Author Topic: South Florida Getting Soaked!  (Read 9694 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
South Florida Getting Soaked!
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
In my area we've gotten over 15 inches of rainfall since April 1--a very wet spring!  I know some areas, such as west central Miami-Dade, have had flooding, and I feel bad for them, but my baby fruit trees are just loving the rainfall.  The avocados, carambola, lychees, guava, mamey sapote, and papayas are pushing new growth like crazy. ;D  Thankfully my deep sandy soil drains very well.
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: South Florida Getting Soaked!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »
Same here.  :) The only bad thing is that some mangoes are prone to loosing their flavors when there is a lot of rain. One of them is Glenn. Other than that, the trees seem to be having a positive response to all this rain, at least in areas with good soil drainage like yours and mine.
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
Same here.  :) The only bad thing is that some mangoes are prone to loosing their flavors when there is a lot of rain. One of them is Glenn. Other than that, the trees seem to be having a positive response to all this rain, at least in areas with good soil drainage like yours and mine.
All mangoes will have their flavors washed out due to the rain as well as causing possible fruit drop, splitting and internal rotting/breakdown/jelly seed.  While this weather is great for the vegetative growth, this is not good with respct to the fruit.  The only trees in which the fruit will benefit from all this rain are the jaboticabas.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
All mangoes will have their flavors washed out due to the rain as well as causing possible fruit drop, splitting and internal rotting/breakdown/jelly seed.  While this weather is great for the vegetative growth, this is not good with respct to the fruit.  The only trees in which the fruit will benefit from all this rain are the jaboticabas.

That sucks. Hopefully, during the next mango season, we won't have so much rain. I think we are experiencing El Nino conditions. Usually, we are drier this time of year during El Nina.
Alexi

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
You're right about the fruit, Rob, and I sympathize.  In a couple of years I'll be changing my tune for sure.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »

That sucks. Hopefully, during the next mango season, we won't have so much rain. I think we are experiencing El Nino conditions. Usually, we are drier this time of year during El Nina.
La Nina has dissipated as of the end of April.  We are currently in an ENSO-neutral period.  While there are differing forecasts as to the length of time we will stay in the ENSO-neutral (extended forecasting of this type is very unreliable), it appears we may stay in this trend either at or through August when the long range, and unrelaible, forecast show the return of El Nino.  There are some models that show El Nino making its appearance between June and August but non of this is set in stone as the relaible forcasting does not go past a 30 day time period.
- Rob

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
It is absolutely amazing the difference a couple of hours can make...here in my area I've only had a total of .45" of rain for March, 1.8" for April and 1" so far for May. The only good thing is I guess my Mangoes won't have that watered down flavor. We do need some rain though...our Lakes are VERY low. I hope we make it up by having a normal or slightly above normal summer season.

Good luck to you all guys that's getting soaked...hopefully, there won't be anything too serious from all the rain you've gotten.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »

Its either El Nino or La Nina  :)
- Rob

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »
With a week to go, we are roughly on par for the month in Vero Beach, Florida - actual month-to-date rainfall is 2.40 inches, average monthly total is 3.55 inches (Weather.com).

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
Most split mangoes cannot be salvaged. Washed out mangoes and internal break down mangoes are preferable. When mango has internal breakdown that means you have mush around the seed? Also called jelly seed?  In this case you just eat the good parts of the mango.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »
We got lots more on the way, offshore radar is red!! and comming our way!! bass fishing under the mango trees!!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »

Its either El Nino or La Nina  :)

Whoops. Thanks for the correction.  :)
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »
We got lots more on the way, offshore radar is red!! and comming our way!! bass fishing under the mango trees!!

By looking at the radar, it's beginning to actually look like a tropical storm with the famous comma structure and feeder bands.
Alexi

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
I can see channel 7 sending reporters out looking for fallen palm fronds!!! lol

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »
I can see channel 7 sending reporters out looking for fallen palm fronds!!! lol

That's supposed to impress viewers??? BTW May is sweeps month when TV stations go all out to get good ratings...Behaving like slave drivers... so sending out the news crews on all sorts of perilous missions like getting fallen palm frond video

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
So true! bet they cant wait for the national hurricane center to call this something more than a low pressure area,buy your home depot and Lowes stock now!!!lol, well at least all this rain made my jaboticaba fruit for the first time,silver lining in everything.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »

By looking at the radar, it's beginning to actually look like a tropical storm with the famous comma structure and feeder bands.
There is an "invest" (elongated area of low pressure) spanning the NW Caribbean across the Florida Straight/Florida Bay/South Florida/East Coast of Florida.  Some of the reliable computer models are predicting the formation of a TD or weak TS by Saturday or Sunday off the coast of Georgia/South Carolina/North Carolina.  Currently, the NHC is giving it a 40% chance of formation over the next 48 hours.
- Rob

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
And just like that blue skies over Davie!! Maybe we can start drying up!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 04:27:22 AM »

Lots of trees should benefit from higher rainfall besides jaboticaba. Some others here that like lots of water during fruiting: rollinia, grumichama, surinam, acerola, avocado, citrus, lychee, longan.
BTW, high rainfall here does cause splitting in mangos, but don't notice any watering down in flavor as a result.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »
High rainfall does not diminish flavour here.10 inches of dry season rain again last night at my place and there will be no ill effects.The best fruit of those species locally is grown around Babinda where it averages 170 inches a year.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 06:23:04 AM »
With splitting aside, high rainfall at certain times of the fruiting stage definitely causes a watering down of a lot of fruits (I have noticed with not just tropical and not just with SFla).  Off the top of my head I have seen mangoes, lychees, strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon having the flavor washed out due to excessive rain at the "wrong" time during their fruiting stage.  Even tasted a fresh picked jacjfruit last week that sure seemed to be suffering from its texture being watery and flavor being washed out.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 06:28:10 AM »
bsb that is true that for most of those there will be a dry window needed in the weeks before ripening and in NQ we usually get in right on cue in october to early december.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 09:26:22 AM »
Send some of that rain over to your friends in SWFL... been dry all week after some much needed rain the previous week.
- Colin

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
Oscar how is the soil there, does it drain well?
Adiel

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
demongcr March had 50 inches of rain more than I could use.I would have gladly sent it to you.