Author Topic: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)  (Read 45482 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
Lunch: ZINC, E-4

I score a solo Zill Indochinese and today she was first up to bat for lunch.  Shoulders had blackening skin but otherwise in good shape.  This is a fine mean go with firm and smooth flesh, almost as thick as cheese. But there is nothing cheesy about it.  Chalky hints maybe.  Chris at Truly Tropical puts this in ether top 5 and for good reason.  It is a delectable mango.

E-4 was next up to bat and there couldn't be a more different experience from the prior days e4. This one had flesh that was close to white on the outside, orangey near the seed and translucent near the skin.  (Yes I will post a picture) It seemed in perfect ripeness to me.  Then the taste: in a word, unique.  I have never had some a melon like flavour in a mango and this one came with a hint of pineapple without the acid.  Intense. Sweet?  Yes.  And a juice factory too.  This mango has a unique combination of taste, colour that make it very interesting.  I have a few more so will see if this is a fluke or if this is the real deal with E-4.   Suffice to say, I am impressed.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2015, 02:15:45 PM »
That was my experience. Note I did say it was slightly past due.

Have you not learned yet? No one is allowed to have a contrary mango opinion to BSBullie. You are wrong if you think differently.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »
That was my experience. Note I did say it was slightly past due.

Have you not learned yet? No one is allowed to have a contrary mango opinion to BSBullie. You are wrong if you think differently.

Nobody else has said it had any such coconut/coconut cream flavor or resemblance.  You have sampled, thoughts?

Oh, Mr. GOAT, what if I said I ate a LZ and it tasted like coconut?  Or raspberry?  No need to answer, we all know what you would say...

While there can be slight nuances that may be noted in each person's tastebuds, each variety of mango, which are no different than varieties of any other fruit, have tastes that are what they are.  How many honeydew melons have you tasted that have a flavor of a peach???

I really think I may be done posting here.  This forum has lost touch with reality in many ways...
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2015, 03:04:24 PM »

Inside of my second E-4 mango

Amazingly sweet Cotton Candy - destined to bust up many top 10 fave mango lists

Zill Indochinese and E-4

Sleepdoc's immaculate Cheena

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »
Sweet Tart - I bought about 5 of these and not a single one tasted as good ad the ones earlier in the season.  Odd but true.  My friends enjoyed it but in my mind it was misplaced as a top tier mango in the state we had them. 

M-4 (said to have coconut flava), and it did.  I very much enjoyed this mango.

Kesar - this is another fine mango.  My first year having them and they impressed.  Will  be looking for me again in 2016.  By the time I got to the west coast....no more were to be found there.

Pettigrew - this was the surprise of the bunch.  Never had it and did not expect much.  Boy was it good.  Small mango but thick dense flesh was sweet and spicy.  A pleasant surprise. 

Mekong - I am not remembering this....

Zilate - this is a great late mango.  Striking color on the outside.  Elongated shaped.  I dig em.

Cac - big mango of Vietnamese origin with great flava, smooth flesh and just and all around great mango.  My friends adored this one.

Ice Cream - off the chain .  Used to be in my top 2 and still could make the top 10.  The one I saved for the SoCal tasting rocked the house.

ZINC - my final entry of the year for mangoes and may as well be a Z.  Great mango that can holds its one on any day.

I have 3 frozen mangoes left....Lemon Zest, Nam Doc Mai and Khunsee...we will see how long they last untouched...signing off for this year's feast...

Future

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
Sweet Tart - I bought about 5 of these and not a single one tasted as good ad the ones earlier in the season.  Odd but true.  My friends enjoyed it but in my mind it was misplaced as a top tier mango in the state we had them. 

Kesar - this is another fine mango.  My first year having them and they impressed.  Will  be looking for me again in 2016.  By the time I got to the west coast....no more were to be found there.

Pettigrew - this was the surprise of the bunch.  Never had it and did not expect much.  Boy was it good.  Small mango but thick dense flesh was sweet and spicy.  A pleasant surprise. 

Zilate - this is a great late mango.  Striking color on the outside.  Elongated shaped.  I dig em.

Cac - big mango of Vietnamese origin with great flava, smooth flesh and just and all around great mango.  My friends adored this one.

Ice Cream - off the chain .  Used to be in my top 2 and still could make the top 10.  The one I saved for the SoCal tasting rocked the house.

ZINC - my final entry of the year for mangoes and may as well be a Z.  Great mango that can holds its one on any day.

I have 3 frozen mangoes left....Lemon Zest, Nam Doc Mai and Khunsee...we will see how long they last untouched...signing off for this year's feast...

Future

Pardon me my friend
the Ice cream you had was grown in Peter's orchard in Socal you brought Gary, which electrified us, and Coc.....well, made the ladies blush and the guys strut lol

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »

Future

Pardon me my friend
the Ice cream you had was grown in Peter's orchard in Socal you brought Gary, which electrified us, and Coc.....well, made the ladies blush and the guys strut lol

Ah.  Pardon my error!  Blame it on mango memories.....thanks.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 19, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »
For posterity I post the full 2015 mango list which shatters the record 2014 year.  I make 92 varieties, more than double the 41 from 2014.  Can 2016 top this?

Edward
Wester
Tess Pollick
Rosigold
Dwarf Hawaiian
Haden
Coconut Cream
Angie
Carrie
Fairchild
Lemon Zest
PPK
Ice Cream
Khun see
Nam Doc
Ivory
Love One
Cushman
Springfels,
Keow Savoey,
Thai Ever bearing
Bombay
Sia Tong
Pim Seng Mun
Taralay
Seacrest
Dupuis Saigon
Guava
 Okrung
Pickering
Edgar
Fruit Punch
Val Carrie
Pickering
Choc Anon
Glen
Bailey's Marvel
Pram Kai Mea
Jakarta
Zill
Dot
Fairchild
Cogshall
Gary
Amy
Henry
Crystal
Philippine
Honey Kiss
Providence
Orange Sherbert
 piña colada
Maha Chanok
Sun
Peach cobbler
Neelam
Venus
Graham
Southern blush
Duncan
Mulgoba
Elephant tusk
Baptiste
34-12
O-15
Karen Michelle
Autumn
Harvest Moon
Son Pari
K-3
Marlys
Ugly Betty
Juicy Peach
Pineapple Pleasure
Beverly
Sigsiput
Mammou
Cac
Fairchild Emerald
Ivory
Alphonso
Kesar
Sunrise
Harvest Moon
E-4
Cotton Candy,
Sweet Tart
M-4
Pettigrew
Mekong
Zilate
ZINC
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:38:23 PM by Future »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
Deleted

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 19, 2015, 10:56:23 PM »
Future you forgot

Earlygold
Timotayo
Villasenor
Emerald
Aloha
Meele
Jehenger

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17181.0

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
Make sure you try the Hong Sa from F&S park/USDA Chapman Field.  It's amazing  :o ;) ;D

Seriously, though, have you ever attended mango mania at Fruit & Spice Park?  They have a lot of old accessions that you would probably enjoy reporting on.  They have a tasting and you can buy a large tote bag and bring home to sample.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
Future you forgot

Earlygold
Timotayo
Villasenor
Emerald
Aloha
Meele
Jehenger

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17181.0

Right! What's ¿wrong with this guy? ¿¿¿???

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
Thanks for the reminder JF. West coast represented!

Gunnar, thanks for the note.  I have been once it it is the same thing I have in mind but the date of late always clashes with something else.   

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »
Totally accurate or not I loved your adventure with your daughter.
Thanks for sharing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk