Author Topic: APHIS non-regulatory options?  (Read 2954 times)

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
APHIS non-regulatory options?
« on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »
I got rather long announcement email from APHIS this morning saying they were considering "non-regulatory options." Did anyone else get this email? What do they mean and how might this change things for those of us interested in bringing fruit and seeds home?
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: APHIS non-regulatory options?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:19:18 PM »
Can you scan and upload the letter?  I'd be interested in seeing it.

Edit...

Is this the letter that states the 10 goals of the agency?  Looks like it was originally dated summer 2013. Some pretty lofty goals in there and generally pro-commerce rehetoric.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:28:13 PM by PltdWorld »

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
This is a timely post. I was contacted by a woman too. She insisted that I couldn't import seeds via baggage, even with the small lots seed permit ... Since when? I was so confused by the information she gave, well I politely said okay and hung up. Now my application's pending, but it's for mail not baggage. I'm confused grr

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:34:23 PM »
This is a timely post. I was contacted by a woman too. She insisted that I couldn't import seeds via baggage, even with the small lots seed permit ... Since when? I was so confused by the information she gave, well I politely said okay and hung up. Now my application's pending, but it's for mail not baggage. I'm confused grr

Technically, only way you're supposed to be able to clear seeds in baggage is if there's an APHIS substation in the airport.  There aren't many.  Was the person you spoke with disputing that (have the rules changed)?

That said, many (including this forum member) have cleared customs with no problems even when there was no APHIS station at the airport of arrival.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:58:46 PM »

Technically, only way you're supposed to be able to clear seeds in baggage is if there's an APHIS substation in the airport.  There aren't many.  Was the person you spoke with disputing that (have the rules changed)?

That said, many (including this forum member) have cleared customs with no problems even when there was no APHIS station at the airport of arrival.

Yes we can clear seeds in baggage with small seed lot permit. Yes you have to enter through an airport that has an APHIS office, but most major airports on east and west coasts of USA have APHIS offices, and a vast majority of international flights go through those airports having APHIS offices.
Oscar

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:59:14 PM »
I'd love to know your steps. In the past, before any permit to bring in seeds, I would go to the Philippines, put my seeds in little bags, then on customs, my family would label "seed packets", they would usher us to the inspection area, open our bags, then let them inspect. Most of the time they let them through, though sometimes they would want to "appear working" in my opinion, and confiscate what were clearly farmer's packets, sealed better than a burpee envelope. Packets there are similar to the kind Europeans sell, a coated aluminum package. Like the kind Leroy Merlin sell in Spain. Anyway other than that, they were more concerned about bringing in cured meat, and let most of our seeds through.

This woman was confusing. She insisted the small lots seeds was for mailing for the species I wanted "Nepehelium spp, Lansium spp, and, Garcinia Mangostana". She may have been confused because my permit included importation of plants ... the conversation went on and on, because she insisted my post entry plants would need ppq 546, I told her my intention was to import via baggage, she said I don't want postentry plants then and that my port of entry needed a station, but that I was only allowed 12 admissable plants ... the woman was short tempered by then, and I didn't press the matter told her thanks and hung up.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:39 AM »
I got rather long announcement email from APHIS this morning saying they were considering "non-regulatory options." Did anyone else get this email? What do they mean and how might this change things for those of us interested in bringing fruit and seeds home?

Lindsay, if you read the letter carefully you will see the so called non regulatory options they are considering don't have anything to do with the mailing of seeds. APHIS deals with many products besides seeds. Through the decades i have seen the regulations for seed sending rather become much more burdensome and stringent. So quite the opposite is happening with seed sending to their announced lofty goals.

Relevant excerpt from the letter to which you refer:

We’re currently working through a series of pilot tests to test the efficacy of the systematic process we’ve set up to consider non-regulatory options for emerging issues, as well as to systematically consider how we can more productively or flexibly use our existing regulations. These pilot projects have originated from many sources, both within and outside of APHIS, as we look for common-sense solutions to protect animal and plant health and promote animal welfare.   Some of our pilot projects include:

"Issuing a general permit for imports of EPA-registered microbial biopesticides, effective September 17, 2014. These low-risk organisms are regulated by EPA.
Examining if we can exempt processed citrus peel from import restrictions on citrus products.
Issuing a general permit for Tribal imports of small numbers of ash logs from Canada to be used in basket making."
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 12:12:28 AM »
I got the same note from APHIS.  No idea what it means but I have gotten a couple of notes from them that seemed completely irrelevant -- I think we have just gotten on their "mailing list".

John

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
Didn't mean to hijack this. Pltdworld: I messaged you.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:28:39 AM »
PM returned.  For questions on APHIS permit rules, Oscar/fruitlovers has a wealth of knowledge.  I have documented my failure and success here - DFW took my seeds two years ago (in all fairness, they agreed to ship to the closest APHIS station - but FedEx or APHIS lost them) and Atlanta customs (not APHIS, they were closed when we arrived) cleared them this year.  My general feeling about APHIS/Customs is that they are trying to do the right thing, but there is a lot of red tape and the agents don't always seem to know the rules - it's good to see they're openly discussing change.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »
Thanks so much for explaining Fruitlovers! I found the message very confusing but I haven't been in the scene very long. What do you think about them ready ing restrictions on citrus imports? Is that because there is so much greening virus around they are just giving up?
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand