Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620753 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 10:06:52 AM »
Erica,  we're in a subdivision of sorts called Sebring Acres. It's off CR731, a bit west of the Venus General Store. Used to be fishing camp sites, now a refuge for all sorts of folks.
The auction has closed, sadly.  I used to sell my Lamancha bucklings there.  And it was "the-place-to-be" in Venus on a Saturday night.

Yes, my mulberry trees were still small, only in the ground about 9-10 months.

I wish I knew more about how to choose deciduous trees for this climate.  I don't think chill hours are the whole story.  The peach trees I bought in the spring bloomed after about 8 chill hours, in November.   If I hadn't moved them to Lake Worth for the winter they would have hated the freeze we had in December.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:20 AM »
Hi all,
Some of you might know me from yahoo rarefruit group where I have been a member for several years. Living in Kampala, Uganda and are cultivating rare tropical fruits. Always interested in trading seeds.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »
Hello Everyone!!! :)

A friend told me about This Forum and I joined immidiatly, But only now had the courage to post something :)
My name is Steven, I'm Subtropical Fruit grower and collector here in Madeira Island. I grew up in South Africa and My favorite fruit in South Africa was Marula!

My climate is Subtropical and Frost free, Which permit's me to grow several Tropical to Temperate fruit's, Being a fruit collector, it's really addictive! ;D I'm alway's collecting and looking for new fruit trees and I also got some Orchid's like Cymbidium's,Stanhopea's,Dendrobium's,Cattleya's,Coelogyne,Epidendrum's,Phalaenopsis,Paphiopedilum,Phragmipedium and Zygopetalum.

I'm Currentely Growing:

Tropical to Subtropical:
Cherimoya
Lucuma
Surinam cherries and Black surinam cherries in the seed bed.
Longan
Jabuticaba
Natal Plum
Tamarind
Grumichama
Yellow Dragon fruit
Giant Purple and yellow Passionfruit
Granadilla
Blue Passionfruit
Kei apple
white sapote
Papaya
Guava's
Yellow Cattle Guava's
Red Cattle Guava
Fig's
Banana's
Coffee
Avocado
Pineapple's
Tamarillo
Mango-Tommy Atkin's, I'm this Spring Glenn,Tolbert,Henderson,Rosa(Brazilian Var.), and Osteen. later on Keitt Mango.
Macadamia nut
Suger cane
Carambola seedling
Citrus:Eureka lemon
          Sanguinelli Blood Orange
          Lan-late Bahia Orange
Malay Apple seedling
Sour mangosteen seedling's

Temprate:
Kiwi's
Plum's
Peaches
Apple's
Blueberries
Raspberries
Strawberries
Prickly pear's

Thanks to all Administrators for Making this Forum Possible! It's Absolutely Fantastic!!!! :)

Regards
Steven

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »

Hi Steven,

I'm from Algarve. We are practically neighbours, give or take 1000 Kms of ocean ;D
I've noticed that you selected zone 10b for your location? Surely, unless you are at some elevation,
Madeira is a solid zone 11b or even 12. What do you say?

Again, unless you are at some elevation, there's loads of species that you should try
at your favorable location. I suggest you give mamey, ilama, a bunch of Garcinias a try...

regards,

Sérgio

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

warmwxrules

• La Crosse, WI, zone4
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »
I'm "franktank232" from the other board... 

I'm in southwest WI and grow a wide range of fruit trees such as: peaches, pluots, plums, sweet cherries, pears, apples, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, apricots...  Someday I hope to grow and fruit a mango (in a container) up here. 

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
My name is Ron just moved in to a home 1/3 acre in Kendall (Miami) and have set up a nice little collection of trees. Thanks to forum members Jeff and Sleep I now have;
Mango: Pickering, Neelam, Angie, and Coconut Cream
Sweet Heart Lychee
Jackfruit: Sweet Fairchild, Gold Nugget, and like 18 seedling BK Lemon(Thanks to Sleep)
Atemoya Gefner
Barbados Cherry
Key Lime
2 Jaboticaba
Look forward to be part of the forum this is a great site!
Ron

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
My name is Ron just moved in to a home 1/3 acre in Kendall (Miami) and have set up a nice little collection of trees. Thanks to forum members Jeff and Sleep I now have;
Mango: Pickering, Neelam, Angie, and Coconut Cream

Ron

Welcome, Ron.   Angie mango doesn't sound like a good match for you.  I'd be happy to trade you a Cogshall for your Angie. I'd even throw in some Surinam cherry cuttings.  ;)

Seadation

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »
Thanks but I'll pass lol. My hedges are Surinam cherries but I left those out. If you want an Angie just wait for the mango festival at fairchild that's where I got mine. You can have a BK Lemon jackfruit seedling if you don't mind the drive south.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »
By way of introduction, my name is John Caldeira and I am an American expat living in Fiji.  Early-retired, I have a 15 acre seaside hobby farm where I am currently planting a variety of fruit trees.   I am relatively new to fruit farming and devouring the internet and books to learn more.

The largest numbers of trees on my farm will be citrus and mango, due to their suitability to the land and marketability.  However, I am also planting many other fruit trees.  Thus far, this includes coconut, papaya, abiu, cinnamon, rambutan, mulberry, sapodilla, soursop, custard apple, starfruit, star apple, tamerind, jackfruit, rose apple, cashew, black sapote, coffee and tea.  Ginger and cardamom too.

My farm as viewed from the water:

My initial planting of citrus, mostly Tahitian Seedless Lime and Meyer Lemon on Rough Lemon rootstock:

I'll probably be asking occasional questions on this forum, and helping respond to others as I can.

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2012, 06:39:23 PM »
Hi John, welcome to the group. Your plantings look very nice. Been to Fiji a few times...i love Fiji and Fijian people! What island are you on?
Oscar
Oscar

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
wow, i know envy is not a good thing, but really jealous here. looks so beautiful. enjoy

Seadation

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »
Wow! Welcome John you have a beautiful place there. Talk about living off the land you can have a great setup there. How's the fishing? Fish for dinner and Mangos for desert life doesn't get any better.
Ron

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
Hi John, welcome to the group. Your plantings look very nice. Been to Fiji a few times...i love Fiji and Fijian people! What island are you on?
Oscar
I'm on the most northern part of Viti Levu, the biggest island (the pin on the forum map is exactly on my farm).  It's an intermediate rainfall area, which is great for citrus and mango.  Too dry for vanilla and a few other tree crops.

The fishing is good - no need to buy cat food :-)

Right now I'm growing sour orange rootstock for valencia orange, grapefruit and mandarin scions that I'll graft later this year.  I've also started a few hundred mango seeds that I plan to veneer graft several good varieties onto.  I've been unsuccessful in finding any mangosteen planting material here and variety choices on most species is very limited.  I am jelous of those you you who have access to so many varieties available in the U.S.

Below are some rootstock plantings in the shadehouse, which serves also as a rain-controlled zone in this rainy season!

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »
Oscar
I'm on the most northern part of Viti Levu, the biggest island (the pin on the forum map is exactly on my farm).  It's an intermediate rainfall area, which is great for citrus and mango.  Too dry for vanilla and a few other tree crops.

Right now I'm growing sour orange rootstock for valencia orange, grapefruit and mandarin scions that I'll graft later this year.  I've also started a few hundred mango seeds that I plan to veneer graft several good varieties onto.  I've been unsuccessful in finding any mangosteen planting material here and variety choices on most species is very limited.  I am jelous of those you you who have access to so many varieties available in the U.S.

Below are some rootstock plantings in the shadehouse, which serves also as a rain-controlled zone in this rainy season!

John

Hi John, i traveled all the way around Viti Levu, beautiful place. I stayed for a week at Nananu-I-Ra island, pretty close to you. Awesome snorkeling there! I have sent seeds from Hawaii to Fiji once and they made it through ok. You can check the seeds i sell at http://www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistforeign.html  I can send mangosteen seeds in July if interested?
Oscar
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2012, 02:50:28 AM »

John

Hi J
Do you get on the internet via wide area wireless network? Though it looks hilly where you are. How does one get on the internet in rural Fiji?

Z

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2012, 04:07:26 AM »
Hi John, i traveled all the way around Viti Levu, beautiful place. I stayed for a week at Nananu-I-Ra island, pretty close to you. Awesome snorkeling there! I have sent seeds from Hawaii to Fiji once and they made it through ok. You can check the seeds i sell at http://www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistforeign.html  I can send mangosteen seeds in July if interested?
Oscar
Nananu-I-Ra is very near - a 10 minute boat ride.  I picked some of my sprouting coconut starts (wild "Fiji Tall" variety - great for making coconut cream) from the north side of that island.  I'm also growing some of the dwarf varieties that are better for drinking.

I'll consider the Rambutan seeds.

My internet is delivered through the mobile phone network.  I recieve it on a little modem that looks like a flash memory stick.   It's painfully slow by EU and U.S. standards (no YouTube for me), but okay for most websites.

John
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:52:12 AM by jcaldeira »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »

My internet is delivered through the mobile phone network.  I recieve it on a little modem that looks like a flash memory stick.   It's painfully slow by EU and U.S. standards (no YouTube for me), but okay for most websites.

John

Too bad about slow internet. Other than that, being on or very close to the salt ocean for fish to eat, plus growing all you do, where you are is ideal. Is your  soil sandy? Do you have clay content and volcanic content in your soil?

internet:
The Topography of Fiji is similar to most island in the South Pacific. This islands are mostly volcanic in origin with a substantial number of the smaller islands

Z

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2012, 04:47:27 PM »
Oscar
Nananu-I-Ra is very near - a 10 minute boat ride.  I picked some of my sprouting coconut starts (wild "Fiji Tall" variety - great for making coconut cream) from the north side of that island.  I'm also growing some of the dwarf varieties that are better for drinking.

I'll consider the Rambutan seeds.

John

I was seriously considering moving to Fiji, but then decided to move to Hawaii instead. Though i loved Fiji i found it to be too big of a cultural jump for me at that time. Also i didn't like the fact that they get hit by hurricanes quite often. There was a hurricane there once while i was visiting.
Oscar
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
Too bad about slow internet. Other than that, being on or very close to the salt ocean for fish to eat, plus growing all you do, where you are is ideal. Is your  soil sandy? Do you have clay content and volcanic content in your soil?
The topsoil on my farm is mostly a good quality loam, with a little too much clay in some areas.   Most areas drain well, but water weeps out of rock in a few places for 3-5 days after a good rain.  The soil is shallow in some places, with soft volcanic rock underneath.  It's a very dark soil.  I use plain topsoil for starting plants in bags - nothing added.

I only started farming 5 months ago, and am still in the process of clearing land.  Only the first 3 acres have been planted with fruit so far.

Oscar, Fiji is a big jump culturally.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer here in the 1980's, so it was easier to adapt.  Hawaii is nice too; easier to buy things there.

John

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »
Hi everyone, I have been lurking on the other forum for a long time and decided to join this new one. I don't know much but I have been working on a tropical fruit orchard on a small dry island in the Turks & Caicos islands. Combatting drought, poor soil, hurricanes and my own ignorance, I have finally started to get some trees growing but not really fruiting yet. Really working on the soil by heavily mulching with ironwood needles, seagrass and wood chips and starting to add micros and sulpher. It is a red laterite soil as in parts of the Bahamas and lacks just about everything... Also started spraying with foliar micros but am only there two or three times a year.  Just wanted to say thanks for all the vicarious advice and I look forward to getting to know you all.  Dave

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2012, 12:31:27 AM »
The topsoil on my farm is mostly a good quality loam, with a little too much clay in some areas.   Most areas drain well, but water weeps out of rock in a few places for 3-5 days after a good rain.  The soil is shallow in some places, with soft volcanic rock underneath.  It's a very dark soil.  I use plain topsoil for starting plants in bags - nothing added.

I only started farming 5 months ago, and am still in the process of clearing land.  Only the first 3 acres have been planted with fruit so far.
John

South Florida soil has no clay content or volcanic content so yours is better just on that. Palm Beach County, Broward County and Dade County, you usually will get a soil that is 100% sand with the organic matter in it (humus) being what holds fertilizer and minerals. You might get a mucky soil depending on what era and how your land was drained and developed. Over by Lake Okeechobee lots of vegetables are grown on muck soils. You might have access to granite rock dust  http://www.permies.com/t/7154/permaculture/Rock-Dust if you have gravel operations crushing volcanic granite,

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
Hi everyone, I have been lurking on the other forum for a long time and decided to join this new one. I don't know much but I have been working on a tropical fruit orchard on a small dry island in the Turks & Caicos islands. Combatting drought, poor soil, hurricanes and my own ignorance, I have finally started to get some trees growing but not really fruiting yet. Really working on the soil by heavily mulching with ironwood needles, seagrass and wood chips and starting to add micros and sulpher. It is a red laterite soil as in parts of the Bahamas and lacks just about everything... Also started spraying with foliar micros but am only there two or three times a year.  Just wanted to say thanks for all the vicarious advice and I look forward to getting to know you all.  Dave

Welcome, Dave.  Glad you decided to join the fun here on the new Forum.  Do you have much of an issue with salt intrusion? You guys have been in the cross hairs of a bunch of Hurricanes that were near misses for us in recent years. How long has it been since you began your planting there? And, more importantly, what are you growing?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »

Welcome, Dave.  Glad you decided to join the fun here on the new Forum.  Do you have much of an issue with salt intrusion? You guys have been in the cross hairs of a bunch of Hurricanes that were near misses for us in recent years. How long has it been since you began your planting there? And, more importantly, what are you growing?

Harry

Hi Harry, hurricane Ike hit my place head on. Lost half the roof on the house and a huge Guinup tree. The roof was easy to replace...  I wasn't there but I think there was torrential flooding the week before Ike from hurricane Donna and I lost several loquats but most of my small trees made it through. I am about 15 feet above sea level so intrusion was not an issue but when i say there was not a leaf or bade of grass on the entire island, i am not exaggerating. That was in 08.  I started planting in 06 and have lost half of everything I planted due to drought, salt, scale, heat,white flies,  sun...  I have learned to mulch, build shade coverings, irrigate...I shipped in a ton of earthworm castings and tried to only plant saline and drought tolerant trees and plants. I am growing nance, black sapote, sapodilla, otholite gooseberry, Malay apple, sugar apple, soursop, Carrie mango, choquette avocado, jambolan, Indian jujube, breadfruit, strawberry guava, tamarind, Guinup, mulberry, panama cherry, Barbados cherry, natal plum, neem, canistel, loquat, caimito, mamee apple,  hog plum, finger lime, fig, kei apple,  key lime, pomagranate....  Some are five years old others I planted two months ago. A lob or of love, or insanity, not sure which:) I have learned a ton from reading your posts. Thanks:)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:45 AM »

Hi Steven,

I'm from Algarve. We are practically neighbours, give or take 1000 Kms of ocean ;D
I've noticed that you selected zone 10b for your location? Surely, unless you are at some elevation,
Madeira is a solid zone 11b or even 12. What do you say?

Again, unless you are at some elevation, there's loads of species that you should try
at your favorable location. I suggest you give mamey, ilama, a bunch of Garcinias a try...

regards,

Sérgio

Hi Sergio
Sorry for the late reply, I only saw it Today!

Yes, we are Neighbours :D, The elevation is about 220-230m above sea level! And The climate in Calheta rarely drop's below 13ºc, Some of my fruit tree's grow year round like the Kei apple and longan, In Santo Antonio I grow more cold tolerant fruit's like lucuma, Pitanga, Avo's, Guava's,cattle guava's,persimmon's...,  I also got 2 Garcinia Xanthochymus seedling's which i will graft with Budwood from a huge Bearing tree from Funchal!
This year I will try to get grafted Fruit trees from a web site That Felipe suggested!

By The way, I saw your Green house pics and it look's AWESOME!!!

Regards
Steven   
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
Hi my name is Joe and my addiction with tropical fruit started in pharmacy school about 6 years ago. I can't really remember how it all started but I think it grew out of the need for a hobby to take my mind off studying. Some things I like about growing tropical fruit and why:

-I like the idea that what you put in you eventually get back.
-I think it is so interesting how plants can be propagated by different means.
-I grow because my stomach makes me, I love to eat good food.
-I love to watch my plants grow and I have nicknamed them my "plant babies."
-I love to read and learn (this forum really facilitates that).

I graduted in 2010 with a Pharm.D. and currently work/live/rent in Vero Beach Fl with my girlfriend and 5 seedlings (unknown cultivar jackfruit, Mai 3, ivory mango, 2 store bought mangos) which I grow to just watch. The main garden is at my Fathers house in Boynton Beach Fl, which has dragon fruit, lychee, mangos, starfruit, pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, mamey, tamarind, Canistel, avocado, passionfruit, acerola, miracle fruit, grumichama, blackberrys, blueberrys, and a small vegetable garden all of which my brother and I maintain. It is difficult because I live 1.5 hours away from my Fathers house so I have to nag my brother to text me pictures of growth flushes, flowerings ect..but hopefully in the next couple of years I will own a house with some decent space. I have an excell spreadsheet of what my future garden will lol like lol.

When I am not working or gardening I'm fishing, exercising, stock trading. I'm into watches as well.

Happy to be apart of this community!

-JoeP450