Author Topic: Farmers Market in Funchal (Mercado dos lavradores)  (Read 10766 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Farmers Market in Funchal (Mercado dos lavradores)
« on: May 23, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
Hi to all :),

Today, I went to the farmers market(Mercado dos lavradores) in Funchal. Here some pics of the market...will post more pics in the near future. Low BATT >:(

Various bananas, Monstera deliciosa, Cherimoya, Banana passionfruit, Purple passionfruit, Sweet granadilla(P. ligularis) Black and Red Surinam cherries, Pineapple, Avocado, Sugarcane...

Cherries, Granadilla(P. ligularis), Purple Passionfruit(P. edulis), Large Maracuja(P. edulis var. flavicarpa), Banana passionfruit (P. mollissima)

Regards,
Steven S.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Re: Farmers Market in Funchal (Mercado dos lavradores)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
NOT FAIR! i will take a few pounds of EVERYTHING :P

-Luke

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
wow... with everything currently available at our local markets, I can officially say I hate you    ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:43:23 PM by Tim »
Tim

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »
WOW! That's very cool! Over here you won't find such a variety of (exotic) fruit in the markets. We should learn from our neighbours ;)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »
Very extensive and locally grown and better than most of what we have in USA but we have our own farmers market where you can find many growers selling local seasonal produce. Like being able to buy ramps, heirloom apples and pears and Brussels sprouts still on the stalk.  I can see some imported items in your Funchal mkt. like cherries there and probably those oranges. Do you have any fish market photos? One of the best Anthony Bordaine episodes was last year or two when he went to a large city in the Brazilian Amazon (Belem) and went into the fish market looking for this large jungle fish that Tony said would make great sushi

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:22:52 PM by zands »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »
Colorful fruits. Amazing!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
I'm glad you guy's are liking them pics :) ...I wanted to take pics of the whole market...the BATT went poof :'(

@Zands-Atleast 80% of the produce is produced locally...the rest is imported.

Here's the fish market...a person must go early to fish market to see it fully packed with freshly caught fish.
If I can remember...I think the fish that Anthony said was good for sushi...Pirarucu?

Tuna and that long black fish is called Espada preta...Tuna ain't got nothing on these bad boy's ;D They are my favorite and of course everyone else on the island ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 05:59:47 PM »
Hi Steven, thanks for the photos, very nice selection and display of color full fruits. Here we also have very good selection, but the vendors don't have that art of displaying the fruits beautifully, like in Europe, Asia, and S. America. Here they just make random piles.  :-[
Photographers dictum: "always carry a spare battery!"  ;)
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:43:41 PM »
Hi Steven, thanks for the photos, very nice selection and display of color full fruits. Here we also have very good selection, but the vendors don't have that art of displaying the fruits beautifully, like in Europe, Asia, and S. America. Here they just make random piles.  :-[
Photographers dictum: "always carry a spare battery!"  ;)

Hi Oscar,
Your welcome :) South Africa also didn't have the art of displaying the fruits. I was blown away when I visited the market for the first... :o 8)

"always carry a spare battery!" Excellent advice...Thanks ;D
Time is like a river.

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
What a beautiful market! Next time you're there will you ask if they deliver to Aruba?  ;D

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
What a beautiful market! Next time you're there will you ask if they deliver to Aruba?  ;D

Hi David...Will do so ;) ;D  ;D
Time is like a river.

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
Or maybe I'll just have to take the opportunity to buy a plane ticket. I bet it would cost about the same!

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 02:28:58 AM »
Looks good Steven! The Passiflora mollissima looks well shaped and size, better than I have seen before. Can we assume most is produce of Madeira Island (did I see kiwis and strawberrys).?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:47:45 AM »
Looks good Steven! The Passiflora mollissima looks well shaped and size, better than I have seen before. Can we assume most is produce of Madeira Island (did I see kiwis and strawberrys).?

Hi Soren,
When locally grown fruit like pears, citrus, apples, cherries, strawberries, kiwis...are not available, they are all imported from Portugal, Spain and other countries...I prefer to buy local produce than imported goods...Fresh is best :)

There are medium scale plantation of kiwi and strawberries...don't know if those in the pics are local.

Monstera deliciosa, Passionfruit of various species, Sugarcane, Avocado, Cherimoya, Tamarillo, Bananas...etc are not imported and is locally produce. Some of them is also exported to Europe. Cherimoya and Banana are the most exported.

I talked to a vendor about P. ligularis and he said that it is no longer imported and is grown in small scale throughout the Island and he also said that P.ligularis prefers to grow in a cool location were is not very hot.

There is also a huge papaya plantation under greenhouse in Prazers...I have seen it on the tele and it's freak'n huge...maybe, this year I will go there and take some pics ;)

Time is like a river.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »

Hi Soren,
When locally grown fruit like pears, citrus, apples, cherries, strawberries, kiwis...are not available, they are all imported from Portugal, Spain and other countries...I prefer to buy local produce than imported goods...Fresh is best :)

There are medium scale plantation of kiwi and strawberries...don't know if those in the pics are local.

Monstera deliciosa, Passionfruit of various species, Sugarcane, Avocado, Cherimoya, Tamarillo, Bananas...etc are not imported and is locally produce. Some of them is also exported to Europe. Cherimoya and Banana are the most exported.

I talked to a vendor about P. ligularis and he said that it is no longer imported and is grown in small scale throughout the Island and he also said that P.ligularis prefers to grow in a cool location were is not very hot.

There is also a huge papaya plantation under greenhouse in Prazers...I have seen it on the tele and it's freak'n huge...maybe, this year I will go there and take some pics ;)

Do you have bit of a climate thing going for the island like Tenerife (Canary Islands) which I visited many years back; within an hour you go from banana plantations near the coast to snow on the volcano El Teide.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:28:58 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
Very cool pics.  Now I'm hungry.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
Soren, I think Madeira also has this microclimates thing like most of the Canary Islands. For example in my location it is too hot for temperate fruit, temperature never drops below 12° celsius, but a few minutes away with the car, they grow apples, peaches, kiwis, plums...

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
Thanks for the fish market photos. Looks like after the peak morning hours. Those black eel-like fish.....Of course I have never heard of them.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
Thanks for the fish market photos. Looks like after the peak morning hours. Those black eel-like fish.....Of course I have never heard of them.

Hi Zands,
I found the english name for them...they are called Black scabbardfish-Aphanopus carbo.
Time is like a river.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 01:08:01 AM »
Soren, I think Madeira also has this microclimates thing like most of the Canary Islands. For example in my location it is too hot for temperate fruit, temperature never drops below 12° celsius, but a few minutes away with the car, they grow apples, peaches, kiwis, plums...

Here in Uganda we too can grow temperate fruits and the ultratropic, but the distance between the locations are not measured in minutes. I still remember that drive to the volcano; amazing!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 01:47:08 AM »
Same here Soren and Steven 20 minutes between durian,mangosteen and rambutan farms and up the palmerton highway to the tablelands with peach,strawberry and potato farms.It makes for great variety and excellent fruit salads and juice mixes.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 02:05:41 AM »
Same here:
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »
I'm no expert on climates. but, there sure is alot of microclimates throughout the world...Good example is my neighbour...He has Papaya, Figs, Cherimoyas, Avocados, Mangos, Cherries, Plums, Peaches(which I gave him a grafted tree)...all co-existing very well with each other and very product.

I also like to mix temperates, subs, and tropics all together. To have year round fresh fruits for everyone to eat and enjoy what life gives.

Take of the trees...the trees will take care of you :)

The endless journey of life and it's pleasures.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:08:47 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »
Steven a work colleague who lives in Kuranda (1600 ft alt) 18 miles from Cairns has durian,mangosteen,rambutan and longkong as well as peaches,figs,dorset apples,strawberries and persimmons.His climate zone would be 10b but almost 10a.His climate is influenced by the adjacent steamy lowlands,close peaks at 4000ft and adjacent tablands at 3000ft.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »
I'm no expert on climates. but, there sure is alot of microclimates throughout the world...Good example is my neighbour...He has Papaya, Figs, Cherimoyas, Avocados, Mangos, Cherries, Plums, Peaches(which I gave him a grafted tree)...all co-existing very well with each other and very product.

I also like to mix temperates, subs, and tropics all together. To have year round fresh fruits for everyone to eat and enjoy what lifes gives.

Take of the trees...the trees will take care of you :)

The endless journey of life and it's pleasures.

Hi Steven, i think it's a combination of lots of micro climates and also a lot of adaptability on the parts of some plants, for example low chill temperate plants, and also some tropicals that can withstand a freeze. It's nice to take advantage of the full range of bounty that nature has to offer us!  ;D
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 12:35:18 PM »
Hi  :),

@Mike- That's truly amazing to hear about your friend growing Durian, Mangosteen,Rambutan and longkong among subs and temps... 8)
            I think every one must do some trials and see what will adapt to their unique situation...I like to grow extra plants and let them out  in winter to see if they will survive...of course I will only do this with subs...truly tropical plant's will get really harmed.

@Oscar-I agree with you...Adaptability of plants is crucial for there survival...The list of species that will adapt to these situations is endless...Suris, longan and rio's will adapt very well.

I think that the climate can also be influenced by the sea?...Like Canary Is. and Madeira Is. is surounded by sea and it's seasonal currents. and of course the hot prevailing winds from Africa that we occassionally get.
Time is like a river.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »

@Mike- That's truly amazing to hear about your friend growing Durian, Mangosteen,Rambutan and longkong among subs and temps... 8)
            I think every one must do some trials and see what will adapt to their unique situation...I like to grow extra plants and let them out  in winter to see if they will survive...of course I will only do this with subs...truly tropical plant's will get really harmed.

@Oscar-I agree with you...Adaptability of plants is crucial for there survival...The list of species that will adapt to these situations is endless...Suris, longan and rio's will adapt very well.

I think that the climate can also be influenced by the sea?...Like Canary Is. and Madeira Is. is surounded by sea and it's seasonal currents. and of course the hot prevailing winds from Africa that we occassionally get.

Climate on land is very much influenced by large water bodies. Around lake Victoria there is a higher rainfall than otherwise observed few kilometers away.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:42:24 PM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »

Climate is very much influenced by large water bodies. Around lake Victoria there is a higher rainfall than otherwise observed few kilometers away.

Hi Soren,
Thanks for your input on this matter...I always like to learn more about the climate...In no time I will be an expert on this matter. ;D
Lake Victoria is a beauty :) Hope to visit that place some day.
Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk