Author Topic: Some Traditional Fijian Fruit Trees (& one mystery)  (Read 15562 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Some Traditional Fijian Fruit Trees (& one mystery)
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
Definitely not camansi, leaves of which looks very similar to breadfruit.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
Definitely not camansi, leaves of which looks very similar to breadfruit.
I'll compare again, but the juvenile leaves shown on page 7 of the pdf file linked in my prior note appear somewhat similar to mine. I'll take a closer look.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »
I went back to the nursery that gave me the 'Indian Breadfruit" and learned two things.  First, Indian Breadfruit is nothing more than Jackfruit.  Apparently Jackfruit came to Fiji from India when the British brought Indian labourers to Fiji to work sugar cane plantations.  It is more commonly called Jackfruit here, but apparently some of the indigenous people still call it Indian Breadfruit.

The second thing I learned is that I was given the wrong seedling.  My earlier photos of the mystery plant were really only an Ivi nut tree.  I already have Jackfruit in the ground, so didn't bother getting another.

Here's the real "Indian Breadfruit" (Jackfruit) seedling:

And the mature tree from a nearby yard:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:55:58 AM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 01:04:19 AM »
I went back to the nursery that gave me the 'Indian Breadfruit" and learned two things.  First, Indian Breadfruit is nothing more than Jackfruit.  Apparently Jackfruit came to Fiji from India when the British brought Indian labourers to Fiji to work sugar cane plantations.  It is more commonly called Jackfruit here, but apparently some of the indigenous people still call it Indian Breadfruit.

The second thing I learned is that I was given the wrong seedling.  My earlier photos of the mystery plant were really only an Ivi nut tree.  I already have Jackfruit in the ground, so didn't bother getting another.

Here's the real "Indian Breadfruit" (Jackfruit) seedling:

Yes i mentioned to you in previous post that indian breadfruit is an old name for jackfruit, but was confusing because your photo was no jackfruit. Jackfruit originates in Southern India.
Oscar