Author Topic: Great quality spondias sub specie  (Read 2842 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Great quality spondias sub specie
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »
Im going to receive in the next few days some seeds of a unidentified Spondia from the region of the North of the gulf of Mexico on the Mexican side( north of Veracruz state, this fruit is available in the long mexican summerJune/September,in season is greatly apreciated by locals who can easily get it in the markets or in the corners,the fruit has a bright orange color outside and inside, it has a disctintibe nice sweet flavor with a nice tangy ending; the flavor has some aromatic refreshing notes; is great to eat out of hand ,but also good taste awsome in juice/ water; theres lots of vendors in season with big jars on the street; the localname is Jobo, and for some of you wondering, is not variety of  a Spondias Mombin or Purpurea  (I know these ones are also call Jobo in Central America)is not, theres many dif. Between tree & fruit to be considered something else; also in the small area endemic of Jobo Tuxpan the other ones don' t grow;some of the differences are Mombin or Purpurea fruits grow directly on the trunk;not in bunches; lost foliage when in season,most have thick skin; tree is more like a tropical/ semitropical; not aromatic; fruiting season March/May;
Jobo de Tuxpan: grows in bunches hanging from the tree; Doesn't lost foliage when fruiting,skin is thin like tomato's one; tree is semi tropical/temperate; here in university studies they have been tested to resist 10 celsius permanent for several days with no issue; flavor is rich;.complex; delicious aromatic and definitely my favorite Spondia; interested please PM as I said the fruit is not in my garden and Im getting it from somewhere else

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:18:13 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

7_Heads

• View Profile
Re: Great quality spondias sub specie
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
Spondias Mombin or Purpurea seeds are sterile, why would these be any different.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
Spondias Mombin or Purpurea seeds are sterile, why would these be any different.
maybe you Didn't read my entire post where I mention this is very different sub species; also I dont know if mombin or purpurea are 100% sterile or just hard to germinate I never heard that; on another note, theres another ones I have germinated easily like brasilian one call Umbu and Ambarella and Dwarf ambarella...
El verde es vida!

NylsX

• Green Roof Partisan
    • MEXICO, Acapulco , Guerrero. Zone 14.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
Spondías purpurea and mombin are not sterile, I have being germinating lots of them for years... Not like I want to, I just throw them at the soil after eating them heh . And I want some seeds Raúl, they look quite different to the ones I'm used to eat around here
<<< NylsX no Sekai >>>

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:51:12 AM »
Very interesting Raul.I am yet to try any mombin just the ambarella and they do not fire the imagination.Do they taste nice as a fruit out of hand?

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
Very interesting Raul.I am yet to try any mombin just the ambarella and they do not fire the imagination.Do they taste nice as a fruit out of hand?
yes they are good out of hand; if you like the contrast of very intense sweet wity tart at the same time, its not a mild fruit at all! To get you an idea like some of the descriptions of the zill's sweet tart mango in relation to the opposite flavors extreme enclose in one fruit...
El verde es vida!

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
Hi Raul,

I've sent you one Email...please check it.

What do you mean when you wrote "tree is semi tropical/temperate" ?

Should it resist cold frosty winters?... any idea of minimum temperatures it can resist?

Is it deciduous or evergreen in winter?

If it can resist some frost then I am definitely interested in some seeds.

thank you in advance