Author Topic: Vacuum packaging to preserve scions  (Read 1269 times)

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Vacuum packaging to preserve scions
« on: March 14, 2018, 03:26:32 PM »
I got a doubt I'd like to share with you. I have a vacuum packaging machine at home since a couple of months ago and I'm using it to package scions of some fruit trees (persimmon, stone fruit, chestnut...). But somebody told me that vacuum packaging actually deshidrates scions. I don't understand how is that possible, but this guy has been grafting for years... So I'd appreciate the opinion of those that have tried this before. Any experiences?

Thank you

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum packaging to preserve scions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:32:51 PM »
That's a clever idea, and I can see it gong either way.

It's true that a vacuum will desiccate what's in it. But when it comes to vacuum packing, the volume of the "vacuum" is tiny (since the plastic forms to the shape of the object inside), so would be expected to effectively instantly saturate. and ceased drawing out water.  I seriously doubt the brief time period exposed to suction will cause any measurable dehydration.

The obvious pro to having it sealed is that once it's sealed in there, your water loss will decrease to near insignificance.  My main concern would however be that there's no oxygen getting in.  Yes, plants photosynthesize to produce sugar, but their cells still "breathe" with oxygen when they burn sugars for energy.

So you know, I really don't know what the net result would be.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 03:39:14 PM »
That's a clever idea, and I can see it gong either way.

It's true that a vacuum will desiccate what's in it. But when it comes to vacuum packing, the volume of the "vacuum" is tiny (since the plastic forms to the shape of the object inside), so would be expected to effectively instantly saturate. and ceased drawing out water.  I seriously doubt the brief time period exposed to suction will cause any measurable dehydration.

The obvious pro to having it sealed is that once it's sealed in there, your water loss will decrease to near insignificance.  My main concern would however be that there's no oxygen getting in.  Yes, plants photosynthesize to produce sugar, but their cells still "breathe" with oxygen when they burn sugars for energy.

So you know, I really don't know what the net result would be.

Yes, you just expressed all my thoughts aloud.  ;) Let's see if there are some experiences regarding this matter.

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
I forgot to comment my own (short) experience. I have scions of peach since January 24th packaged with this method in the fridge 39-41ºF (4-5º Celsius). Some of them I opened and closed up to 3 times. Many get back to vacuum with the cuts from chip budding. All of them are green and seem OK so far (7 weeks after). Peach scions are among the "picky" ones, theoretically.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »
I got a doubt I'd like to share with you. I have a vacuum packaging machine at home since a couple of months ago and I'm using it to package scions of some fruit trees (persimmon, stone fruit, chestnut...). But somebody told me that vacuum packaging actually deshidrates scions. I don't understand how is that possible, but this guy has been grafting for years... So I'd appreciate the opinion of those that have tried this before. Any experiences?

Thank you

Per my understanding the scions need to breathe, and grafting tape allows breathing. Vaccum Packaging will potentially suffocate scions? Its quite possible.

Jose Spain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »

Thank you

Per my understanding the scions need to breathe, and grafting tape allows breathing. Vaccum Packaging will potentially suffocate scions? Its quite possible.

Yes, dehydration is one of the possible problems. I guess that is not the same to package a scion of peach in winter than a mango. Metabolic activity rate is totally different, first one is closer to a seed than to a pushing mango. 

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »
It's an interesting concept regardless.  I hope you do this in controlled circumstances (using a statistically-significant sample size and a control group) and document your results.  If it does happen to work, it could be quite a useful technique.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...