Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940378 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #450 on: February 15, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »

Larger fruit

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 15, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »

Larger fruit
Good one!  :P Maby in 3 years i will get them too...  ;D

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks Harry and Mike T,

I'll probably just harvest them tomorrow do the insides don't get mushy. I believe there Mark may have the larger fruited variety as his fruit were quite wide in the middle and the stems also look slightly different than mine. I wish I kept the seeds of the Giant Yellow DF I ate in Hong Kong. The ones I ate in Hong Kong were almost too sweet, it was like eating spoonfulls of Agave nectar. From my memory, I actually prefer varieties like Halley's Comet, American Beauty and Simons purple. I like having the yellow because they ripen in a different season compared to the other DF varieties.
Simon
Simon, I picked my last one over a month ago, since we have the same weather, and my do get a bit larger I wonder if there are slight variations in Colombia also.
Bye the way I still have Voodoo Child and Houghton ripening. Also, all of the cuttings I got from you are rooted nice already.
I also noticed that the Lisa I received in 2011 at the Irvine Festival is a real slow grower.
Hey Mark, I'm glad the cuttings are rooting nicely for you. I just harvested my first two yellow dragons yesterday and they are really small. The larger one was only 7.75 Oz. These first two fruit are going to relatives that have never tasted the yellow before so I won't be able to provide a taste report until I harvest the next one. I would love a cutting of your Yellow Dragon and Lisa if you have any available.
Simon
Simon, no problem getting you some cuttings. Get ahold of me.

Mucbean

• USA, Florida, Lee County, Bonita Springs, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
This is the first time i've tried to grow dragon fruit. How do I cut the branches(?) that are growing out horizontally. If I try and force them vertical they will break.

Thanks,
Mike

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 17, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »
Hello, I new to dragon fruit, and have been reading all the replies to the discussion. I only own, the common, Physical Graffiti. I am interested  in any dragon fruit, especially the 'Yellow (spiky fruit)', and 'Condor'. I am also interested in the most dark fleshed variety, possibly, 'Lisa'. I'm happy to finally join the tread after reading all the previous comments.  ;D

Nice to meet you,
Nate ;)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 17, 2014, 09:17:04 PM »
is it possible to fruit DFs in pots without supports?  I know they won't be as productive, but does it have to get to 100s of lbs of weight? I am deterred by the support structure.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 17, 2014, 09:19:58 PM »
is it possible to fruit DFs in pots without supports?  I know they won't be as productive, but does it have to get to 100s of lbs of weight? I am deterred by the support structure.

If you don't like the support structure grow Cereus sp. instead. Good selections of Cereus sp. can get very close to DF in taste.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »
This is the first time i've tried to grow dragon fruit. How do I cut the branches(?) that are growing out horizontally. If I try and force them vertical they will break.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike I would remove the lower horizontal growing branches, which will help the main vertical growing branches.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »

Yes.

Maybe elevate the pot and train the cactus as a low bush.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 17, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »

If you don't like the support structure grow Cereus sp. instead. Good selections of Cereus sp. can get very close to DF in taste.

I am looking for good tasting Cereus...  And I take it that you have good Cereus.

Where can I find good Cereus in So Cal?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2014, 09:49:53 PM »
Interesting video of Gray Martin's Dragon Fruit farm in So Cal.

5000 plants. Note trellis and pots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1HrETp8_U&

Check his web site: http://www.wowdragonfruit.com

tanguy

• USA,San Bernardino
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
If you rotate them 90 degree, they will break. But if you rotate them by smaller angles (such as 20 degree), they will be okay. First you just rotate them about 20 degree, and leave them like that for about a week, then next week you rotate them another 20 degree and so on...until they are in vertical position.  I am training my DF plants like this and they are all good.

hellosf

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 18, 2014, 12:02:29 AM »
Mark/Simon (san diego folk) When are most of your fruit ready to be picked?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 18, 2014, 01:33:28 AM »
I get my regular hybrids (not yellow megalanthus) starting in mid summer and if it's a warm winter then up to February, 2 crops.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 18, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »

Do you know where to acquire these cereus that taste good?

Also, do they have colored flesh like DFs or just white inside?

Very interested but DF has so much more info, namely PIN's website.

How do cereus differ from hylocereus in terms of growth habit, requirements, etc.?

Thanks!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 18, 2014, 12:31:33 PM »
Yes there is Cereus sp. out there with red/purple flesh. I have one Cereus sp. that was sold to me stating the fruit was purple flesh. I am not sure how the taste is, but I am sure it will easily cross with other Cereus sp. There is also orange and yellow skinned fruit.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 18, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »

How do cereus differ from hylocereus in terms of growth habit, requirements, etc.?

Thanks!

I am not an expert...

I have not seen Cereus with colored flesh fruit.

I think Cereus is more of a desert columber cactus and Hylocereus is a climbing tropical cactus.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
Yes there is Cereus sp. out there with red/purple flesh. I have one Cereus sp. that was sold to me stating the fruit was purple flesh. I am not sure how the taste is, but I am sure it will easily cross with other Cereus sp. There is also orange and yellow skinned fruit.

Are these Cereus like Cereus peruvianus cactus?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 18, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »

Thanks!

I am not an expert...

I have not seen Cereus with colored flesh fruit.

I think Cereus is more of a desert columber cactus and Hylocereus is a climbing tropical cactus.

There is purple/red flesh I was told. Its from Bolivia, was told it was Cereus comarapanus (It looks similar to Cereus validus from online photos, though comarapanus does not have many photos on the internet). Here is a picture of the cacti I have;
April 2012

I may plan to do some future crosses with it, think it may be interesting to cross with one of the monstrose cereus hybrids. (fruit 3.6 inches (9 cm) long, purple) http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Cactaceae/Cereus_comarapanus.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:54:59 PM by nullzero »

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 18, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
Is anyone growing Selenicereus megalanthus? I have a very new garden so I would not be able to return with any cuttings.  :'(

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 18, 2014, 11:09:15 PM »

My plants are still young and only my Simon's purple and Yellow Dragon have fruited at this house so my fruit ripening times may not give you a good idea as to when they will normally ripen. The Simon's purple ripened for me last year around mid Summer with a second round of fruit late summer to early fall. My mother in law that lives down the street from me also has Simon's purple planted but in full sun and she started harvesting fruit about a month earlier than me.

I just harvested my yellows last week and there is one fruit and three flowers that just opened last night.
Simon

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 18, 2014, 11:23:43 PM »
Thanks Harry and Mike T,

I'll probably just harvest them tomorrow do the insides don't get mushy. I believe there Mark may have the larger fruited variety as his fruit were quite wide in the middle and the stems also look slightly different than mine. I wish I kept the seeds of the Giant Yellow DF I ate in Hong Kong. The ones I ate in Hong Kong were almost too sweet, it was like eating spoonfulls of Agave nectar. From my memory, I actually prefer varieties like Halley's Comet, American Beauty and Simons purple. I like having the yellow because they ripen in a different season compared to the other DF varieties.
Simon

Thank you for the great news, that large and sweet tasting Dragon Fruit do exist and are out there to be found/discovered, although I sure wish you had kept those seeds and propagated them here in the USA; perhaps on the next trip.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
Hello, I new to dragon fruit, and have been reading all the replies to the discussion. I only own, the common, Physical Graffiti. I am interested  in any dragon fruit, especially the 'Yellow (spiky fruit)', and 'Condor'. I am also interested in the most dark fleshed variety, possibly, 'Lisa'. I'm happy to finally join the tread after reading all the previous comments.  ;D
Nice to meet you,
Nate ;)

Nate,
F.Y.I.
It was recently reported by Ramiro Lobo (UCCE Small Farms & Agricultural Economics Advisor) that  recent completed DNA work; "Lisa", "Rosa", & "Cebra" could be considered the same.
Lisa, Rosa, & Cebra are Nicaragua clones being field tested at Irvine, CA research center.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 27, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
Am I alone in preferring Opuntia ficus-indica fruit to any of the Hylocereus?
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
Am I alone in preferring Opuntia ficus-indica fruit to any of the Hylocereus?

I can't comment because I have not tasted Opuntia ficus-indica fruit.

Hopefully in a few years I can comment.  I very recently planted some Opuntia varieties.