Author Topic: Seeking help. Young mango plant wilting.  (Read 1428 times)

Sameer

• Kathmandu, Nepal
    • View Profile
Seeking help. Young mango plant wilting.
« on: August 24, 2019, 12:09:58 AM »
Greetings all,

A new member here from Nepal. I'm so glad to find this forum! (Please advise if I am double posting the topic)

I recently bought a grafted mango (Nam doc mai) and transplanted into a pot. A week later the plant is clearly showing signs of distress. I used a potting mix of about 70% well-draining nursery bought soil and 30% vermicompost and some gravel chips at the bottom. I added in a few grains of seaweed fertilizer along the edges of the pot. I just water it occasionally (every few days when the soil dries). It gets full sun but its monsoons here so we have some cloud cover. Is this a sign of some pathogenic disease?  I would really appreciate your feedback and advice on how to save this plant.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help. Young mango plant wilting.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 05:16:37 AM »
The soil is too heavy. Needs to be repotted with new soil that is better draining.

Clayton

• Oahu, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
Regular soil doesn't drain well in pots. One part peat moss, one part compost, and one part small lava rock or perlite works for me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 06:14:01 PM by Clayton »

Sameer

• Kathmandu, Nepal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
Thank you, FMfruitforest and Clayton for your advice. I thought I used a well-draining soil (newbie here).. but perhaps like you suggested was not good enough for mangoes. I will try repotting with a better mix. I have some perlite so will be using that too. I will update you on the results. Hope the plant survives. :)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
it is too late for this tree. The little tomato seedlings had killed the mango. From the tomato seedlings I don't think this new pot transplant is one week old. What was the average high/low temperature there?

Sameer

• Kathmandu, Nepal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 09:32:00 PM »
Hi Sapote,
              Thanks for your insight. You are right. Unfortunately, the plant is declining even after a repot. The potting was done almost two weeks ago, but I began to notice it under stress about a week later. But you brought up an interesting point on the tomato seedlings. Do you mean tomato plants released some toxins into the soil that damaged the mango roots? In fact, I had mixed a bit of nursery soil that was remaining in another pot to make up for the volume.. I wasn't aware it was laden with tomato seeds. Lesson learned!
Currently, the temperature in Kathmandu ranges from 65F to 85F.. with rain showers. The pot was safe from rain.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:37:09 PM by Sameer »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 02:51:55 PM »
tomatoes do carry more disease than other plans, but I was just kidding in this case.

How many drain holes the pot has? Even if this is the case of root rot due to drainage, I don't think it should happen this fast in a week.

Killer: could be air pockets in the soil; damaged roots during transplanting/potting;

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »
Water the plant and make sure it drains well. Use your hands and feel the dirt to make sure it isn’t soggy after a day. Give it partial sun and dig around the trunk to make sure that tree isn’t buried too deep. As long as it’s not bacterial or fungal the tree should recover. Good luck.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Sameer

• Kathmandu, Nepal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 11:15:48 PM »
I have cut the plant near the first main node in the hope of stopping the die-back. But at this point its all over for this plant, I think. Not sure if this is a case of a waterlogged pot, maybe it was some transplant shock. The plant came in a ball of clay soil as is the normal method here for transporting grafts. Meanwhile, another plant 'Maldaha' variety from North India which I bought some time ago, seems to be doing well with a garden transplant. As an afterthought, I feel I should have just directly planted the NDM into the garden. :)