Author Topic: Update of my Orchard...vid:)  (Read 10053 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Update of my Orchard...vid:)
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:20:27 AM »
Hi Fellow members :),

Here's a slide show with recent and some old pics from the orchard 8)

Update of my orchard!

The music is from a Cape Verdean singer with a magnificent voice and one of my top favorite singer of all times :), Cesaria Evora, who sadly passed away last year :'( Let her soul rest in peace and she will never be forgotten...her music is immortal and will be loved by everyone, in the generations to come! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesaria_Evora

I hope everyone likes the vid and the music :)

Take care,
Steven
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Elmango

• View Profile
Re: Update of my Orchard...vid:)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:33:36 AM »
A very diverse collection of fruit trees. Your farm is awesome and beautiful music.

Thanks for the presentation.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »
Wow!  Great presentation and nice looking trees.  Thanks for posting it.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »
Great-looking orchard, Steven.

really enjoyed seeing a lot of those fruits, especially the semi-temperate ones like persimmons and grapes. Also, I finally have an image to what the lucuma and tamarillos will look like when mine start to fruit.

Thanks again,
Jaime

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:19:12 AM »
Nice show! Great music too.. Your soil looks nice and rich!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
Nice orchard!   8)  I enjoyed the video.  :)
Alexi

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
A very diverse collection of fruit trees. Your farm is awesome and beautiful music.
Thanks for the presentation.

Hi Elmango,
  :) Welcome to the forum, fellow member ;)

Thanks :)...Happy that you enjoyed the music and the slide show :) I am trying my best to plant different species, so that in the near future, i will have fruit's year round...that's my long term goal 8)

Wow!  Great presentation and nice looking trees.  Thanks for posting it.

Hi Gwenn,
Thanks  :) Glad you enjoyed the presentation...my pleasure :)

Great-looking orchard, Steven.

really enjoyed seeing a lot of those fruits, especially the semi-temperate ones like persimmons and grapes. Also, I finally have an image to what the lucuma and tamarillos will look like when mine start to fruit.

Thanks again,
Jaime

Hi Jaime,
Thanks :) I like to plant fruit trees from temperate to tropical in the orchard 8)...Those grapes in the vid are table grapes, most of the property is planted with wine grapes(very old vines)...armon, jaqué and americana. The armon and jaqué producing a very dark, super sweet juice, that i need to dilute with a bit of water to make the juice drinkable(i can't handle it's sweetness :-[ ) I also have loquat's,cherries and some stone fruits in the orchard.

Happy to show you Lucuma and Tamarillo 8) I really hope my lucuma produces this year :)

Nice show! Great music too.. Your soil looks nice and rich!

Hi Patrick,
Thanks :) I have a few projects, that i will share in the near future :) Yes, the soil is nice and rich :)

Nice orchard!   8)  I enjoyed the video.  :)

Hi Alexi,
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:39:25 PM »
Really nice trees in your orchard.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »
Will check out the video when I get home. Looks like its going to be good!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 06:40:40 PM »
Great video Steven.

Patrick and I are thinking about running a contest next month for the best yard tour (pictures or video) in which members vote for their favorite and winner gets a prize. Your video would be a good first entry. I'll try to make the contest post later today.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »
Hi Steven,
Thanks for sharing that slideshow of your orchard. I enjoyed looking at the various trees/vines you have growing. It gives me an idea of what to expect with some of the young grapes and figs I have. You have a pretty broad range of things you grow.  8) 8)  I can't imagine the amount of cherimoya that massive tree gives out during peak season! You have no shortage of figs either! You could feed the neighborhood with that harvest. lol  ;D ;D Please let us know if your dry and sunny conditions make for a better tasting TA mango.  ;)

Chris
✌🏽

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »
Steven
Great photos and video. Beautiful orchard that you have... Yes it was sad to hear of Cesaria's passing. She was a great singer!
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »
precioso Steven!!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
Wow Steven, it looks lovely there, congrats on all your hard work starting to pay off.

-Ethan

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:39 PM »
Does anyone have a music composition background? I studied opera performance and if anyone will write fruit libretto, I'll sing it to one of the videos. :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 01:19:42 AM »
Hi Steven, very very nice! Looks like you've been perfecting not only your gardening skills but also your video making skills! Hat's off to you! Keep up the good work.
PS i also enjoyed the music. I'd never heard of that singer before.
Oscar

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 02:38:52 AM »
Thanks Steven. Loved the video and your orchard!  Most impressive and beautiful music.  Dave

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
Great video steven, loved everything. The persimmons looked tasty, is the persimmon a non astringent variety?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »
Really nice trees in your orchard.
Hi Renee,
Thanks  :)

Great video Steven.
Patrick and I are thinking about running a contest next month for the best yard tour (pictures or video) in which members vote for their favorite and winner gets a prize. Your video would be a good first entry. I'll try to make the contest post later today.
Hi Mura,
Yard tour contest :o...Excellent idea indeed 8) It's going to be epic!!! Can't wait to see them pics and videos from fellow members :) 8)

Hi Steven,
Thanks for sharing that slideshow of your orchard. I enjoyed looking at the various trees/vines you have growing. It gives me an idea of what to expect with some of the young grapes and figs I have. You have a pretty broad range of things you grow.  8) 8)  I can't imagine the amount of cherimoya that massive tree gives out during peak season! You have no shortage of figs either! You could feed the neighborhood with that harvest. lol  ;D ;D Please let us know if your dry and sunny conditions make for a better tasting TA mango.  ;)
Chris
Hi Chris,
Glad you enjoyed the slideshow...my pleasure :) Diversification is the way to go! I highly encourage fellow members to diversify and get a year round fruits for family and friends to enjoy :) My figs are very productive...but, when the cherimoya season kicks in...oh boy, it's bags and bags of fruits :o I don't like wasting any produce...i share with family, friends and neighbours! There is enough for everyone :)
You got it, Chris ;D I will definitely post an update on Tommy Atkins ;) It's going to be the first time, I eat a tree ripened mango...it's going to be epic ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
Steven
Great photos and video. Beautiful orchard that you have... Yes it was sad to hear of Cesaria's passing. She was a great singer!
FGM

Hi FloridaGreenMan,
Thanks :)  I totally agree with you...Great singer indeed :)

precioso Steven!!
Hi Joe,
Muchas gracias :)

Wow Steven, it looks lovely there, congrats on all your hard work starting to pay off.

-Ethan
Hi Ethan,
I really enjoy the hard work and do my best to keep them happy :)

Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »
Hi Steven, very very nice! Looks like you've been perfecting not only your gardening skills but also your video making skills! Hat's off to you! Keep up the good work.
PS i also enjoyed the music. I'd never heard of that singer before.

Hi Oscar,
Thanks :) All this these kind words makes me blush ;D ;D ;D Practise makes perfect :) Thanks for the encouragement...will keep the good work :)

Glad you enjoyed the music...I have almost all her albums :) She also sings a bit of French and Spanish like Petit pays, Je t'aime beaucoup and Besame mucho 8)
Here's a playlist for you :)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=AL94UKMTqg-9AhWo7FMh9K75qRFTgVT7Rz

Thanks Steven. Loved the video and your orchard!  Most impressive and beautiful music.  Dave
Hi Dave,

Great video steven, loved everything. The persimmons looked tasty, is the persimmon a non astringent variety?

Hi Stephen,
Thanks :) Glad you loved everything :) My uncle planted this tree, around 4 years ago...I don't know what variety it is :-\ It's an astringent variety. The tree always aborted the fruits in the first two years. last year only one fruit ripen...this year there is 8+ fruits...YIPPEE ;D I also have a jiro tree here and them fruits are super sweet 8)
Time is like a river.

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
Hi Steven,

thanks for sharing, nice orchard, great  work!

I love the music as well, i know Cesaria Evora's music for a while. She came here last year to perform  during the biggest music festival, unfortunately i was not able to go there... very nice version of this song i have listen to many many times 

by the way i also like portuguese language very much, it a singing language and the sonorities are incredible.

:)
Samuel
Reunion Island

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »

Hi,

Nice plants Steven, and great choice of music.

Samuel,

I also love Cesária Évora but she sings mostly in Portuguese creole,
 which is usually spoken so fast that a regular Portuguese speaker will understand little to nothing.

In the latter half of the song a differente singer joins Cesária and I can't quite tell which language
 is being used. Steve, anyone, do you know that other language/singer? It reminds me of greek but
 not quite.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
You have lots going on. Lots of figs. Bananas providing shade. What is the large green fruit in your hand? Avocado I suppose. I see lots of garden vegetables. Guava. Pineapple. Very large selection!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:38:21 PM by zands »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »
Hi Steven,
thanks for sharing, nice orchard, great  work!
I love the music as well, i know Cesaria Evora's music for a while. She came here last year to perform  during the biggest music festival, unfortunately i was not able to go there... very nice version of this song i have listen to many many times 
by the way i also like portuguese language very much, it a singing language and the sonorities are incredible.
:)
Hi Samuel,
Merci beaucoup :) Happy that you are also a fan of Cesaria 8) WOW what a bummer...most unfortunate indeed :(

Sodade by Cesaria is my favorite. Luiza, Tudo tem se limite, Sabina largam, Cinturão tem mele...and a trillion others  too ;D

That's cool that you very much enjoy the Portuguese language and music 8) When i was younger, i didn't like Fado...now, i very much enjoyed it ;D With the flow of time...taste buds do charge ;D

Hi,
Nice plants Steven, and great choice of music.
Samuel,
I also love Cesária Évora but she sings mostly in Portuguese creole,
 which is usually spoken so fast that a regular Portuguese speaker will understand little to nothing.
In the latter half of the song a differente singer joins Cesária and I can't quite tell which language
 is being used. Steve, anyone, do you know that other language/singer? It reminds me of greek but
 not quite.

Olá Sérgio,
Obrigado/Thanks :)

There's a bunch of Portuguese creolo languges and some you can't even understand...This creole language from São Vicente, you can undestand a few words, but the rest ???

I have no clue what languege the other singer is singing ??? My dad did once say...i sounded like Greek.

You have lots going on. Lots of figs. Bananas providing shade. What is the large green fruit in your hand? Avocado I suppose. I see lots of garden vegetables. Guava. Pineapple. Very large selection!

Howdy Zands,
 Thanks :) I reckon it's the green passion fruit i had in my hands?

I have a few veggies and herbs planted. Sweet potato is running wild as a ground cover to surpress the weeds and to keep the soil moist. Lemon grass, rosemarry, rue, parsley, chillies and cabbage. I will plant a bunch of bananas to provide shade to moisten the air, creating a more humid ambient ;)  8)  Diversification is key, Zands  :) 
Time is like a river.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »
Steven,

Have any the following growing?

Olives, Apples, Peaches, Pineapple Guava, Potatoes, Taro, Horseradish... Can't wait to see future monkey orange plants :), and the Opuntia patch hehe.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »
Steven,

Have any the following growing?

Olives, Apples, Peaches, Pineapple Guava, Potatoes, Taro, Horseradish... Can't wait to see future monkey orange plants :), and the Opuntia patch hehe.

Hi again,
From your list...I have an apple , peaches  and I also grow potatoes. A neighbour has a taro patch (best I have tasted) 8)

Yup ;D Can't wait to post pics of these two, in the most near future ;) 8)
Time is like a river.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »

Howdy Zands,

I have a few veggies and herbs planted. Sweet potato is running wild as a ground cover to surpress the weeds and to keep the soil moist. Lemon grass, rosemarry, rue, parsley, chillies and cabbage. I will plant a bunch of bananas to provide shade to moisten the air, creating a more humid ambient ;)  8)  Diversification is key, Zands  :)

Hi
A friend of mine has boniato running as a ground cover. Is yours boniato or a different one? All are tubers I guess.
So green passion fruit? Nice. Never had one. I just mulched a mango tree with a banana I had to cut down because it was shading another mango tree. Like I said.... I see bananas as very fast growing helper plants. They produce shade, air moisture, fruit and mulch. For your prize bananas I guess cow manure. But bananas do well with cheap fertilizer the kind with no minors and with quick release nitrogen. They can do OK with nothing too!

zzzz

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »

Howdy Zands,

Hi
A friend of mine has boniato running as a ground cover. Is yours boniato or a different one? All are tubers I guess.
So green passion fruit? Nice. Never had one. I just mulched a mango tree with a banana I had to cut down because it was shading another mango tree. Like I said.... I see bananas as very fast growing helper plants. They produce shade, air moisture, fruit and mulch. For your prize bananas I guess cow manure. But bananas do well with cheap fertilizer the kind with no minors and with quick release nitrogen. They can do OK with nothing too!
zzzz

Hi Zands,
That's cool...I don't grow them. That variety is poplular in the Caribbean. My is a large and sweet tuber that takes 8 months to mature, I will harvest them around September.
After harvest, I work the soil and fertilize the soil with manure for planting on the same day...it's rainy season by then, so i must take advantage of that :)

Nope, I meant immature green fruits :) After harvesting the banana...I took the mother plant and chopped it into pieces with a machete...to recycle back the nutrients into the soil again...banana is definitely a good source for mulch and your mango tree is going to love it 8) I basically use well decomposed cow manure, when planting a banana plant...to enrich the soil, then a few weeks later, i give the plant a nice dose of NPK. Some times we will find a complete NPK for only bananas, that is used commercially from the cooperative. They do ok with nothing...takes longer to get them to produce.
Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk