Author Topic: Florida LOADED mango trees photos #1 in the series (5/27/12)  (Read 5725 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Check out this LOADED mango tree I spotted while driving in Tamarac Florida today. Not sure of the cultivar but it might be Fairchild.... 

FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Florida LOADED mango trees photos #1 in the series (5/27/12)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »
Nice tree, nice pictures.  The shape of the fruit does not exclude it from being Fairchild, but I would be surprised if it actually was Fairchild given its location and the size of the tree.  Did you stop and make friends with the owners??

Harry
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:18:15 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »
Nice pics! If that's a fairchild, it must be old since it is supposedly a "condo" mango.  I'm pretty if you let any condo mango grow wildly it can eventually get pretty large.
Alexi

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »
Nice tree, nice pictures.  The shape of the fruit does not exclude it from being Fairchild, but I would be surprised if it actually was Fairchild given its location and the size of the tree.  Did you stop and make friends with the owners??

Harry

I did not meet the property owner so I could not confirm the cultivar. It may be something other than Fairchild but my friend George has one that is BIG. Even condo mangos in Florida can get oversized if you don't trim them back.

FloridaGreenMan

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »

I did not meet the property owner so I could not confirm the cultivar. It may be something other than Fairchild but my friend George has one that is BIG. Even condo mangos in Florida can get oversized if you don't trim them back.

Small fruits help it be a Fairchild....I like this variety and have it. Good for planting on your perimeter, where you think your mangoes will be taken because the fruit is small and green. Turns yellowish in the end. No alluring red and purple colors

I see lots of trees around town with green mangoes. My guess is most are seedling mangoes. Can you see a graft on such a large tree? Prolly not.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »

Small fruits help it be a Fairchild....I like this variety and have it. Good for planting on your perimeter, where you think your mangoes will be taken because the fruit is small and green. Turns yellowish in the end. No alluring red and purple colors

I see lots of trees around town with green mangoes. My guess is most are seedling mangoes. Can you see a graft on such a large tree? Prolly not.
The graft would not be noticeable on a tree with a trunk of that size.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
Check out this LOADED mango tree I spotted while driving in Tamarac Florida today. Not sure of the cultivar but it might be Fairchild.... 

Can you get a closeup of the fruit to see if it has any distinguishable features such as a beak, dimple, etc. ?
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 11:25:38 PM »
I think its a Florigon. Fairchild can have a similar shape though, but tends to be slightly more enlongated. The fact that it appears to be an older tree and in Broward County lends some evidence towards Florigon.

Only way to know for sure would be to ask the proeprty owner and/or sample the fruit.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:29:41 PM by Squam256 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
I think its a Florigon. Fairchild can have a similar shape though, but tends to be slightly more enlongated. The fact that it appears to be an older tree and in Broward County lends some evidence towards Florigon.
Being that they do not look like they are that close to being ripe, while overall looks may say so I am thinking its not Florigon.  That is why I was wondering about any distinctive features on the fruit.and exactly how small they currently are (it is hard to tell actual size in these pictures).
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 12:55:41 AM »
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. TootieFruitie

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 04:37:42 AM »
Looks just like the photo of my Florigon i just posted in another thread, so i think Squam is right. I have Fairchild and tree is quite large but fruits are more elongated as i recall.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 06:36:05 AM »
Hi FGM,

That mango tree is freak'n loaded 8)

Thanks for sharing ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 07:43:30 AM »
Leaves look like Florigon and the shape is the same.The fact that the fruit isn't ripe yet doesn't say much either way.

Its unusual to find Fairchild trees that old. It didn't really start getting propagated much here until the 90s. To be fair neither was Florigon but Florigon did see a number of plantings in Broward county because it was distributed through the Broward RVFC  by the family it originated with in Ft. Lauderdale.

This is what Fairchild looks like:

And this is Florigon:

Notice how Fairchild is a little more enlongated, while Florigon has a rounder, more squat appearance.

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 07:52:44 AM »
I will get some ripe fruit later, post some photos and maybe speak to the owner so we can find out what it is.   
FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 07:53:49 AM »
I would definitely agree that Florigon is much more likely than Fairchild. However, as Squam points out, neither of thesse cultivars was extensively planted out back at the time this tree was planted. Doesn't mean it isn't one of them if the person planting it was "in the know" and a fruit collector/enthusiast or a person with someone that advised them who was.  However, it could just as likely be a seedling and we'd never know without trying the fruit.  Also, the Florigons, at least as my house, have begun to ripen and you see a fruit or two each day with a nice yellowish blush. I see none on this tree with any yellowing. Not conclusive, I know, but just another possible sign for consideration.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »

Can you get a closeup of the fruit to see if it has any distinguishable features such as a beak, dimple, etc. ?

Here's a cropped close up of the mango fruit
FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »
While, as Harry said, could be a seedling and all this guess work is for naught, looks a little like a Dot without any color...
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
The closely cropped shot looks increasingly Florigonish. Here's my Florigon from 2010 season.

I.D.N.C.U.T..........Identification not conclusive until tasted.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk