Author Topic: Cherimoya pruning  (Read 779 times)

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
Cherimoya pruning
« on: July 30, 2020, 10:06:52 PM »
Hi all,

Hope all my friends are staying safe during these times.

I'm after some advice on how to best prune this Cherimoya, which I'll then do similar on my other annonas. It's coming into the last month of winter in Australia and I believe the next few weeks would be a good time to prune. I'm looking at keeping the tree fairly compact and will plant in the ground at about 10-11 ft centres.

Thanks
Joe

dadloring

• Canada/BC/Victoria/Zone9a
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya pruning
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 10:18:59 PM »
Sorry to ask a question instead of give any advice but... what kind of soil mix do you use for potted annona?

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 10:30:44 PM »
I use what we call a standard ' fruit potting mix' which consists of manure,compost, wood material and added trace elements. I tthen add about 10% perlite (not weight but sight) for drainage.

dadloring

• Canada/BC/Victoria/Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 10:56:26 PM »
Thanks. I figure your tree looks great and im about to uppot a bunch of grafted seedlings, so had to ask :)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 01:14:45 PM »
The consensus seems to be on removing 60%+ of growth each year. Those are very long and thin branches that will probably snap if it tries to carry any fruit. I wouldn't hesitate to cut them back hard, they come back fast

I also pinch all new growth when its about 10-12" long to get them to branch out. You need strong branches in the interior of the tree to support the heavy fruits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk