Author Topic: Nam Doc Mai Question  (Read 1478 times)

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
Nam Doc Mai Question
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:11:08 PM »
I recently bought some mangoes (Cogshall, Glenn, Zill, Southern Blush, Nam Doc Mai) from a mango farm near Tampa.  I have seen pics (Fairchild) of Ripe Nams that the outside is yellowish with a lil pink blush, but I have also seen pics (PIN) of green Nams that looked ripe.  I tried the first green Nam about 4 days after purchase and it was completely unripe :(. About 7 days later the 2nd Nam starting getting a lil soft and not as green so I tried it out.  Of course it was better than the 1st, but still did not live up to the hype.

How do you tell when a Nam is ripe?  How many types of Nams are there and how do you tell the difference?

This is how I ranked the mangoes on taste only (1-5 with 5 being the highest). 
Cogshall - 4.5
Glenn - 4
Zill - 3.8
Southern Blush - 1.5 (smelled like Pine Sol)  :(
Nam - Can't fairly judge at this time

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Nam Doc Mai Question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:11:52 PM »
Your NDM were most likely picked too soon.  A problem that is seen far too much these days.  NDM should have at least some yellow coloration when picked.  The more yellow the more of that honey sweetness they will have.

I would say there were most likely issues with all the mangoes you had being picked too early.   While they may not be my favorites,  they are all very good varieties that should have been much better than what it seemed they were by your ratings.
- Rob

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
Thanks Rob.

No yellow at all on the NDMs.  I was told that they would ripen in a week or so.

Does the Southern Blush always smell like Pine Sol?

I will give it another shot.  Hopefully, I will like more than the Cogshall & Glenn next time.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
No, Southern Blush shojld not smell like Pine Sol.  It is an excellent mango.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk