Author Topic: Red fleshed Avocado ?  (Read 7538 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Red fleshed Avocado ?
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
A customer came in and said they were on a cruise in the Caribbean and tried a red fleshed avocado from one of the islands.  Yes, they claimed the flesh was red, not the skin.  Anybody ever seen such a thing ?
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Red fleshed Avocado ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
A customer came in and said they were on a cruise in the Caribbean and tried a red fleshed avocado from one of the islands.  Yes, they claimed the flesh was red, not the skin.  Anybody ever seen such a thing ?

Maybe they saw a mamey...

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »
I was thinking since they were on a cruise,maybe they just left the bar and confused a red papaya with an avocado,every cruise I ever went on I was very confused after I left the bar!! lol

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 06:33:59 PM »
hahahaha
Zach

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »
Engkala? But its pink, not red. And the pulp isnt coloured. Probably a green sapote then, as the skin is green/grey, not that far off the big WI avos.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
I can not vouch for any truth to the red fleshed 'cado, just asking as the customer told the story that he was on a cruise and one of the events was a feature of all the different tropical fruits from one of the islands they visited.  He and his wife swore it was definitely a 'cado and the flesh was red, not the skin.  I had trouble believing it but thought I would ask as we have some on here with Caribbean origin...
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
To say I am highly skeptical of this reported red fleshed avocado is perhaps the understatement of the year.  Would be interesting to find out I was wrong though.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
I usually am skeptical of reports of unusually colored fruits BUT I was pleasantly surprised when I went to Thailand and saw a red fleshed Jackfruit for the very first time. I hope I am wrong and there are red fleshed 'cados out there. I will be on the lookout! The most unusually colored 'cado I've had was dark green near the skin with a layer of creamy yellow as you got near the seed... Come to think of it, that isn't so unusual after all.......
✌🏽

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
I usually am skeptical of reports of unusually colored fruits BUT I was pleasantly surprised when I went to Thailand and saw a red fleshed Jackfruit for the very first time. I hope I am wrong and there are red fleshed 'cados out there. I will be on the lookout! The most unusually colored 'cado I've had was dark green near the skin with a layer of creamy yellow as you got near the seed... Come to think of it, that isn't so unusual after all.......
Not so unusual either...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
To say I am highly skeptical of this reported red fleshed avocado is perhaps the understatement of the year.  Would be interesting to find out I was wrong though.

Harry
Trust me, didn't believe a word of it either but like you said, thought I would ask cause if by chance there was any truth to, would sure be a hit from a marketing/sales point of view...
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
How much for a "Caribbean Red" Avocado?!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:31:20 PM by pj1881 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »
How much for a "Caribbean Red" Avocado?!

A little sloppy on the photshop...I can still see some of the green on that California Haas... ??? :-[
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
I have to admit i went on a web search to see if i could find anything after seeing this post earlier today, searched in Spanish and English and didn't find anything. my guess would be same as murahilin. they most likely saw a Mamey  I mean, to some tourist not familiar with tropical fruits, its not a big stretch.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 03:27:37 AM »
Engkala? But its pink, not red. And the pulp isnt coloured. Probably a green sapote then, as the skin is green/grey, not that far off the big WI avos.

NOt likely to find any engkala fruits on any American cruise! Maybe in Australian cruises? I'm thinking the avocado was next to the beets, had a little bit of beet juice, and after a few drinks and other conspicuous consumption all becomes a blurr, as SW Rancher mentioned.
There was similar situation coming up with red fleshed java plums (jambolans) in India. After looking more thoroughly into it came out the vendor was dying the fruits with artificial coloring.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 06:27:24 AM »
Hi,

;D ;D ;D Luv the photoshopped H-ass Avocado...luks awesome!

Is it possiple to get red fleshed avocado? I hardly doubt it...But, there's always the possibility  ;)

I agree...they most likely saw a Mamey ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 06:28:16 AM »
Thats a shame Oscar. Engkala is a nice tree and decent fruit - very ornamental. There are not many around, as avos have already filled that niche, but they are fairly cool tolerant, some I know are growing on the south side of Brisbane okay. Southern Floridians should be able to pull it off okay if they have the space for a few trees for x pollination.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 07:53:16 AM »
BMc engkala is that a laurel as well, a litsea like the genus here? I have never tried them but someone showed me the capped fruit as said it has a unique favour.Is that fruitworld you are talking about where they grow?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »
Thats a shame Oscar. Engkala is a nice tree and decent fruit - very ornamental. There are not many around, as avos have already filled that niche, but they are fairly cool tolerant, some I know are growing on the south side of Brisbane okay. Southern Floridians should be able to pull it off okay if they have the space for a few trees for x pollination.

Mine are just now fruiting for the first time!  :) It is a nice tree but gets quite tall before it starts fruiting. Being in the laurel family in Florida it would be susceptible to laurel wilt, the new pandemic disease in Florida. Engkala (Litsea garciae) is pretty much unknown in USA. I think i'm the first to fruit it here. And there are a few trees in Puerto Rico. That's about it! Don't think it's going to end up on any cruise ship for a few more decades.
Oscar

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »
Mike, have heard that they grow down at TFW - they are freaks in what they can grow down there. The only thing that they cant seem to grow in their experimental beds are durio. I've not seen their Engkala though - they keep you an a pre mapped track for tourists when visiting the park. If there were a special group of fruit collectors they may show some of their rarer plants and experimental sites. The ones I was referring to are in the collection of a quite private collector in a warm pocket of town.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 03:15:40 AM »
Zapallas durios suffered in several mornings of 4c except for red prawn and D.macrantha which didn't lose a leaf.If they tried those and the laplaes I bet they'd have goers.I think the new laplae durian hype is due to seedless,plantation trees with low odour coming into production and all the advertising surrounding it.
It is funny I have seen the number... 500 species or varieties of tropical fruits  put up there for several big collections.Does TFW sell seeds and plants of their rarer types?

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:15:19 AM »
mike, i dont think they sell much of their own stuff. Mainly just avos i think, as they have a large selection being an ex government research station. they mostly sell daley's plants, but if you ask really nicely im sure they could sort something out. i've seen them give away boxes of fruit that have no commercial value - sour garcinias and the like - when visitors mentioned they like the fruit on the tasting tour.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk