Author Topic: My Mango Tree Gamble  (Read 1140 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
My Mango Tree Gamble
« on: September 09, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »
I went to Top Tropicals last Saturday and they had some mango trees that lost their tags and were 50% off. There was an additional 25% off sale on everything that day, which meant these trees were $30. So I grabbed a couple. Here's the two I got. The new growth on the one looked great when I got the tree, but looks like it got hurt by a bug or heat with not enough water after I got it home. I know it's a waiting game, but any guesses as to what they might be? I want to let them settle in before I start ripping leaves to smell them. My rotten luck these will be a Carrie and Angie.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: My Mango Tree Gamble
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
Maybe leave them in pots until they fruit
Too late!
Top tropicals grafts alot of their own trees and they could be most
anything.  At least they didn't sell them to anybody who called and
requested something not in stock. I went by there a couple weeks back and saw
those trees and was also tempted. They didn't have the additional 25% off.
I am not sure I am as brave as you I am at the point I don't even want to
buy 3 gallons.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 09:21:53 PM »
Ha! I did think about leaving them in pots, but everything seems to do better in the ground for me. I suck at container gardening.

What I'm thinking is, if I like the fruit of these and my seedling trees, I got lucky. If I don't, I'll have a solid base to topwork.

On a side note, I just tried my first mango tree graft (a Pickering cleft graft onto a not-so-vigorous PPK seedling).

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:08:57 PM »
Ha! I did think about leaving them in pots, but everything seems to do better in the ground for me. I suck at container gardening.

What I'm thinking is, if I like the fruit of these and my seedling trees, I got lucky. If I don't, I'll have a solid base to topwork.

On a side note, I just tried my first mango tree graft (a Pickering cleft graft onto a not-so-vigorous PPK seedling).

Are you planning to wrap the graft with parafilm or are you bagging it?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 10:16:32 PM »
I wrapped it with Buddy Tape. It did get a bit of hot direct sun for a couple days before I successfully devised a shade structure for it. Still hoping it takes.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 11:57:16 PM »
I know it's too late but but this guy has mangos for $35 each in the same area.

http://nofogroves.com/

luv2travel

• USA, FL, Sarasota, 10a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 03:31:54 PM »
I know it's too late but but this guy has mangos for $35 each in the same area.

http://nofogroves.com/

Thanks for sharing this!  I wouldn't have know about it otherwise.  So we drove down to NOFO Grove today from Sarasota to check out their mangoes and they had a great selection!  We came home with 7g Fruit Punch, Sweet Tart & Honey Kiss, and 3g Coconut Cream.  Aaron and his wife were very helpful and super friendly. 

He has a list of mangoes in stock on his website so you can see his amazing selection, and I was super thrilled to find he actually had Fruit Punch when his list said he didn't - so maybe call if there is something you want that looks out of stock and maybe you'll get lucky too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk