Author Topic: is it possible to recognize Poncirus trifoliata flower buds in the fall?  (Read 790 times)

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
Can one see a visible difference between the dormant PT flower buds and leaf buds in the fall? 
Thanks!

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: is it possible to recognize Poncirus trifoliata flower buds in the fall?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 06:10:07 PM »
Yes, they are distinctly more plump. These buds develop into the following April/May flowers. The June bloom, however, originates from newly developed flower buds blooming almost a year prematurely.  Unfortunately,during Winter, birds will feed on these buds when more desirable food is unavailable.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 05:37:44 AM by kumin »

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: is it possible to recognize Poncirus trifoliata flower buds in the fall?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
Not much to add to kumin's description.

I have, however, had fully developed Poncirus flowers in spring from buds that I did not recognize the autumn before although I really searched for flower buds. It seems to me that some Poncirus varieties produce more easily recognizable flower buds than others. I have one tree with obvious flower buds in autumn that also produce spring flowers from so to say hidden buds flowering a little bit later than the obvious ones but still around the same time.

The variety which comes up with such surprises is a small tree that I bought as a young seedling under the name of "Carrizo" Citrange. Despite its labbeling it looks and tastes exactly like normal Poncirus, is fully deciduous and flowers are not flagrant. If it is indeed a Carrizzo seedling - what is hard to believe - it would be a wrong example for Poncirus flower bud development.

I shall have a closer look at my other trees the next spring.