Author Topic: WTB SEEDS: Inga/Ice-cream bean  (Read 2634 times)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
WTB SEEDS: Inga/Ice-cream bean
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:12:52 AM »
Im looking for Inga seeds not to fussed on the species long as it is considered one of the ice-cream beans and edible:) but more subtropical cold hardy would be a preference.

Im very interested to taste these but will also want to use as a chop and drop/Nitrogen fixer:)

I can trade but only have Marula and Baobab seeds at the moment so happy to buy if thats not to your fancy ;D

Thanks
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: WTB SEEDS: Inga/Ice-cream bean
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »
I'm growing Inga uruguayensis right now, which is (reportedly) one of the hardiest species of Inga.  It's too small to fruit, but maybe next year (if I'm lucky)?

I've been growing a few others -- Inga edulis, Inga feuilleei, Inga spectabilis, and a couple of mystery Ingas.  I haven't figured out anything about their growth except that Inga spectabilis seems to not grow for me except during the warmest summer months whereas a couple of the mystery trees seem to grow a bit better.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »
I'm growing Inga uruguayensis right now, which is (reportedly) one of the hardiest species of Inga.  It's too small to fruit, but maybe next year (if I'm lucky)?

I've been growing a few others -- Inga edulis, Inga feuilleei, Inga spectabilis, and a couple of mystery Ingas.  I haven't figured out anything about their growth except that Inga spectabilis seems to not grow for me except during the warmest summer months whereas a couple of the mystery trees seem to grow a bit better.

Thats awesome Barath :D
It seems like there are a heck of a lot of a\species under the Inga umbrella and you have a nice collection. I hope you offer seeds on this subforum when you have a surplus:D
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »
Stuart, an inga edulis that I had in Orlando Florida held up well on multiple nights in the high 20's F. It seemed unaffected and grew well as soon as the temperature rose.
Life is good

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
Stuart, an inga edulis that I had in Orlando Florida held up well on multiple nights in the high 20's F. It seemed unaffected and grew well as soon as the temperature rose.
Thanks Bob that's really good to know it sounds extremely hardy!
They shouldn't have any problems where I plan to eventually plant them has a minimum of 36f give or take a couple degrees :):)
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »
Are you certain it is Inga edulis? Where did you purchase it? I have not seen a true Inga edulis in Florida (with the pods over a meter).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:27:01 PM by geosulcata »

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 01:18:42 PM »
Geosulcata, I purchased the seeds from Tradewindsfruit.com and after learning that the soil cannot dry out at all was left with one seedling that was eventually planted in the ground. I cannot guarantee that it was edulis but I bought them labeled as edulis. There are some pics of the potted plant somewhere on this forum. If you find the pic let me know if it isn't edulis.
Life is good

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk