Author Topic: Tell us about your new variety of Mangoes...  (Read 1967 times)

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Tell us about your new variety of Mangoes...
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:52:11 AM »
I thought it would be good to start a thread about Mango Breeding projects or seedlings you've been patient enough to fruit.  Post some pictures and any other information you want to share.  I've got a couple seedling projects going myself and thought it would be good to hear about other experiences.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Tell us about your new variety of Mangoes...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:09:47 PM »
Just recently I tried some mango called "Kerala Ripe Mango", They might be Neelem Mango but I am not 100% sure. Anyway, the flavor was something new to me, It was like eating a Pineapple or sweet orange. I have never ate a mango like this flavor before.

Another mango I liked and growing it from seed is Gedong Mango from Indonesia. The fruit is similar to Alphonso in flavor (at least to me) and it also had little bit of Guava flavor but not too strong.
Moh'd

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 12:14:44 AM »
EvilFruit, do u ve any picture of that Kerala mango...?

Clayton

• Oahu, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:27:35 AM »
I bought a dwarf fiberless haden from a local farmer on Oahu, he said its something new. Its been grafted onto a half inch root stock and the newly grafted tree is about 10 inches. He told me it will grow to 10 feet, but I will still need to prune it.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 07:22:55 AM »
Hi Alex,

I have a small seedling project this year.  I'm playing with Venus, Phoenix, Coconut Cream, Lemon Zest, Orange Essence, Ice Cream, Julie, Banganapalli, PPK, ZINC and Rosigold.  Some of them are poly, so I'm hoping to get at least one hybrid seedling.  Once they reach 2 feet or so, I'll take bud wood and graft to older root stock to (hopefully) speed up fruiting.

Regards,
Scott

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 09:28:08 AM »
I have a Julie seedling. Its been fruiting heavily for years. The small fruits have the typical Julie "nose" are super colorful as bright pink, orange and yellow. The tree is not susceptible to fungi like Julie are and the tree despite never being top pruned is still but 15' tall. Not bad... I got it in a 1/2 wine barrel with a fairly large trunk and canopy at about 5' tall in 2012

If not ripe the fruit are pasty tasting like glue but once ripe are juicy and sweet with undertones of pineapple.

I've grafted several and friends who tasted the fruit eagerly took the grafted trees and one fruited this summer.

Anyway since seedlings are treated with such distain I call it Juicy Lucy. If it ever became necessary,  I'd chop a few others before taking this one out :-)

Regards,

Gary

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »
EvilFruit, do u ve any picture of that Kerala mango...?

Yes

Moh'd

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »
Awesome Scott!  Lets stay connected on those projects.

Gnappi Ive heard of your Juicy Lucy.  I think Roberto posted its brix rating once amd said very good things about it.  Sounds very appealing by your description.  Im actually doing a couple myself.  Just as Scott described I'll be grafting them onto mature trees as well.  Polys will be left to compete in same pot and once they reach scion quality they'll get cut and grafted.  Same with Monos once theyre ready I'll keep cutting amd grafting onto trees.

Heres my list so far:   Madame Francis from Haiti, Mingolo and Banilejo from DR,  a bunch special Nam Dak Mai looking variety that the owner told me it was a totapuri seedling his father planted (some poly seeds some mono), Carrie, Royal Purple,  Orange Delicious, Banana Mango,  Irwin, Super Julie, Chokanon, Kent, Mahachanok, Zills Raw Honey, Haden, & San Felipe.   The most special to me is my "Mimas Nurse" project.

My grandmother who we all call Mima and all my friends also know as Mima spent some time recently in the hospital battling her diabetes.  We were talking about Mangoes in the hospital room and her nurse jumped in the conversation and said her mother had planted a Julie seed in her back yard over 30 years ago.  She claimed it was better than the Julies back home in Jamaica and Mima asked her to bring her some for me to plant a seed for her.  The nurse asked if it was ok being that Mimas sugar was literally in the 500s.  We said it was ok and she brought 2 mangoes.  I had it also in my head to plant the seeds in hope for something special to come out and wow they are special.  One sprouted with no leaves and just this most akward little stem kept pushing forward.  It grew to about 4 inches with no leaves and then all of a sudden grew leaves.  Then the other sprouted into what my grandmother said she's never seen before.  This seedling has the fattest leaves Ive ever seen and its extremely vigorous.  She begged me to keep that one with her and work it until it fruits.  I'll keep you all posted on my findings.  Also pray for Mima if you dont mind.  Thank you

Best Regards,
Alex

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 07:57:31 AM »
Awesome Scott!  Lets stay connected on those projects.

Gnappi Ive heard of your Juicy Lucy.  I think Roberto posted its brix rating once amd said very good things about it.  Sounds very appealing by your description.  Im actually doing a couple myself.  Just as Scott described I'll be grafting them onto mature trees as well.  Polys will be left to compete in same pot and once they reach scion quality they'll get cut and grafted.  Same with Monos once theyre ready I'll keep cutting amd grafting onto trees.

Heres my list so far:   Madame Francis from Haiti, Mingolo and Banilejo from DR,  a bunch special Nam Dak Mai looking variety that the owner told me it was a totapuri seedling his father planted (some poly seeds some mono), Carrie, Royal Purple,  Orange Delicious, Banana Mango,  Irwin, Super Julie, Chokanon, Kent, Mahachanok, Zills Raw Honey, Haden, & San Felipe.   The most special to me is my "Mimas Nurse" project.

My grandmother who we all call Mima and all my friends also know as Mima spent some time recently in the hospital battling her diabetes.  We were talking about Mangoes in the hospital room and her nurse jumped in the conversation and said her mother had planted a Julie seed in her back yard over 30 years ago.  She claimed it was better than the Julies back home in Jamaica and Mima asked her to bring her some for me to plant a seed for her.  The nurse asked if it was ok being that Mimas sugar was literally in the 500s.  We said it was ok and she brought 2 mangoes.  I had it also in my head to plant the seeds in hope for something special to come out and wow they are special.  One sprouted with no leaves and just this most akward little stem kept pushing forward.  It grew to about 4 inches with no leaves and then all of a sudden grew leaves.  Then the other sprouted into what my grandmother said she's never seen before.  This seedling has the fattest leaves Ive ever seen and its extremely vigorous.  She begged me to keep that one with her and work it until it fruits.  I'll keep you all posted on my findings.  Also pray for Mima if you dont mind.  Thank you

Best Regards,
Alex

Hope she gets better and gets to taste the fruit one day.