Author Topic: New Fruit Similar to Starapple  (Read 38287 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: New Fruit Similar to Starapple
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 05:41:45 AM »
Mike, that starapple looks a lot bigger than the pink ones i have. I'm guessing from your description of the leaf that your fruit is regular C. cainito. The C. auratum i have has no bronze coloring on underside and the leaves are wider and rounder than those of C. cainito. I'll try to do a leaf comparison shot. Also it's looking like the C. auratum tree will be a lot smaller tree than the starapple. Every single fruit i've opened of auratum so far has only one seed inside.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 06:05:51 AM »
Oscar yes I am sure you are correct and I have no pictures of smaller ones or those trees with green under the leaves. C.auratum probably is not here but there is something else that is quite different from the normal starapples.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
Oscar you have mail.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2013, 03:52:27 AM »
Here is a comparison photo of leaves and fruits of C. auratum next to my giant purple starapple. As you can see size, shape, and especially underside color of leaves is very different:
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
Oscar put me for some seeds please!
El verde es vida!

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
Oscar,

Thought you might be interested in this: http://www.amjbot.org/content/99/3/585.full

You may have already seen this article, but it seems to support the conclusion that what you have is C.argenteum ssp. auratum, a subspecies apparently found in Ecuador, where Jim West lives.

This subspecies of C. argenteum is described as follows: "the fruits are single-seeded, and the abaxial leaf surface [is] ... sericeous with golden hairs (subsp. auratum)"
James

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »
Oscar,

Thought you might be interested in this: http://www.amjbot.org/content/99/3/585.full

You may have already seen this article, but it seems to support the conclusion that what you have is C.argenteum ssp. auratum, a subspecies apparently found in Ecuador, where Jim West lives.

This subspecies of C. argenteum is described as follows: "the fruits are single-seeded, and the abaxial leaf surface [is] ... sericeous with golden hairs (subsp. auratum)"

Thanks, i hadn't seen that. Do have the Pennington monograph on Sapotaceae and looked it up there. Doesn't fit 100% the description there given of auratum, but close enough that it's probably just a variation of auratum. Yes collected in Ecuador, so that part fits. West told me in personal conversation he's not certain it is auratum, but we can't figure out what else it would be.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
Oscar put me for some seeds please!

How many do you want?
Oscar

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »
Oscar, do you know germination time on these? I planted ten seeds back in late June...all rotted except one which has just remained in this little, green, radicle/cotyledon stage...It's in partial sun...

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
I received 5 seeds and only one sprouted, the other 4 rotted. Here is a photo of the winner so far. Not sure if I should transplant since the tap root is so long, any ideas? not sure how fragile this plant is.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
I don't think I had any successful ones sprout out  :'(. All rotted here I believe.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitnursery

• Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »
Oscar,

Can you pm price of seeds and deliver charge.

Regards,

Berns
Tropical fruit collector enthusiast

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2013, 11:07:22 PM »
I received 5 seeds and only one sprouted, the other 4 rotted. Here is a photo of the winner so far. Not sure if I should transplant since the tap root is so long, any ideas? not sure how fragile this plant is. Actualy had 2 make it, one I gave to Rtreid.

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »
fruitlovers, do you have anymore seeds of this star fruit. i would really like some.
thanks

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2013, 03:22:52 AM »
fruitlovers, do you have anymore seeds of this star fruit. i would really like some.
thanks

I have a few from same batch i sent to you guys, and they are all sprouting inside the zip lock bag with vermiculite. If you want some sprouted seeds Eduardo can send you those.
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2013, 06:47:44 AM »
Oscar, do you think germinated seeds would have good chances to survive? I don't have good experiences with germinated seeds...

eduardo_98

• USA, Florida, Tampa, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
sent you a pm oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
After some digging it appears that a really good line of C.auratum is here in Australia.It has fruit a little larger than the one in the picture from Oscar and has only one seed per fruit. The variety goes by the name Juicy pearl.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »
After some digging it appears that a really good line of C.auratum is here in Australia.It has fruit a little larger than the one in the picture from Oscar and has only one seed per fruit. The variety goes by the name Juicy pearl.

Photos please. Size is dependent on quantity of fert. This tree of mine has been getting little fert, mostly on automatic pilot, ie lots of neglect.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
Oscar I will do my best to get pix.As you know there are 5 subspecies of C.auratum and these are quite variable with 3 subspecies having fruit with a single seed and the other 2 having more than one seed.They are very closely related to common starapples.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »
http://www.amjbot.org/content/99/3/585.full

When you google this species there seems to be a bit of diversity in the fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
Oscar I will do my best to get pix.As you know there are 5 subspecies of C.auratum and these are quite variable with 3 subspecies having fruit with a single seed and the other 2 having more than one seed.They are very closely related to common starapples.

I read an online scientific paper stating that C. auratum is probably wild ancestor of common starapple. Would be great if you can get photos of some of the different subspecies. These are all mentioned in the Sapotaceae monograph of Pennington.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »
I'll try to post pics of the fruit from ones here as well. I think they may be seedlings of the ones in NQ Mike.
Mine is super slow growing! Looking more like a multi stemmed shrub at the moment.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:16 AM »
The Petersen paper is one I posted below. Wild star apples and domestic ones seem to be a bit different and I am not sure if the paper indicates domestic ones have some C.auratum blood (sap).From what I understand there is only rainforest pearl here for sure and Oscar's is one of the other 4 subspecies. The other varieties I mentioned are just improved green or gold star apples.
A difference between the species mentioned in the Peterson paper is that wild star apples are a rainforest to edge canopy tree and C.auratum is smaller not reaching the canopy even when in rainforest.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2013, 04:43:04 AM »
The Petersen paper is one I posted below. Wild star apples and domestic ones seem to be a bit different and I am not sure if the paper indicates domestic ones have some C.auratum blood (sap).From what I understand there is only rainforest pearl here for sure and Oscar's is one of the other 4 subspecies. The other varieties I mentioned are just improved green or gold star apples.
A difference between the species mentioned in the Peterson paper is that wild star apples are a rainforest to edge canopy tree and C.auratum is smaller not reaching the canopy even when in rainforest.

Paper posted below where?
Oscar