Author Topic: Is growing Imbe worth my time?  (Read 5247 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Is growing Imbe worth my time?
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
I have several seedlings of Imbe (Garcinia livingstonei) which I propagated from seed last autumn. The tallest 3 are about 6-7 inches tall, and it is the most vigorous Garcinia species I've propagated. I decided to grow it seeing that Jay from Columbus successfully fruited his. But it seems that the fruit production and quality haven't been great. Maybe I should keep them? Or possibly trade them off for something better? Would they make a good rootstock? What do you all propose?:)

Here's a photo that was taken in December.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:53:04 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Is growing Imbe worth my time?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »
Also remember that need male and female tree! Didn't know that at the time, ended up with male and Luc got the female, 30 km away! 😯
El verde es vida!

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:29:12 PM »
The few times I've had the fruit it was pretty underwhelming. If I had a ton of space I'd grow it. Otherwise I wouldn't waste valuable space on it.

I have one in ground, and plan in trying to graft achachairu on it.
Dom

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »
Also remember that need male and female tree! Didn't know that at the time, ended up with male and Luc got the female, 30 km away! 😯
Lucky for you to have another distant pollinator! I have six seedlings growing at the moment. I heard imbe is hard to grow from seed. But I had no issues with germination. I was also surprised at the growth rate. I thought it was a slow grower, but it grows faster than my intermedia, xanthochymus, laterfolia, and hombronia! What do you think of the flavor-wise, Raul?:)
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 10:51:43 PM »
The few times I've had the fruit it was pretty underwhelming. If I had a ton of space I'd grow it. Otherwise I wouldn't waste valuable space on it.

I have one in ground, and plan in trying to graft achachairu on it.
Keep us updated on the results of your graft! I want to see what it'd be compatible with.
Anisha

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 11:57:50 PM »
I read that in Africa is valued for medical properties
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 03:36:40 AM »
I would let it grow tall and use as rootstock for other garcinia.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »
I was also quite underwhelmed by Imbe both times I got to try it. Nice flavor but only a thin layer of edible flesh. I've heard that fruit can get much larger and juicier with extra water and fertilizer of some sort.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
I was also quite underwhelmed by Imbe both times I got to try it. Nice flavor but only a thin layer of edible flesh. I've heard that fruit can get much larger and juicier with extra water and fertilizer of some sort.
I haven't gotten a chance to try them. But I do know that the seeds are quite large compared to other Garcinias I propagated in the past. I'm probably going to grow the seedlings more and use them for rootstocks. They are drought tolerant, which is nice, but not a need for me. I was wondering if you could use the rinds in a beverage like with achachairu. I will probably trade a few as well for those who are interested. I'd love to have fruits shipped to me, but I don't know whom to order from! I've heard of a page via Instagram called "Miami Fruits". They have madronos when in season. They send a pound on them. Getting a chance to try the fruits and plant the seeds is a win-win even if the shipping is high.
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »
Yep! That's what I am planning on doing. Do you have any ideas of what imbe is compatible with? I don't know how closely related it is to it's Asian and South American cousins. I'm sure there'd be something on compatibility in a forum search.
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
I read that in Africa is valued for medical properties
I haven't read up on that yet. Not sure if I could apply that to much. Could I help some scientists developing some rad drug and get a lot of money?! :P I need that moola. XD I'll look into the medicinal properties though.:)
Anisha

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
Lucky for you to have another distant pollinator! I have six seedlings growing at the moment. I heard imbe is hard to grow from seed. But I had no issues with germination. I was also surprised at the growth rate. I thought it was a slow grower, but it grows faster than my intermedia, xanthochymus, laterfolia, and hombronia! What do you think of the flavor-wise, Raul?:)
I haven't tried, probably you didn't notice, I mentioned Luc's plant is 30 kilometers away from mine, we got it at the same nursery just didn't know it was dioecious, we got a plant each Luc's had little fruits at buying time probably pollinated from another nursery male, he planted and the fruits got to ripe, he mentioned about a nice flavor, I think he liked it,
El verde es vida!

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 01:57:57 AM »
Yep! That's what I am planning on doing. Do you have any ideas of what imbe is compatible with? I don't know how closely related it is to it's Asian and South American cousins. I'm sure there'd be something on compatibility in a forum search.
Can't remember which but there was some successful graft on the forum.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 03:09:46 AM »
Can't remember which but there was some successful graft on the forum.
It was Luc's Mexican garcinia grafted onto imbe by Mark in Chula Vista: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8707.msg271718#msg271718
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 03:41:28 AM »
They have been separated from their Asian and American kin for so long,are adapted to a drier climate, have milker sap and a different growth form that I am surprised they are compatible with any non African congeners. The fruit are ok at best but you wont lay  awake at night thinking about the fruit. Raking the teeth over the seeds for a few more morsels is standard in fruit with low flesh yields. I have seen many plants on their own with fruit and just assumed they are monos. The local name of Cooktown mangosteen came about due to feral specimens in the Cooktown area. They have been there for many decades.
The 'is it worth it threshold', is different for different people who grow things for different purposes. Not commercially as a fresh fruit and not by most who want more than a specimen with fruit to sample on an unusual plants. Enthusiasts are different of course.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 07:31:01 AM »
Imbe is certainly not one of the better of the garcinias. It's virtue lies in it being drought resistant, and extremely well adapted. The trees grow fine here where there is heavy rainfall area even though they originate in very dry climate. Also the plants have a strange and unique growing structure. Can make for an interesting centre piece in a garden.
Might also be valuable as a rootstock if many different species of garcinias could be compatible?
Oscar

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 08:57:14 AM »
How true are they to seed?

I wonder how well they can get via selective breeding, or if its even worth while.

I'm considering buy a few cheap acres in the future with the goal of improving hardy fruit tree selections.
Imbe and Pond Apple seem to be great candidates

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »

I haven't tried, probably you didn't notice, I mentioned Luc's plant is 30 kilometers away from mine, we got it at the same nursery just didn't know it was dioecious, we got a plant each Luc's had little fruits at buying time probably pollinated from another nursery male, he planted and the fruits got to ripe, he mentioned about a nice flavor, I think he liked it,
[/quote]
Raul, can you pollinate The female flowers with pollen from a different Garcinia species? What would that do?
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
They have been separated from their Asian and American kin for so long,are adapted to a drier climate, have milker sap and a different growth form that I am surprised they are compatible with any non African congeners. The fruit are ok at best but you wont lay  awake at night thinking about the fruit. Raking the teeth over the seeds for a few more morsels is standard in fruit with low flesh yields. I have seen many plants on their own with fruit and just assumed they are monos. The local name of Cooktown mangosteen came about due to feral specimens in the Cooktown area. They have been there for many decades.
The 'is it worth it threshold', is different for different people who grow things for different purposes. Not commercially as a fresh fruit and not by most who want more than a specimen with fruit to sample on an unusual plants. Enthusiasts are different of course.
It seems that it could possibly be a good candidate for a rootstock. It seems pretty versatile with dry and wet climates, which is a plus. I was a bit concerned over compatibility. But hearing that there has been success with grafting Luc's Garcinia onto it may indicate that other closely related South American Garcinias may work. I made the title vague in hopes of getting a wide variety of perspectives to measure it out. :D I didn't want to make the title too long-winded either.
Anisha

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 01:11:35 PM »
I'd be interested to see an update on the Lucs garcinia grafted onto Imbe to see how it has held up! Only recall seeing one photo of the graft wrapped up in tape still.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 06:08:53 PM »
How true are they to seed?

I wonder how well they can get via selective breeding, or if its even worth while.

I'm considering buy a few cheap acres in the future with the goal of improving hardy fruit tree selections.
Imbe and Pond Apple seem to be great candidates
I think almost all trees .around have been propagated by seed. There is i'm sure some variation from seeds but don't know how often that occurs. The traits that would be worth selecting for would be better seed to pulp ratio. Right now it is quite low. Also selections with less sap in the fruits.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »

Raul, can you pollinate The female flowers with pollen from a different Garcinia species? What would that do?
[/quote]I tried last year with a single flower, rubbing a Garcinia Brasliensis against it, nothing happened, I'm gonna try this year in a wider extent..
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 06:16:05 AM »
Cross pollinating with other Garcinias seems a real longshot considering how long they have been isolated from the rest.