Author Topic: The Super pollinator B Avocado Miramar Monte de Oro  (Read 2516 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
The Super pollinator B Avocado Miramar Monte de Oro
« on: April 15, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
I found this tree in the Chapman Field USDA collection. I was looking for a B flower that would open around November-December in So. Florida.  This does it with the added bonus that this tree starts flowering in November and does not stop until the summer. Keeps getting waves of flowers during those 7-8 months and holds fruit different sizes.
 As you can see in the picture taken today it has a large fruit and also flowers at the same time. This will pollinate all A flower trees during the flowering season in So. Florida.
Is 100 % Mexican so should be cold hardy. The fruit is small, big seed, turns black in the tree. Taste reminds me of Mexicola  which I don't like, specially because the many other choices we have.
But if you have a lot of A flower trees that flower at different times and have the room, this is it.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:17:40 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: The Super pollinator B Avocado Miramar Monte de Oro
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »
Nice.
Har

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
Looks great, where could I get a tree are scions? I am in Texas and think this would make a great addition to my other Avocado trees.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 11:21:43 PM »
I think the USDA in Chapman Field would. I got the bud wood from them. Not sure if they ship.
https://www.ars.usda.gov/southeast-area/miami-fl/subtropical-horticulture-research/
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »
Thank you, I will check with them. :)

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »
So having a B flower avocado will make A flower avocados set more fruit?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:30:26 AM »
Can't speak for Florida or California but here in Texas we don't need separate A & B types kingoceanos for good production.  This photo shows one female flower (stamens bent outward and anthers not dehisced) and 4 male flowers (with stigma no longer receptive, but stamens upright and anthers dehisced) in a daily sexual transition on one Ardith flowering spike, a commercial variety grown in Israel. Photo was taken around 2:00 p.m.

My Reed is usually the last to bloom and is self pollinating for example. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:33:12 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
To a homeowners may not be noticeable but in a commercial operation you can clearly see the difference when you match the right pollinator. Most avocados are self pollinating but you can increase production and more important early fruit set with the right pollinator.
I have been working with pollinator now for a long time and when you match the right combination your production and early set increases. Taking a fruit to market a week or two before most other growers can mean a lot of $$$$$.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
To a homeowners may not be noticeable but in a commercial operation you can clearly see the difference when you match the right pollinator. Most avocados are self pollinating but you can increase production and more important early fruit set with the right pollinator.
I have been working with pollinator now for a long time and when you match the right combination your production and early set increases. Taking a fruit to market a week or two before most other growers can mean a lot of $$$$$.

This should be bookmarked.  I have tried to explain this numerous times and it seems people just dont want to believe or understand.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »
Can't speak for Florida or California but here in Texas we don't need separate A & B types kingoceanos for good production.  This photo shows one female flower (stamens bent outward and anthers not dehisced) and 4 male flowers (with stigma no longer receptive, but stamens upright and anthers dehisced) in a daily sexual transition on one Ardith flowering spike, a commercial variety grown in Israel. Photo was taken around 2:00 p.m.

My Reed is usually the last to bloom and is self pollinating for example. 

Thanks Mark for the informative explanation. Ardith is from the avocado breeding program in the south coast research center in Irvine CA. The Israelis stole it and named it Ardith.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
I have been working with pollinator now for a long time and when you match the right combination your production and early set increases.

No question about it, for you commercial growers a pollinator will increase fruit production.  Production of Hass improves with proximity to Fuerte, a B flower type, for example.  Same with pecans and other trees.  I have a Pawnee and Nacono pecan.  The pollen shed and reception periods between the two are a perfect match.

I just get tired of reading the redundant question in fruit growing forums - "do I need an A and B type to grow avocados?"   Like I said, in Texas, maybe due to the climate swings here, we have a broad crossover period during the day tree where you have both male and female flowers on the same tree.

Taking a fruit to market a week or two before most other growers can mean a lot of $$$$$.

Yep. Local commercial peach growers play that game.  I live in a huge tourist area and the tourists will pay a buck or more for a peach, especially the early ones.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:25:46 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
Thanks Mark for the informative explanation. Ardith is from the avocado breeding program in the south coast research center in Irvine CA. The Israelis stole it and named it Ardith.

I knew the history on it but did not know the Israelis stole it?  I thought Dr. Mary Lu's group were super tight when it came to patents and securing royalty payments?  Few years ago I couldn't touch GEM because it was under patent.  Had to jump thru royalty hoops yada yada.  I gave up.

Texas wood is stolen too on the Tex Mex varieties and renamed.  Bill Schneider, the "avocado man" of Devine, TX had a few stolen, renamed and are now sold under a different name.  Don Gilloughy of the "dwarf" avocado fame warned me of this tawdry practice, not that I was so inclined to get into that biz.....just saying.

BTW, that Don Gilloughy avocado was damned good.  Here's a young tree holding fruit before I left Corpus Christi.  August 2004.  Looked and tasted like a rich Fuerte.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:30:39 AM by Mark in Texas »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk