Author Topic: Thaumatococcus Daniellii ~ pics, sprouts, seed sources, care and germ ~ HELP!  (Read 1519 times)

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
  Hey Guys;   ( Texas, zone 9a, Bayou/Pine,Oak,Sweetgum forest, acidic clays - Hot ~ we have periods of drought, and occasionally cold winter spells )

Ive recently tried to locate Katemfe/Thaumatcoccus Daniellii.  Trade Winds Fruits, and Oscars Fruitlovers offer fresh seed. Oscar has sold out. but TradeWF has sent me a few
  but i havent had much luck getting TradeWinds seed to germinate. (pic below of a possible sprout, or a stray grass seed)

Does anyone know of another location that sells Katemfe, or other flavor enhancers. Curculigo Latifolia, and similars? (i already have Miracleberry D.Synsapalum)

A resource for temperature specifications, pH, tolerances.. things to avoid.. container growing, propagation would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics of sprout in a T.Daniellii pot (it could be a grass, some stray seed, but i can find pics of Katemfe sprouts.)

Thanks Guys..
   bartacomus

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
At this point, I don't recall what katemfe looks like when it sprouts, that might be it.  Be aware that these can take a VERY long time to germinate.  See thread:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18001.0;nowap

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
At this point, I don't recall what katemfe looks like when it sprouts, that might be it.  Be aware that these can take a VERY long time to germinate.  See thread:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18001.0;nowap

Thanks HIfarm!  Thats impressive. Whatever convinced you to keep a seed in moss for 2 years?! lol
Much appreciated man.  Oscar has sold out. You dont happen to have any fruit from your Katemfe do you? I might try Latifolia too.  im Texas 9a, so it might be fruitless (pardon the pun) to begin with :(

It much appreciated.. just knowing what to expect make a whole hell of alot of difference.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Still have fresh Curculigo latifolia seeds, aka Lemba.
Oscar

Bartacomus

• View Profile

Still have fresh Curculigo latifolia seeds, aka Lemba.

Excellent!  Just sent an order.  For C.Latifolia and Yoco too.  Supposedly we have weather into the 50's next week  :-\  i dont know if that would affect travel

Im having a hard time finding growing instruction for Lemba, any resources would be appreciated.

You have an awesome selection, i could go broke!  Id like to make a request for Picralima Nitifola ~ Akuamma 
 So many fruit id like to get. Black Berry Jam, Peanut Butter, Cocoplum, Annonia's, Garcinias, Sweet Tango Tamarillos.  Awesome Website Oscar. Will make recommendations.

Patiently waiting for Thaumatococcus daniellii too.

Thanks man.

Bartacomus

• View Profile
This is the Mystery Sprout.  The first "leaf" is short and blunt tipped. The Blunt Tip is odd, and unlike a grass. The second growth came up and is long and thin like a grass.
The stem seems to have a red color.  The sprout is close to where the jelly like seed was planted. So im unwilling to weed the pot. 

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
If it was a jelly-like seed, it was probably not katemfe unless it was not properly cleaned off and the jelly-like substance was remainder of fruit.  My recollection is that the seeds are quite large for a ginger type plant -- about the size of a navy bean -- and have a hard coat on them.

As far as keeping seeds for 2 years, they don't take up much space.  If they do not mold over or rot, I often just leave them to see if they will eventually sprout.  Sometimes they do.  If you have the book on fruits from the Congo by Roy Danforth & Paul Noren, they talked about one fruit that they were unable to germinate.  I have learned from Paul that they were wrong, it just took 8 years to germinate.

Bartacomus

• View Profile
  the squirrels got the first one. thats the second one.. before i got a chance to plant it one of my cousins kids was squishing on it. i had assumed he'd cracked the seed and there was a gelatinous pulp. It honestly felt like a gummy.  I just put a third seed in. it was hard as a rock, with a soft gummy annulus. I was going to try and score it but was afraid to. Maybe i still should. 

khachaturian

• MX, CHIS, Tropical
    • View Profile
I got Thaumatococcus daniellii seeds from Cameroon (fermamo2002). I was expecting them to need at least a few months to germinate, but the fastest so far popped up after only 9 days.
I cleaned the seeds with dilute bleach (30 min soak) and then soaked them in water for 3 days. Seeds were then placed in peat moss. The picture below is from a batch of 15 seeds sown on Jan 5 and photo was taken on Jan 14.

The first batch, however, was sown on Jan 1. I wasn't following the germination closely, and on Jan 12 I noticed several seeds had sprouted. On Jan 14, 7/10 had sprouted. I also transplanted one germinated seed to a bigger container. Some snapshots:

I live in the lowland tropics. We're currently in the dry season (winter). I use plastic containers for germination and place them in a rack at the N side of the house. I added a screenshot of the weather we've had lately: 20-22ºC min, 33-34ºC max.

I prefer to resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one (easier to find information with the search engine afterwards).

BloomAndSprout

• View Profile
I've found these to be fast at germinating, too, and pretty reliable. I've had spider mites attack my plants but once they are healthier I can provide pics for anyone searching through the forum...