Author Topic: Rose Apple  (Read 1988 times)

Sagan

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Rose Apple
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »
The smell is wonderful, they aren't great for eating out of hand but are really good when used lightly in things like pastries or adding as a flavor enhancer when making other fruit jams and jellies.... This tree is so big and vigorous I want to top work it with a few different wax jambus since my family likes those much more. I just need to find some good varieties

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:40:02 PM by Sagan »

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Apple
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:48:30 AM »
My rose apples have a round shape and I really enjoy them out of hand. Have you tried the fruit from other trees?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 05:06:53 AM »
They are called rose or musk apples here and are a coomon street tree.This species is not usually esteemed in my neck of the woods.Myrtle rust is their big enemy,

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »
Our rose apples are also round.  We give them to our guests as an oddity.   Just weird texture (spongy) and taste (rose water). But pretty flowers!

Sagan

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
My rose apples have a round shape and I really enjoy them out of hand. Have you tried the fruit from other trees?
I have tried fruit from several trees, they were all very similar.

Our rose apples are also round.  We give them to our guests as an oddity.   Just weird texture (spongy) and taste (rose water). But pretty flowers!
I agree, they aren't bad when eating fresh- they just are kinda spongy and are completely hollow- just a small amount of flesh and not much to eat... But when you throw a few in the pot when making jams and jellies it adds a awesome flavor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk