Author Topic: Update: Orders CLOSED/Follow Up Progress on Sylvia Guava cuttings  (Read 1558 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
chrisafix23, that is good news, thanks for posting your progress. How long has it been potted?

Did you keep it in a dark room/location or just in the kitchen with normal room lights?

I will start to root my cuttings (this weekend) I had that were left over of the batch of cuttings I shipped out to everyone. I plan to date each one so I can see how long it takes for any buds to show or roots to form. Maybe in June, if some of you have not had success at all, I can go back to the tree and get fresh cuttings that I will root following one of the successful methods discussed here and sell it to folks that did not get any success.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 12:54:52 PM by sc4001992 »

chrisafix23

• Roseville, California Zones 9b
    • View Profile
It has been potted 3 weeks. I used the method I use for rooting figs. I shaved a bit of bark at the bottom of the scion then dipped in rooting hormone. I then wrapped the top with buddy tape. I placed on a heating mat until I saw this bud break. I then put it under some grow lights. It seems to have worked for 1 out of 2 rooting attempts. Grafts have been a little slower to push growth. Good luck to everyone. Guava has been hard to graft/root for me in the past.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Update: Orders CLOSED/Follow Up Progress on Sylvia Guava cuttings
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2024, 03:59:04 PM »
Ok, here's a quick update on rooting guava cuttings. I just noticed one of my cuttings from a variegated guava that I just pushed into a pot laying around in my garden had new leaves growing. So, it looks like it will have roots soon, this cutting was in the pot for over a few months so it should continue to grow. I'll post a few photos of this rooted cutting later tonight. I may just need to root most of the Sylvia guava, may be easier than I thought.

Another forum member showed me his success in rooting guava cuttings, he used the same method as rooting mulberry cuttings in a pot with plastic bag cover.

Pat's Barbie Pink, rooted:

My variegated Honeymoon guava rooted:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 01:11:53 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2024, 08:08:26 PM »
I noticed my seeds were starting to grow in the water cup so I decided to plant them in a flat container. Looks like there will be many seedling trees.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 01:18:50 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2024, 07:15:45 PM »
My seed update, planted on 3/30/24. They are starting to grow out.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2024, 12:03:51 PM »
My seed update, planted on 3/30/24. They are starting to grow out.

Your guava seeds sprouted in a week!?!?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2024, 12:26:49 PM »
Yup, but I did have it out of the fruit since the time I send yours and others seeds with the cuttings. I just planted them a week ago.

I had another member (Satya) told me his seeds I sent him also started growing in 3-5 days, something else, isn't it?

The mother tree is large and vigorous, maybe that's why the fruits are so large and abundant. It gets new fruits every time I go to the house.

chrisafix23

• Roseville, California Zones 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2024, 01:34:42 PM »
It seems like my cuttings failed to root. But it does seems as though all but one of the grafts has taken. Does anyone know if guava buds have trouble breaking through buddy tape? I see the buds swelling but not breaking the tape yet.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2024, 05:53:49 PM »
Your grafted guava should break through parafilm. I don't know if it can do that with buddy tape, I never use that stuff.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2024, 07:15:10 AM »
Has anyone else get the seeds to germinate yet, progress?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2024, 10:01:25 AM »
Has anyone else get the seeds to germinate yet, progress?

No sign of life anywhere (seeds, cuttings, grafts)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2024, 11:17:03 AM »
Ok, will check my grafts later, I did my grafts 3 weeks after the last shipment to people who purchased them.

Here's my seed germination status. At least there will be seedlings.

Tropical Sunshine

• Coastal TX, USA zone 9B (down to zone 8A during a freak freeze!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2024, 06:19:42 PM »
I am trying to do vaneer graft on them. Those grafts that I last checked were still green. But who knows how longer they’re going to last. Experience with Red Himalayan and Aussie Green mulberry scions show that even after a month of green wood doesn’t necessarily translate to an automatic take. Grafting can be quite frustrating at time.

By the way, anyone who wants to graft seedless che, try grafting them onto osage orange seedlings. Mine take sooo easily and I still considered myself an amateur at grafting. If I can graft them as an amateur grafter, you probably can succeed as well...
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2024, 07:35:05 PM »
Guava grafts do take a long time, maybe 3-6 months before you see the new buds grow out.

Very slow, but not as bad as grafting Lychee.

Tropical Sunshine

• Coastal TX, USA zone 9B (down to zone 8A during a freak freeze!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2024, 11:51:09 PM »
Then I guess there is still hope. Time to play the waiting game and wish each other the best of luck at grafting it from now until late summer! 😁
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

growinginphoenix

• USA, AZ, 9a/9b, Sunset Zone 13
    • View Profile
    • My notes
Ok, will check my grafts later, I did my grafts 3 weeks after the last shipment to people who purchased them.

Here's my seed germination status. At least there will be seedlings.

How much sun do guava sprouts like this take? I have some that I put out in full sun with 90s F and they don't seem to like it. I just moved them into full shade but not sure if my guess that the sun was too much is right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk