Author Topic: What is the best Mamey Sapote?  (Read 12867 times)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
What is the best Mamey Sapote?
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »
I have a Pantin because my mother likes the small Mameys. I want a really big Mamey though, I was thinking about getting a Cayo Hueso or a Magna. What do you guys recomend?
- David Antonio Garcia

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best Mamey Sapote?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:15:22 PM »
Well, Cayo Hueso is Spanish for Key West and Key West is another name for Pantin. If you want really large, then get a magana. Some people mentioned that magana is not as good as Pantin and other high quality mameys, but I've eaten store bought pantins and maganas and I like both of them. Magana has a tendency to not ripen evenly due to it's large size, so I would wait until the fruit gets a greyish color (it's brown when it's not ripe) and maybe wait a bit longer to make sure the fruit ripens thoroughly. Others recommend doing the scratch test. Viejo mamey is very small, so I guess you could scratch that off your list. Pace is supposedly a very high quality mamey which is known to begin fruiting at an earlier age compared to other mameys (precocity).

http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/fruitscapes/Fruitscapes-videos/mamey/playlist1/mamey_sapote_harvest.shtml
Alexi

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »
Dr. Richard Campbell from Fairchild Garden says that the "Desmonte Amarillo" from Costa Rica will be the "next" top quality mamey for Florida. He raved about it.  Has not yet been released but I am sure someone will get it in the near future! 
FloridaGreenMan

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »
Well, Cayo Hueso is Spanish for Key West and Key West is another name for Pantin. If you want really large, then get a magana. Some people mentioned that magana is not as good as Pantin and other high quality mameys, but I've eaten store bought pantins and maganas and I like both of them. Magana has a tendency to not ripen evenly due to it's large size, so I would wait until the fruit gets a greyish color (it's brown when it's not ripe) and maybe wait a bit longer to make sure the fruit ripens thoroughly. Others recommend doing the scratch test. Viejo mamey is very small, so I guess you could scratch that off your list. Pace is supposedly a very high quality mamey which is known to begin fruiting at an earlier age compared to other mameys (precocity).

http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/fruitscapes/Fruitscapes-videos/mamey/playlist1/mamey_sapote_harvest.shtml

Cayo Hueso and Key West (Pantin) are two different cultivars.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sapote_ars.html

Are Viejos smaller than Pantin?
- David Antonio Garcia

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:16:50 PM »
I would not call Pantins small.  They may not be as big as Magana but their size isn't too shabby.

Despite what Alexi says, Magana is not in the same class as Pantin, Lorito and Pace when it comes to flavor and texture.  There is also something to be said about grocery store bought mameys...no comparison to home grown and properly picked (as with all grocery store fruit when compared to home grown and harvested). 

Viejo is a smaller mango and flavor and texture are inconsistent from the ones I have had.

I personally like Lorito the best but Pantin is excellent also.  Another excellent but lesser known variety is Excalibur.  It is totally different in shape, longer and not as fat with a pointed end, and the flesh is super sweet with the darkest red color of any variety that i have seen.

As Noel said, i am very excited to see the new cultivar(s) mentioned by Richard Campbell.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:58:25 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »
Dr. Richard Campbell from Fairchild Garden says that the "Desmonte Amarillo" from Costa Rica will be the "next" top quality mamey for Florida. He raved about it.  Has not yet been released but I am sure someone will get it in the near future!

good info FL greenman...sounds like an adventure to obtain this variety.

One I'd like to partake in.  :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 12:23:50 AM »

Cayo Hueso and Key West (Pantin) are two different cultivars.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/sapote_ars.html

Are Viejos smaller than Pantin?

Oh okay. Thanks for the correction.
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »
I would not call Pantins small.  They may not be as big as Magana but their size isn't too shabby.

Despite what Alexi says, Magana is not in the same class as Pantin, Lorito and Pace when it comes to flavor and texture.  There is also something to be said about grocery store bought mameys...no comparison to home grown and properly picked (as with all grocery store fruit when compared to home grown and harvested). 

Viejo is a smaller mango and flavor and texture are inconsistent from the ones I have had.

I personally like Lorito the best but Pantin is excellent also.  Another excellent but lesser known variety is Excalibur.  It is totally different in shape, longer and not as fat with a pointed end, and the flesh is super sweet with the darkest red color of any variety that i have seen.

As Noel said, i am very excited to see the new cultivar(s) mentioned by Richard Campbell.

I agree. My opinion shouldn't be relied on heavily since I've only eaten grocery store mameys. I probably ate a good quality magana and an average quality pantin. Also, home grown mameys or any fruits beat grocery store fruits when it comes to quality like Rob mentioned above. I'm really looking forward to eating home grown mameys again. Last time I ate home grown mameys was when I lived in Hialeah back in the 90's from birth to the age of 9. So it's been a LONG time since I've eaten a properly-picked fresh mamey. I think my first tree to give mameys will be my pace.  :)
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:34:17 AM »

I'm really looking forward to seeing more reports and pics of the tree and fruits of that cultivar. I wonder if it will produce high quality fruits like the original tree or trees growing in volcanic soil in Costa Rica.
Alexi

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 01:12:15 AM »
Can anyone comment on the largest mamey they have encountered?  When I lived in Belize, a 7lb fruit was found in the jungle, the tree was climbed and scions cut.  How does that compare size-wise to what is available where you are?

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 06:46:46 AM »
Can anyone comment on the largest mamey they have encountered?  When I lived in Belize, a 7lb fruit was found in the jungle, the tree was climbed and scions cut.  How does that compare size-wise to what is available where you are?

I have seen 10lb Magana mameys here. Seven pounders are common in the cuban grocery stores here 
FloridaGreenMan

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »
The original Pantin was alive and healthy in 2004 (or was that 1990?)  adjacent to the Key West fire station.
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Is this the tree?

Alexi

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 01:46:13 PM »
Is this the tree?

Sure is if that's the fire station. I remember it being on the right side of the station looking from the street
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Here is a pile of big Magana mamey at "Robert is Here" fruitstand in Homestead

FloridaGreenMan

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
Here is a pile of big Magana mamey at "Robert is Here" fruitstand in Homestead

Wow, 3.50 a pound. Is that a normal price? I guess that makes those fruit over $20 each? Not sure I like Mamey's that much.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »
They were $4.00 a pound in publix last year. 
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 06:31:27 AM »
yes, $3.50 - $4.00/lb is about average.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »
You can buy mamey for $2/ pound in the Redland.

My favorite mamey is Pace.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 04:56:43 PM »
You can buy mamey for $2/ pound in the Redland.

My favorite mamey is Pace.

Wow. I guess the price is cheap cause theirs no shipping involved and it comes straight from a nearby grove.
Alexi

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
If you go to the packing house you can get a box of Mameys for $50. I usually get a box split it with a friend and freeze most of it. Usually lasts quite awhile
- David Antonio Garcia

gabodymod

• Zone 10 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »
Hialeah price $2.50 lb.

Guillermo.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:52 PM »

Still waiting on that Desmonte...
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »
Me too :D.

Saw some Magana plants (7gal) in HD for $49.99 :O:O. Keitt mango (7gal) plants were $36.99.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 10:43:54 AM »
Me too :D.

Saw some Magana plants (7gal) in HD for $49.99 :O:O. Keitt mango (7gal) plants were $36.99.

Yeah, HD is selling mamey at a premium over the other fruit  trees.  All the more reason to buy from a local nursery.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk