bringing plants into USA is not a piece of cake.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 07:35:14 AM »
Hope so.  They have crappy root systems.  Oscar...my guy at USDA is aware of me flying into Chicago.

I'm sure your plants will be fine. Getting them through border patrol in Chicago will be the hard part. I'm pretty sure your plants will have to be sent to another airport for inspection.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »
A letter from the USDA...hahahahahaha.   Problem is the inspectors are idiots and most have no idea what the rules and regs are or even what they are inspecting.   I wish you very much luck.
- Rob

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »
I am prepared for a battle.  Hopefully the border dude there in Chicago will be around to help out since I have spoken to him several times now.  It works or it does not.  There will be no sending the plants anywhere since they are stuffed into a suitcase rather than a box.  As many of you have found out, it is a gamble whether your plants hit an inspection station or not.  I think the odds are just as good.  I will know soon enough.  By the way...anyone know any good attorneys in Chicago in case I end up in jail?!  LOL!

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »
This was pulled right from USDA article in importing plants.  I have this handy in case I need to wave it around.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 10:01:55 AM »
I am prepared for a battle.  Hopefully the border dude there in Chicago will be around to help out since I have spoken to him several times now.  It works or it does not.  There will be no sending the plants anywhere since they are stuffed into a suitcase rather than a box.  As many of you have found out, it is a gamble whether your plants hit an inspection station or not.  I think the odds are just as good.  I will know soon enough.  By the way...anyone know any good attorneys in Chicago in case I end up in jail?!  LOL!

You wont end up in jail unless the plants are illegal.  The problem comes if what you are bringing in is a violation of the PPA and its rules.  If you wind up on the USDA's "list", you may get harassed and served with a complaint after the fact.
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 11:04:34 AM »
Did you manage to buy the Pulasan to plant over there?