Author Topic: Choquette Avacado harvest in July??  (Read 991 times)

SoFloGringo

• Miami
    • View Profile
Choquette Avacado harvest in July??
« on: July 07, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »
I bought a Choquette avacado tree at the Home Depot in Pinecrest, Miami.  The tag says Choquette and harvest in Oct-Dec. The tree has lots of large Avacado's and its July. Is this really a Choquette?? Can anyone identify this Avacado tree. The tree is planted in Miami.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Choquette Avacado harvest in July??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 09:04:06 PM »
It looks like Choquette to me.  My friend had a tree.  He couldn't control himself, and when the fruit had some size, he'd start picking them in like August and September.  And they were watery and awful!  I'm surprised to see your fruit is so big already.  His fruit was never any good until November.
John

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:25:05 PM »
I bought a Choquette avacado tree at the Home Depot in Pinecrest, Miami.  The tag says Choquette and harvest in Oct-Dec. The tree has lots of large Avacado's and its July. Is this really a Choquette?? Can anyone identify this Avacado tree. The tree is planted in Miami.

Those avocados aren't ready yet. They'll get bigger and be ready around normal time. Wait it out!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 09:52:19 PM »
I've had Choquette hanging till end of january. However, holding them so late resulted in not enough time for Flowering in February/March.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 09:50:36 PM »
I've had Choquette hanging till end of january. However, holding them so late resulted in not enough time for Flowering in February/March.
Would you say it's alternate bearing?
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
I don't think it should be alternate bearing but what happened will tend to get a tree into a glut/scarce pattern where one year it takes off tends toward a bumper crop them back and forth.
I probably should have just harvested when they were ready and sold some but since I have quite a few varieties, and after 4 months eating all the avocados I wanted I was getting full of them and just left them on as long as possible.