Author Topic: chilli overload  (Read 7936 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
chilli overload
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »

Fruit waste in yard is greatest with chillis and with many crazy productive plants including the thai gourmet and bhut jolokia above even the foraging birds can't keep up.When the morugas and butch T's start producing the jolokias will be the 3rd hottest in the yard and I will have to try using them properly.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: chilli overload
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
Hey Mike,

One of these days you will need the fire brigade on standby...YIKES :o ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
The ghost is a crazy producer.  A second year plant had about 700 chilies on it at one time.  I'm growing the Butch T.  Didn't hear of the Moruga until afterwards.  But hell, once you get to that heat level...it's nothing but hallucinations from there!   :o

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
The ghost is a crazy producer.  A second year plant had about 700 chilies on it at one time.  I'm growing the Butch T.  Didn't hear of the Moruga until afterwards.  But hell, once you get to that heat level...it's nothing but hallucinations from there!   :o

What's the point of eating really hot chilies? It is better to eat more of a lesser chile to get a full pepper taste. I like hot stuff and don't find Sriracha (rooster) sauce to be too hot. It is good on eggs etc. But why bother going hotter than this?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:25:54 AM »

What's the point of eating really hot chilies? It is better to eat more of a lesser chile to get a full pepper taste. I like hot stuff and don't find Sriracha (rooster) sauce to be too hot. It is good on eggs etc. But why bother going hotter than this?

Truth be told it's mostly a mucho macho thing. Also it's a "my chili is hotter than your chili" thing. But surprisingly the bhut jolokia is a quite good tasting chili. It's not just hot. So i would rank it in the gourmet chili class. I haven't tried the latest pyroclastic chilis: Butch T, Moruga, Scorpion, etc. so can't comment on those.
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:45 AM »
Your plants look great Mike, makes my backside hurt just reading about them. :o  I have a beautiful chili del monte bush that grows as a perennial for me here.  It gets about 7-8' tall and covered in pea sized fruits.  I love the things, they are like piking embers out of the fire.  They are nice and hot plus great taste, good used fresh or dried and the bush is very productive.

-Ethan

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:12:52 AM »
When used with good sense, these super hots do have a nice flavor and can impart another dimension to a dish.  Oscar's pretty much hit the nail on the head...it is a macho thing for the most part.  A lot of it is the fun of someone else's reaction!

I've made numerous types of fruit jellies with them.  Let me tell you...cream cheese on a Ritz cracker with a dollop of the hot jelly is crazy good.  Even the folks who don't like heat will line up for this.  I've also incorporated the chilies...fresh and powder form...into peanut brittle.  The amount of sugar and fat is just enough...well...almost enough to cut the burn.  And it's great for a little Christmas gift to the guy in the office who thinks ketchup is hot!!

Seems like half the people I work with are into this and everyone brings chips and salsas in during the season.  How can one NOT appreciate that?!

But yeah...it is pretty f'ing stupid at times!!   ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:17:27 AM »
I agree with Jay, the hot jellies are really...well a hot item!  ;) There is a lady here that specializes in them and she always sells out at fairs.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 07:34:09 AM »
I agree with Jay, the hot jellies are really...well a hot item!  ;) There is a lady here that specializes in them and she always sells out at fairs.

Because the sugar (or other sweetener) modulates the heat. I use 30,000 unit cayenne a lot, also in a master cleanse kind of hot drink. I use more of that than less of a 90,000 unit African bird pepper which used to be considered very hot (15 years ago)

But I should get a pepper bush going..... kind of a perennial here same as for MikeT in Australia

ZZZZ

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 07:43:24 AM »
Zands I am hacking my pepper patch all the time.If you don't have it on a good pole it is hard to contain.I believe you are a bit of a citus man.In a place I went today in the citrus patch was a small tree I have neve seen and doubt it was a citrus.Does this one ring any bells with you?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »
You know, everyone focusing on capsaicin content of chilis is focusing on the small time.   ;)  Try some resin spurge or something else with resiniferatoxin.  It activates the same pain receptors as capsaicin, but is orders of magnitude more potent.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:08 AM »
Zands I am hacking my pepper patch all the time.If you don't have it on a good pole it is hard to contain.I believe you are a bit of a citus man.In a place I went today in the citrus patch was a small tree I have neve seen and doubt it was a citrus.Does this one ring any bells with you?

Thanks for the pole advice!!! As far as that volunteer since the fruit is purple it is probably a throwback, acidic, sour, lots of thick skin, not much sweet. No citrus is so dark. Taste it when ripe and let us know....

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
You know, everyone focusing on capsaicin content of chilis is focusing on the small time.   ;)  Try some resin spurge or something else with resiniferatoxin.  It activates the same pain receptors as capsaicin, but is orders of magnitude more potent.

Could you tell us more about this? What plants contain resiniferatoxin?
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »

Could you tell us more about this? What plants contain resiniferatoxin?
Yes... this will be an excellent experiment on friends and beloved family members  ;D ;D ;D
Tim

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »
Resin spurge, for example.  And if you try it, plan on them being ex-friends and estranged family members.  ;)  Just like capsaicin, it doesn't do any real damage by itself - it just activates the receptor TrpV1.  But it's so potent that the inflammatory response from your body can do damage, like what would happen if you downed a kilogram of bhut jholokia peppers or half a cup of pure capsaicin, only you only need a tenth of a gram  of resiniferatoxin to do the same thing.  Pure capsaicin is 16 million on the scoville scale.  Resiniferatoxin is 16 *billion*.  To put it another way, what anaheim or poblano pepper is to a bhut jholokia on the scoville scale, capsaicin is to resiniferatoxin.

Happy dining  ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:37:51 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »
This is powerful stuff!!!! I looked it up on Wiki, which is NOT the best source for info by far......but this is what I found:

"Resiniferatoxin is toxic and can inflict chemical burns. Animal experiments indicate that ingestion of 40g or less may be fatal or cause serious damage to health.[11]"  11. Material Safety Data Sheet for resiniferatoxin, 2009

Good God almighty!! Fatal to animals?? I think this applies to us?? (nervous laugh)  :o :o :o :o

Chris
✌🏽

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 02:30:05 AM »
I think a lot of euphorbias are toxic.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 06:04:02 AM »
To be fair, I don't think there's a person on the planet who could manage to consume 40 grams of resiniferatoxin   ;)  And yeah, I think any plants containing TrpV1 agents as powerful as resiniferatoxin are properly named "toxic"  ;)  Again, like capsaicin, it won't injure you directly, but you tick off your body so much that it attacks itself!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:05:14 AM by KarenRei »

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
This is as close as I come to chili overload, no where near the potency of Mike T's plants but they're fun to eat with decent flavor.  They are my Dad's

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:28:18 PM by Tim »
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 08:23:03 PM »

Fruit waste in yard is greatest with chillis and with many crazy productive plants including the thai gourmet and bhut jolokia above even the foraging birds can't keep up.When the morugas and butch T's start producing the jolokias will be the 3rd hottest in the yard and I will have to try using them properly.

I really don't understand the attraction to butch T's, scorpions etc. You'd have to have an insane tolerance to really enjoy them, that excludes me. Anything hotter than a Jalapeno and I'm out.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 04:15:51 AM »
I have retired the super hot chillis and now only grow edible types within my tolerance limits.One concession is that a single  Carolina Reeper with its first flowers is growing in my vegie patch.It is my tribute to the new champ and first to cross the 2 million Scoville 'impossible' barrier.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 04:17:38 AM »
Yep! Folks back neighbour has a yellow butch t and it is about 1.5 m tall and covered in attractive yellow fruit. I didn't think they got that big but they pack some hurt.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 06:47:12 AM »
Still growing the Butch T and a hybrid of the Carolina Reaper.  I still love the hot and spicy food but use the peppers sparingly these days.  The body is just not handling them like it used to.  The gastrointestinal distress from beginning to end of the road is just not worth it.  They certainly can ruin an afternoon.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 07:57:58 AM »
I have white ghost, datill, ghost, bird, and Trinidad scorpion growing. The only one fruiting is the datill, they are the same heat as a habanero but starts really sweet and the heat comes in half way through. 

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 08:30:29 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I was thinkin of usin the scorpions to make a tea or something like that to use as a bit of a natural napalm for caterpillars and other bugs on par with plant destruction. Any body else tried this cos its the only thing I can think of to use these things in a useful manner.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 09:11:44 AM »
I make hot vinegar with them.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »
Hi guys I'm also overwhelm, check these Chocolate Scorpion and Chocolate Browns chillis, they didn't give me time to cut them back last year, they fruited year round, that one plant was so loaded it broke the stakes and  fell to the side, the trunk's  are 1 1/2 inches thick, on them, I grew 40 or 50 varieties last year, but cut way back this year, I'm  just sticking to the crosses I made last year between Morugas, Carolina Reapers, and Douglah's.
Carlos O.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk