Author Topic: Red Hybrid Jaboticaba size?  (Read 1732 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Red Hybrid Jaboticaba size?
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »
Just wondering how big the red Hybrid Fruit gets? I have a seedling from Oscars seeds that is producing now on a small tree and s couple of the fruit are over an inch wide. The biggest one is over 1 1/4 inches wide. Not all the fruit are this big but I assume I’ll get more and potentially larger Fruit as the tree matures. How big is your fruit?

The taste is amazing. It has a Brix of 23-24% and has excellent sugar acid balance. Here are some pictures of the fruit.

Simon

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Red Hybrid Jaboticaba size?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 01:56:48 AM »

Mine are about an inch in diameter but it's only the second year of Fruiting and growing in a pot so
 should get bigger over time

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 12:27:37 PM »
With all the great characteristics of the red Hybrid, it should be at the top of people’s list for must grow Jaboticaba varieties. Early fruiting, excellent taste, multiple harvest, thin skin, high Brix and now I find out they get to a good large size!

Simon

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
That’s a good looking fruit!  How long from seed, Simon?  Do you have it in ground or in a pot?  Are you treating it with anything to get it to fruit?

(My biggest Jabo is now over 6’ tall and has put out 4 flowers total, only one set, and something got to it before it was ripe - just keeps growing taller, doesn’t want to go to flower)

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »
They will also grow after being dug out of the ground or cro barred out in this case and will
grow readily from root cuttings

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »
That’s a good looking fruit!  How long from seed, Simon?  Do you have it in ground or in a pot?  Are you treating it with anything to get it to fruit?

(My biggest Jabo is now over 6’ tall and has put out 4 flowers total, only one set, and something got to it before it was ripe - just keeps growing taller, doesn’t want to go to flower)

I believe the tree was 4-5 years old when it produced its first Fruit.  It started producing when it was about 2-3 feet tall and has produced more and more fruit with each successive year. Because it started producing at a young age, the tree stays pretty small.

It is grown in a pot and I didn’t do anything special to get it to produce fruit. Just regular watering and occasional fertilization. Increased watering will probably stimulate it to flower more in our dry weather.

I do fertilize it with 3-12-12, kelp emulsion and gypsum to try to get the Fruit to grow larger and sweeter.

Simon

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
My looks like yours, some big but most are smaller, today the tree is putting more bloom that will ripen in the greenroom for the winter.
This is the 4 times this year to go into fruiting.