Author Topic: Avocado tree named 'carla'  (Read 7010 times)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Avocado tree named 'carla'
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:44:22 PM »
‘Carla’ has pick dates from February through early June.

Just Bought afew Avocados in a Latin Market called Unidos in Kissimmee Florida.
I go there to buy Good tasting produce that cant be found in NE Florida.

These Avocados taste awesome !...they kinda look like Simmonds but smaller.

Heres some info:
http://www.google.com/patents/US20060010540
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tree named 'carla'
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:53:28 AM »
Great find Edzone9. This 'Carla' avocado is from the Dominican Republic. The article remarkably mentions that the fruit will ripen from February to June, and that this is the only avocado there that does this. I don't know of any quality avocado here in Florida that produces ripe fruit during those months. The only way to find out how this avocado variety will behave here in South Florida, is to field test it here, like Carlos (CTMiami) usually does.

If bringing the 'Carla' avocado to South Florida is not possible, perhaps planting several seeds and field testing them is the next best thing.
It would be great if 'Carla' avocado trees could be growing/found/available in the USA. If not, every attempt/effort should be made to bring the 'Carla' avocado tree to South Florida and field tested.

Again, great, very excitng find, thank you for the nice surprise Ed.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »
Thanks Leo ;

I have started the Germination process of these Carla seeds.
I will monitor them as they grow, and keep them in the Green house in the winter.
But to fully observe this tree, it would have to be planted in south FL where the danger of frost is minimum.

As for the taste, its very good! much better taste than the Publix Slim Cado which has no taste ate all.
I travel 2 Hours to Kissimmee FL To a dominican Grocery store to buy this Avocado.

I will post some pix today of the fruit & seeds, i will eat the last one today..

Ed.
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:11:38 AM »
Ed, it's great news that you are propagating some 'Carla' avocado seeds, thanks for doing so. I hope they propagate true to seed. And, who knows, they may even be able to take the winter cold and thrive at your location. With some luck, you may even end up with a new 'Ed' avocado quality variety that fills the S. Florida winter avocado void.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
I will call my family members in PR to see if they can source me a Grafted Carla tree from the DR.
Grafted trees in PR are ultra cheap in cost, about $8...

Ill keep the forum posted..

Ed..
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
Ed, perhaps a grafted 'Carla' from PR is also economically priced, as in DR. But, to the point, if you can bring a grafted 'Carla' avocado to Florida, that could be a very valuable avocado in the state. From the description of the article that you found, there seems to be something very unique/valuable about the genetics of the 'Carla' avocado, which make its fruit ripen during the winter months in DR. I sure hope that you're able to do this, so that the 'Carla' could be 'field tested' in S. Florida, and then we'll be able to know once and for all its behaviour here. I think this idea of yours, is one that is very much worth pursuing.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »
Im going to see if i can Obtain 2 or 3 Grafted trees and send some to SF members to see how they adapt to SF.
I will get in Contact with my Family members in PR, to ask for the Carla in Local Nursery's.

Ed.
Zone 10

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:22:11 AM »
Ed,

If you are able to obtain some Carla avocado’s from PR, would you consider letting us try to grow one here in central Brevard in the grove on Merritt Island. Would be a good experiment to see how it would grow up here also compared to SW Florida. How far north are you from us? I saw before where you pick up tree’s from a friend of mine John at Tropical island nursery. Would be glad to reimburse you for any cost and shipping. Good luck on finding the tree’s. Hope you have some luck.

Joe.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
Hello Joe;

I love johns R's Place ! i bought a few trees from John and all are doing great !.
Please send my regards to John R !..

Im live in St Augustine FL , about 2-3 Hours from JR's Place.

Joe where you the one selling Mangos from his place ? if so i remember you..
If my family can Source The Grafted Carla Trees then i will ask them to send me at least 5 trees 1st, they would have to be shipped Bare Root.

My family members in PR last year sent me Bare root Guanabana trees & they did Fine.
If they can locate the trees then i will send you one & better yet ill take a trip to Johns Place ;)..
I love going there !.

Ed..

P.s the Grafted trees in PR range from 8-12$ .. no worries about the payment.
I will save this thread..
Zone 10

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »
Hello Joe;

I love johns R's Place ! i bought a few trees from John and all are doing great !.
Please send my regards to John R !..

Im live in St Augustine FL , about 2-3 Hours from JR's Place.

Joe where you the one selling Mangos from his place ? if so i remember you..
If my family can Source The Grafted Carla Trees then i will ask them to send me at least 5 trees 1st, they would have to be shipped Bare Root.

My family members in PR last year sent me Bare root Guanabana trees & they did Fine.
If they can locate the trees then i will send you one & better yet ill take a trip to Johns Place ;)..
I love going there !.

Ed..

P.s the Grafted trees in PR range from 8-12$ .. no worries about the payment.
I will save this thread..

No that was not me at John's nursery selling mango's. Here is my cell # 321-749-8195 if you should ever come down to John's place maybe to could travel 21 miles further south and check out the grove on south Merritt island. If you come down after July 4 we should be getting into our mango season here. That's when the early varities start to ripen.

Hope luck on your search, talk to you soon.

Joe.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »
Thanks Joe ! .. Cant wait to Mango Season !.
I am so tired of eating Bland Mangos From Publix !

Ed..
Zone 10

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
Apologies for the bump, but it looks like this tree is involved in a legal battle between the two companies that two Brothers started long ago.

Did anyone here manage to acquire any trees since this topic was started?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemlee/carla-avocado-lawsuit-patent
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 11:42:29 PM »
Not so sure you would get fruit here in Florida into June. That would be nice.