Author Topic: ?? mango season ??  (Read 1345 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
?? mango season ??
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:24:59 PM »
for the south ca. area are there mango varieties that are known as "early season"  "mid season"  and "late season" ?? I will soon be replacing a tree with 2 more trees and would really like to extend the season as long as possible.       Regards    Patrick

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: ?? mango season ??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »
bump

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 01:32:41 PM »
Hey Patrick,

I don’t believe we have much data collected in terms of early, mid and late season Mango varieties for Southern California.

Warren is very knowledgeable and may have more information. In our colder climate, our fruit hangs on the tree for extended periods of time and our cooler weather also triggers secondary and even tertiary blooms.

For some varieties like Maha Chanok and Sweet Tart, we can oftentimes get an early crop and a second later crop.

In my yard, I have noticed that Glenn seems to be one of the earlier varieties year in and out. Maha, Edward and Carrie can be early to mid season but if the first or second blooms get frozen back or there was no fruit set, the third blooms can produce late season fruit instead.

I have noticed in Leo’s yard that the larger fruiting varieties seem to ripen later in the season. Right now is prime harvesting season in Leo Manuel’s yard.

I currently have Cotton Candy, Peach Cobbler and a single Lemon Zest still hanging on my trees.

This is a great thread and I hope we can gather more information from other SoCal growers so that we can make better recommendations in the future.

Simon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 03:40:35 PM »
This ultimate mango list can be a guide for us.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1586.msg21809#msg21809

Simon

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 09:15:00 AM »
Are you talking about the list of varieties in USA only? If not read the following. Mangifera indica probably has thousands of cultivars in South Asia alone! There are probably thrice that number of unknown ones still exist. May be twice those known were lost (Personal experience of over 80 years of over thousand cultivars/varieties of mango tasting) I just mentioned this because this is an International Fruit Forum. Thank you. Triphal

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 01:25:52 AM »
I have a "Carrie" in a 7 gal that started to flower in September. Of the two bloom spikes It produced 2 fruit. The fruit are hanging and look like they will reach maturity in a couple weeks. Now I noticed that all the other branches are pushing out blooms as I type- very odd behavior considering I have owned another Carrie tree for years that produces at the usual time. The fruit is Carrie in appearance. I have Pickering blooming as well. My trees are acting a bit strange this year...I believe my Emperor lychee might be pushing flowers as well. Strange times
-Chris

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 11:20:42 AM »
My Keo Savory is having its second bloom.  The last bloom produce fruits the size of a walnut.  My tree is new and this is its first year in my 25 gallons pot and its roots are in the ground.  I may have to dig the pot out and cur the roots  so i may move the pot to a new location. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk