Author Topic: New cherimoya  (Read 1270 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
New cherimoya
« on: January 10, 2020, 11:55:30 PM »
Two years ago, i asked Steve at Exotica Nursery in Vista California for a cherimoya that taste like a sugar apple.  He presented to me a seedlings that is not even a foot tall. After 2 years of growth with lots of TLC, the tree self pollinate and produce a good amount of cherimoya.  The cherimoya are about the size of a small orange and have a thick skin.  The tree is cold tolerant.  I had to pick the fruit early because i had a lot of rats eating my cherimoya.  I let the cherimoya soft on the kitchen cabinet and when it was time to taste the fruit, i was expecting a cherimoya flavor—pineapple/banana/tart.  But it tasted like a chewy sugar apple.  It is a great find and a wonderful tree.  I hope the fruit will get bigger with time.  Below are the pictures of the fruit and the inside.  I have scions if you guys want them.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: New cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing! What is the leaf shape? To my palate, Atemoyas and Cherimoya/Atemoya Hybrids have some sugar apple flavor and aroma. Leo’s Hybrids 1 and 3 have some sugar apple flavor.

Simon

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
It is cherimoya leaves

Thanks for sharing! What is the leaf shape? To my palate, Atemoyas and Cherimoya/Atemoya Hybrids have some sugar apple flavor and aroma. Leo’s Hybrids 1 and 3 have some sugar apple flavor.

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 09:14:03 AM »
Congrats!  I'd still call it an atemoya.
John

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »
not grafted just a seedling??? did he tell you what the seedling was from??

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 11:09:28 PM »
He did not tell me.  Steve did keep a couple of trees for himself and his trees also produce the same quality of fruit. You can find it on his Instagram.

not grafted just a seedling??? did he tell you what the seedling was from??