Author Topic: Florida Hass. Who has an adult tree?  (Read 12463 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Florida Hass. Who has an adult tree?
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
Is there anyone out there that has a Florida Hass tree more than 5-6 years old in production? I would like for you to share with the rest of us some details:
  • The quantity of production
    Quality of the fruit
    How long does it take from flower to fruit
    The period the fruit can be harvested in your area
    Does taste like a Hass.
    One more, does anyone knows where the original tree is in Ft Myers?
If you can post some pictures it would be nice.  Seems a mystery tree to me, it is being sold, people talk about it, but who has a tree in production?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:53:47 AM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Hass. Who has an adult tree?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »
I've had the fruit (purchased from Zill's). It was as good or better than the CA hass. I absolutely loved it. I know I'm heavily biased towards the hass, but I'd say it's the best FL grown avocado I've ever had.

My neighbors have a tree that's about 3 or 4 years old. It's very slow growing (barely 4 or 5 feet tall). It produced gobs of flowers for the first time this year and had a lot of little bb sized fruits. I'll check back and see how they are developing.

There is a mexicola tree at the broward rare fruit and vegetable council that was mislabeled as a FL hass. I didn't have much luck convincing folks over there that it was not a fl hass though...

Is there anyone out there that has a Florida Hass tree more than 5-6 years old in production? I would like for you to share with the rest of us some details:
  • The quantity of production
    Quality of the fruit
    How long does it take from flower to fruit
    The period the fruit can be harvested in your area
    Does taste like a Hass. 
If you can post some pictures it would be nice.  Seems a mystery tree to me, it is being sold, people talk about it, but who has a tree in production?
Jeff  :-)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:05:28 AM »
@Jeff, By the way, the Fla Haas I got from you seems to have survived my shipping technique, this time i didn't remove all the leaves, as i did with the LZ mango in December.

How long you think it would take for a Fla Haas, to start producing fruit ?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:59:16 AM »
While its all subjective, from what I have had, Florida Hass is just average in my opinion.  Lula and Wirtz are far better.  I would even go with a Day or Wilson Seedless.
- Rob

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »
I haven't tried dozens of avocado varieties, but Lula is one that I found to be much sweeter than Hass. My wife actually refused to eat it because of the sweetness, and she loves Hass. I think if you're a true Hass lover, it's pretty hard to get used to most of the other varieties, even the ones that have high fat content. Just my opinion. I've probably tried only 6-7 different varieties.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
Amen. You hit the nail on the head. I can tolerate the Lula, but the sweetness it hard to get used to. For the guys who have grown up eating florida-cadoes, it's probably imperceptible. The hass has a unique flavor that's hard to describe. The oil content is just one aspect of the flavor. If you're a 'true hass eater', the FL hass is as close as it gets. The major difference is the skin color, which is green rather than black at ripening.

I haven't tried dozens of avocado varieties, but Lula is one that I found to be much sweeter than Hass. My wife actually refused to eat it because of the sweetness, and she loves Hass. I think if you're a true Hass lover, it's pretty hard to get used to most of the other varieties, even the ones that have high fat content. Just my opinion. I've probably tried only 6-7 different varieties.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
In my experience, they are very slow growers, so you may be looking at another couple of years.

@Jeff, By the way, the Fla Haas I got from you seems to have survived my shipping technique, this time i didn't remove all the leaves, as i did with the LZ mango in December.

How long you think it would take for a Fla Haas, to start producing fruit ?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
This may sound blasphemous to some here, but i do not even like avocados that much, I got the tree for my wife. and wanted to get her one that would be good for making guacamole, Hass being the traditional variety for that because of its high oil content.   also I hope some day to grow things commercially, and maybe the Fla Haas will be a good introduction down here.   I was thinking of getting an Oro Negro, on my next trip, this way I will have another one to compare. picture i have seen of the fruit look very attractive, and heard it is a hybrid with another Mexican type.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
This may sound blasphemous to some here, but i do not even like avocados that much, I got the tree for my wife. and wanted to get her one that would be good for making guacamole, Hass being the traditional variety for that because of its high oil content.   also I hope some day to grow things commercially, and maybe the Fla Haas will be a good introduction down here.   I was thinking of getting an Oro Negro, on my next trip, this way I will have another one to compare. picture i have seen of the fruit look very attractive, and heard it is a hybrid with another Mexican type.
For your info. They are growing Hass is higher altitudes in DR commercially.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
:-) I think the idea that hass makes better guacamole is mostly marketing hype to get processed food junkies to purchase more avocados. Even though I'm a die-hard hass eater, my wife can make a mean guacamole with just about any avocado, even the giant florida watercados. But, if you're like me and you like to down avocados like mangoes, there's no substitute for the wonderful and rich hass.

As a side note, Sams Club is selling california-grown hass (straight from the calavo packing house in my home town of Santa Paula!). Personally, I find the california-grown has to be much better than the ones coming from mexico/chile.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
Amen. You hit the nail on the head. I can tolerate the Lula, but the sweetness it hard to get used to. For the guys who have grown up eating florida-cadoes, it's probably imperceptible. The hass has a unique flavor that's hard to describe. The oil content is just one aspect of the flavor. If you're a 'true hass eater', the FL hass is as close as it gets. The major difference is the skin color, which is green rather than black at ripening.

I agree,  the oil is just an aspect of avocado flavor. I have a Pollock tree, very low oil content, low production, ugly looking tree. One of the first commercially grafted cultivar in So. Florida back to 1901. But I love the fruit, it is the tastiest summer fruit I can get my hands on. My Dupuis trees are also typical Florida but for early fruit is plain tasty. Tasty does no equal high oil. It is unfortunate that these varieties do not get to the general public.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
Have you tried Markus Pumpkin? Very productive tree, beautiful smooth avocados, nice coloration, very large avocados up to 48 oz.
No I have not I have been meaning to but have not come across one. How is the taste?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »
Still no one with a mature producing tree of FL Hass. Do they exist?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »
I have tasted Marcus Pumpkin.  Better than Choquette, along the lines or maybe just below of a Monroe, quality-wise.  Creamy, medium fat content (not watery), very good flavor.  Catalina and Russell are also very good varieties here in SFla.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 05:24:18 AM »
In my opinion Hass is like most fruit cultivars picked by mainstream commericial produce industry, mediocre at best. I ate them for many years in California, and always preferred the older California cultivars like Reed, Pinkerton, Bacon, and Fuerte. I don't know how the California Avocado Association has done it, oh yes many million$ in adversting, and they've convinced the public that Hass is the only and greatest avocado the world has ever seen.  When compared to avocados over here the Hass also does not fare very well. In a taste test by chefs and also by the public the Hass was rated far below other Hawaiian cultivars:
#1 went to Kahaluu
#2 was Malama
#3 was Linda
#4 was Sharwill
#5 went to Hass
You can read more specific details here:
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/EI-15.pdf
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
Pinkerton is delicious. Fuerte is pretty decent but the thin skin is annoying (even though it is edible). I like the hass better than both though :-). Even though the hass has a high oil content, it also has plenty of water, which makes them easier to eat than, say, the fuerte. It also has a subtle aroma that's really appealing. It's funny to see so many differing opinions on the avocados. But, for guac, they are all equally delicious (when my wife makes it at least!).

I've never tried the Hawaiian cados. I'd be curious to see how a 'hass lover' ranks them.

In my opinion Hass is like most fruit cultivars picked by mainstream commericial produce industry, mediocre at best. I ate them for many years in California, and always preferred the older California cultivars like Reed, Pinkerton, Bacon, and Fuerte. I don't know how the California Avocado Association has done it, oh yes many million$ in adversting, and they've convinced the public that Hass is the only and greatest avocado the world has ever seen.  When compared to avocados over here the Hass also does not fare very well. In a taste test by chefs and also by the public the Hass was rated far below other Hawaiian cultivars:
#1 went to Kahaluu
#2 was Malama
#3 was Linda
#4 was Sharwill
#5 went to Hass
You can read more specific details here:
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/EI-15.pdf

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »
hmm, apparently the PIN viewer has the pinkerton rated as a 3 star cado. What be up with that. Them boys are delicious.

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/avocado-viewer/pages/Pinkerton.htm

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »
Pinkerton is delicious. Fuerte is pretty decent but the thin skin is annoying (even though it is edible). I like the hass better than both though :-). Even though the hass has a high oil content, it also has plenty of water, which makes them easier to eat than, say, the fuerte. It also has a subtle aroma that's really appealing. It's funny to see so many differing opinions on the avocados. But, for guac, they are all equally delicious (when my wife makes it at least!).

I disagree here...you want a strong/full flavored, high oil content 'cado to make guac.  The bland watery types just turn out flavorless green mush instead of yummy guac...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »
hmm, apparently the PIN viewer has the pinkerton rated as a 3 star cado. What be up with that. Them boys are delicious.

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/avocado-viewer/pages/Pinkerton.htm
Thats what you get for reading their viewer  ;) ;D It is PIN after all...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
hehe I'm probably biased towards my wife's cooking :-).

I disagree here...you want a strong/full flavored, high oil content 'cado to make guac.  The bland watery types just turn out flavorless green mush instead of yummy guac...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »

So do we have to start placing order at Elsie's Kitchen now?  ;)
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »
I hate to get off topic, but how does Brogdon taste, compared to supermarket Hass avocadoes?

I liked the Hass much more than the "slim-cado". Seems to have more flavor to it and have a more buttery texture.
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »

I've never tried the Hawaiian cados. I'd be curious to see how a 'hass lover' ranks them.

All i can tell you is that when i go on trips to California i find the Hass there pretty pathetic. What's even more pathetic is that the Hass are sold in supermarkets here also!
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »

All i can tell you is that when i go on trips to California i find the Hass there pretty pathetic. What's even more pathetic is that the Hass are sold in supermarkets here also!

I have a Reed and a Hass both in the ground in SoCal. Hass is still king when it comes to guacamole, it has a very high oil content and a stronger nutty flavor. The Hass from the yard consistently beat out the store Hass. I make sure they receive only organic fertilizer and no spraying.

Reed is a wonderful tree and out produces the Hass on average. It seems to hold fruit most of the year, which is a big plus. The Reed has excellent oil content, the flavor is on the milder side (a creamy, neutral, slight sweet flavor). Reed seems to be optimal for avocado shakes and uses with added honey or sugar.

What I like doing is making guacamole using 1 Hass with 2 Reed avocados. This makes an excellent base guacamole that is slightly nutty, creamy, and smooth.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
hehe I"m spoiled :-) Nothing beats home cooking !

So do we have to start placing order at Elsie's Kitchen now?  ;)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »

I chuckle when I see Guacamole as the main reason to eat Avocados. In the Caribbean, we did not know what Guacamole was until we came to the states and went to someones  "Super Bowl" Party.  When I first tried it I thought it was a technique to use spoiled avocados! To me the only way to eat one is to get a nice 2 lb Coquette, Lula or Miguel, slice it in "rajas" or slices and eat with rice and chicken or chunk it into a "asopao" or stew. Guacamole to most West Indian islanders is kinda weird. Something you eat at an American party.  We use them to make an avocado sandwich with fresh baked island sweet bread or too accompany fried plantains or breadfruit. Nothing better!  If you only make guacamole with them, you are missing the boat!  With respect to Hass lovers....long live the big Caribbean avocados!   
FGM 

FloridaGreenMan

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
I'm growing a couple California avocados including Fuerte and Bacon. Will be curious to see how they taste grown in our soil here. The Bacon trees have some fruit on them.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 01:04:07 AM »

I chuckle when I see Guacamole as the main reason to eat Avocados. In the Caribbean, we did not know what Guacamole was until we came to the states and went to someones  "Super Bowl" Party.  When I first tried it I thought it was a technique to use spoiled avocados! To me the only way to eat one is to get a nice 2 lb Coquette, Lula or Miguel, slice it in "rajas" or slices and eat with rice and chicken or chunk it into a "asopao" or stew. Guacamole to most West Indian islanders is kinda weird. Something you eat at an American party.  We use them to make an avocado sandwich with fresh baked island sweet bread or too accompany fried plantains or breadfruit. Nothing better!  If you only make guacamole with them, you are missing the boat!  With respect to Hass lovers....long live the big Caribbean avocados!   
FGM 

I basically cut them into cubes or slices and add a sprinkle of salt.  :)
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 02:25:45 AM »
Avocado is a very versatile food...so many food dishes you can make with them. Americans mostly eat them as a vegetable, in salad, or as a dip in guacamole, but latin americans like to eat them as dessert, in smoothies, milk shakes, or even candied. Asians and Polynesians mostly like to feed them to their pigs. They still haven't figured out it's a great human food too.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 06:31:05 AM »
Avocado is a very versatile food...so many food dishes you can make with them. Americans mostly eat them as a vegetable, in salad, or as a dip in guacamole, but latin americans like to eat them as dessert, in smoothies, milk shakes, or even candied. Asians and Polynesians mostly like to feed them to their pigs. They still haven't figured out it's a great human food too.
I had an Asian friend who owned a small restaurant here (the food was great but he sold it and moved) and he used to make my wife and I bubble shakes.  One of the best ones he made us was a sweet avocado...now that Asian knew what to do with it. :)
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »
And to clear the record, for me at least, while I always make a batch or two of guac, I mainly eat 'cados sliced, with a sprinkling of salt and some fresh squeezed Red Lime juice over them...
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
I'm growing a couple California avocados including Fuerte and Bacon. Will be curious to see how they taste grown in our soil here. The Bacon trees have some fruit on them.
I also have a Bacon tree in Homestead and is growing well. It set a lot of fruit they are about 2oz now. I took off a few since the tree is small.  Did your Fuerte set any fruit? Keep us posted on the Fuerte
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »
Guacamole came to the U.S. from Mexico. Somewhere along the line it became associated with super bowls :-). Unfortunately, good authentic Mexican cooking is really hard to come by here in South Florida where the dominant cultural influence comes from the Caribbean and South American. Even the places that claim to have Mexican food here are really peddling second rate imitations. Back in So Cal, we had hundreds of the most incredible Mexican restaurants, taquerias, and panadarias where you would your meal would come with a side of guac.

FGM 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »
I slice them in half, yank the seed and scoop out the insides with a spoon.

I basically cut them into cubes or slices and add a sprinkle of salt.  :)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
Guacamole came to the U.S. from Mexico.

Yep, I grew up in Santa Ana Ca.  Heavy Mexican influence.  Guacamole and excellent mexican food were pretty standard. 

I definitely prefer a good Haas or Fuerte to any "Florida" variety I have tasted thus far, although I have not tasted a wide variety of "Florida" Avocado's.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
I had an Asian friend who owned a small restaurant here (the food was great but he sold it and moved) and he used to make my wife and I bubble shakes.  One of the best ones he made us was a sweet avocado...now that Asian knew what to do with it. :)

Sounds like an Americanized Asian to me.  ;) I was talking about Asians living in Asia! ::)
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
Guacamole came to the U.S. from Mexico.

Yep, I grew up in Santa Ana Ca.  Heavy Mexican influence.  Guacamole and excellent mexican food were pretty standard. 

I definitely prefer a good Haas or Fuerte to any "Florida" variety I have tasted thus far, although I have not tasted a wide variety of "Florida" Avocado's.

Lots of Taco Bells also! I'm afraid most Californians eat at Taco Bells.  :( Yes there are also excellent Mexican restaurants, usually run by new arrivals. Here in Hawaii i have yet to find one good Mexican restaurant.  :'(
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk