Author Topic: TR Hovey Papaya question  (Read 3278 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
TR Hovey Papaya question
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
So I had a young TR Hovey plant, and I am soooo mad that after a flood this Winter (yes, I said Winter, in the middle of the dry season - thanks sea level rise!), it killed my TR Hovey after it was probably months away from its first fruit.

Anyway, learned my lesson, I now want to plant a bunch in various areas of the yard to see which is less prone to brackish water flood so I can get fruit. But buying a bunch of plants is expensive, and I don't know of a local supplier so they'd each have to be shipped. Plus, since I've never tasted it, I'm not even sure if I'll like it enough to spend that much.

*I see lots of advertisements for seeds - but do TR Hovey seeds come true? I also of course wonder how reliable these sellers are in term of correct variety, but I prefer being able to buy online anonymously on Amazon, Etsy, or Ebay, to making arrangements with people on the forum. (Recommendation of specific sellers on any of those 3 sites that you know would be the correct variety and viable seed would also be appreciated.)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: TR Hovey Papaya question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:29 PM »
Think about what you just said. Why would you not want to get your seeds from someone on this forum.You have no trouble asking them questions
Mike

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
I got some 100 TR Hovey seeds and had abysmal germination something like 5 of them, none survived past 1" tall. I don't think I can attribute it to old seed, because I have papaya sprouting in my yard in spots where I removed papaya trees two years ago, so in my limited experience their seeds remain viable a LONG time.

OTOH, EVERY other papaya seed I have planted does really well.

If you get up to north Broward, I have some 1" seed starts I can let you have some.

Regards,

Gary

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »
The seed bank at the University of Hawaii at Manoa offers various seeds, including papaya.  However, they don't have TR Hovey.  My Sunrise papaya is doing quite well.  It's female, so it has minimal white seeds in each fruit.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »
I had near 100% germination of Red Lady seeds from these folks. The pack said >75% germination.
http://www.alohaseed.com/

There is a potassium nitrate treatment, evidently dry seeds can be tough. After nearly 2 weeks I was beginning to have doubts, then they all came up together.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/F_N-8.pdf

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 05:35:09 PM »
Logees sells this plant.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »
So I had a young TR Hovey plant, and I am soooo mad that after a flood this Winter (yes, I said Winter, in the middle of the dry season - thanks sea level rise!), it killed my TR Hovey after it was probably months away from its first fruit.

Anyway, learned my lesson, I now want to plant a bunch in various areas of the yard to see which is less prone to brackish water flood so I can get fruit. But buying a bunch of plants is expensive, and I don't know of a local supplier so they'd each have to be shipped. Plus, since I've never tasted it, I'm not even sure if I'll like it enough to spend that much.

*I see lots of advertisements for seeds - but do TR Hovey seeds come true? I also of course wonder how reliable these sellers are in term of correct variety, but I prefer being able to buy online anonymously on Amazon, Etsy, or Ebay, to making arrangements with people on the forum. (Recommendation of specific sellers on any of those 3 sites that you know would be the correct variety and viable seed would also be appreciated.)

Don't be too mad... the fruit of TR Hovey is more bottom of the barrel than top shelf and that is putting it lightly. Ultra productive variety and good for harvesting green young papaya for Papaya salad but when the fruit is ripe as one other member here put it - it's "like 3lb bags of vomit to eat". I chopped mine down after tasting them. There are much better varieties out there imo for both young and ripe papaya.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:18:07 PM »
Total garbage papaya. You should be praising the rising sea levels for destroying that abomination.  ;D
-Josh

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »

Don't be too mad... the fruit of TR Hovey is more bottom of the barrel than top shelf and that is putting it lightly. Ultra productive variety and good for harvesting green young papaya for Papaya salad but when the fruit is ripe as one other member here put it - it's "like 3lb bags of vomit to eat". I chopped mine down after tasting them. There are much better varieties out there imo for both young and ripe papaya.

Better varieties like what?  Sunrise?

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't the first person to think TR Hoveys were awful. Tainung is a great papaya imo.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 11:16:51 PM »
Red lady, Tainung, many more excellent varieties.  many will start producing fruit a couple feet off the ground.

make a high mound for your trees.   look at how high these are,   
! No longer available

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 12:43:16 AM »
Red Lady is very good and plants are readily/widely available.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 04:04:03 AM »
The seed bank at the University of Hawaii at Manoa offers various seeds, including papaya.  However, they don't have TR Hovey.  My Sunrise papaya is doing quite well.  It's female, so it has minimal white seeds in each fruit.

The seed bank has this note on a couple of papaya:

"These seeds cannot be exported out of the state of Hawaii and require an educational session before purchase. "

What's up with that?

Regards,

Gary

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »

The seed bank has this note on a couple of papaya:

"These seeds cannot be exported out of the state of Hawaii and require an educational session before purchase. "

What's up with that?

That's only for the 2 GMO seeds