Author Topic: Red lime first taste  (Read 2523 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Red lime first taste
« on: July 22, 2018, 08:11:31 AM »
I now have three red lime trees, two are rather small at less than two feet each, one is still in a pot, over five feet tall and producing many fruit.

Some are dropping prematurely, currently they have a bit more than a hint of yellow / orange color skin  and the inside is pale / light orange colored. I expect the worst and accept the best when it comes to fruit I have not tried before and I was surprised that such juvenile undeveloped fruits had such a nicely distinctive flavor.

Definitely more on the (less than sweet) orange flavored side with a hint of limey bitterness. The more green than orange skin was inedible... so far. Overall if the flavor develops as I hope it will I see a great many uses for these fruits in the future. I plan on giving one of my little trees to a friend who is just starting to plant out a nice large lot.

Regards,

Gary

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Red lime first taste
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 12:50:45 PM »
I noticed my red limes get significantly sweeter the longer they sit on the tree.  The best ones I've had are ones I didn't notice were there at first and picked a month later than the rest.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »
  I've only had one red lime, that I picked up at one of the expos. Well i kinda had one. I cut it up in the kitchen and brought to my wife to taste while I went back to the kitchen to clean up the cutting board and knife. When I got back to the living room, my wife was looking up with juice dripping from her chin and an ' Oliver Twist' expression on her face.. "Please sir, may I have more". So I didn't actually get to taste it, but I will take her word for it, that it was good. I do have a small seedling tree growing, so maybe one of these days, I'll get to try one. ;D

TFN

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
  I've only had one red lime, that I picked up at one of the expos. Well i kinda had one. I cut it up in the kitchen and brought to my wife to taste while I went back to the kitchen to clean up the cutting board and knife. When I got back to the living room, my wife was looking up with juice dripping from her chin and an ' Oliver Twist' expression on her face.. "Please sir, may I have more". So I didn't actually get to taste it, but I will take her word for it, that it was good. I do have a small seedling tree growing, so maybe one of these days, I'll get to try one. ;D

TFN

Not sure it will come true to seed.
- Rob

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 11:29:12 PM »
have your red lime trees continued to produce well? I need some citrus in my yard but potted calamondins seem to be the only thing to produce.
Mic

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »
Mine has been consistently unhealthy since I got it, for no obvious reason.  I dont think my one container red lime is enough sample size to be meaningful though

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 04:24:09 PM »
My tree is growing very well.  2 years ago I got a lot of fruit, last year I got none, I don't think it even flowered, this year it flowered and fruit has set but do not know how many will hold.  It is a good fruit.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »
Sounds like the Red Lime tree might be an alternate bearing variety.

horseshoe_bayou

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 09:12:20 PM »
I need to find a citrus that will produce for me in south Florida, zone 10b. I try getting those cheap 1 gallon pots they sell at lowes but nothing has worked. except for calamondin.
Mic

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »
I don't know much about growing in Florida.  Is 10b on the cold side?  Or the warm side?

horseshoe_bayou

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »
on the warm side, near the east coast of Palm beach county in west palm beach, Fl.
Mic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk