Author Topic: fruit punch mango growth and taste.  (Read 12695 times)

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
fruit punch mango growth and taste.
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:59:02 PM »
Hey I was wondering if anybody knows how the fruit punch mango grows. Is it a dwarf or medium sized tree. I just got one as a 7 gallon and was curious. Also how does the fruit taste?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: fruit punch mango growth and taste.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 10:58:49 PM »
Its horrible.  Full of fiber and bland/sour.   Tree is bigger than a Valencia Pride.

Just kidding.  Tree seems to be a moderate plus grower, with a good full shape.  Somewhag similar to Kent but not quite as sprawling.   Fruit is large and colorful, sweet with a "Hawaiian Punch " like flavor.
- Rob

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »
Sure don't know how it grows, but it was definitely my #1 favorite mango of the gobs we tasted last time I was in Florida.  Anybody have any scions to spare?   ???

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »
Sure don't know how it grows, but it was definitely my #1 favorite mango of the gobs we tasted last time I was in Florida.  Anybody have any scions to spare?   ???

You must have a greenhouse?  That's where I grow my tropical fruit trees like mangos.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
Yes, Mark.  I do.  Though I often wonder weather if it is that the greenhouse has me!

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 09:37:59 AM »
Lol bsbullie....got me scared for a second. Thanks for the help just making sure

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
Its horrible.  Full of fiber and bland/sour.   Tree is bigger than a Valencia Pride.

Just kidding.  Tree seems to be a moderate plus grower, with a good full shape.  Somewhag similar to Kent but not quite as sprawling.   Fruit is large and colorful, sweet with a "Hawaiian Punch " like flavor.
Does it have Kent parentage?  How does it compare to Providence (from Walter Zill)?
John

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »
If I had to pick only one mango, 'Fruit Punch' would be it.

It is vigorous.  But not like VP or Haden.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:18:21 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 05:22:40 PM »
If I had to pick only one mango, fruit punch would be it.

It is vigorous.  But not like VP or Haden.

Har, keep in mi d the mother tree is not a good comparison of growth habit and vigor.  Same goes for the trees at Walter's as they are grafted on those 75 year old rootstocks.  Based on the trees grafted onto nursery stock from ZHPP, their vigor seems to be more medium plus.  Even the trees top worked at Walter's are not super vigorous.
- Rob

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »
So is Fruit Punch available for purchase anywhere in South Florida?

Also, if you had to choose only one mango tree to purchase would you go with Sweet Tart or Fruit Punch?

Jaime

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 11:11:58 AM »

Also, if you had to choose only one mango tree to purchase would you go with Sweet Tart or Fruit Punch?

Jaime

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago. Long story short, most people picked sweet tart

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »

Jaime

Fruit Punch should available at Excalibur.  If not, I may be able to get one for you.  PM me.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
I would pick Sweet Tart but there are some who do not rate it as the best.  I know some do prefer Fruit Punch as their favorite.
- Rob

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »

Jaime

Fruit Punch should available at Excalibur.  If not, I may be able to get one for you.  PM me.

Thanks, I'll let you know when I head up that way to make sure that it's in stock!

Jaime

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 12:19:36 AM »
Does anybody know if Excalibur or anybody else in south Florida has the Fruit Punch mango fruit for sale?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 12:55:56 AM »
Does anybody know if Excalibur or anybody else in south Florida has the Fruit Punch mango fruit for sale?

Unfortunately the season is over for the fruit.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
I would pick Sweet Tart but there are some who do not rate it as the best.  I know some do prefer Fruit Punch as their favorite.

Curious, if you (or any other lurkers) were to choose Fruit Punch over Mallika which one would you choose and why?  3rd fruiting on the Mallika and I'm thinking about pulling it.  Wife won't eat the fruit at all.  Almost tastes like a pasty, somewhat fibrous carrot.  I have picked at different stages of ripening too.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 09:11:04 AM »
It's quite possible I've never had a Mallika at its best.

That said, I would* definitely choose Fruit Punch. It has a great, overall fruity, mangoey flavor. It's a decent size, and pleasant to look at as well.

*I gave Mallika away a long time ago.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 10:18:38 AM »

Curious, if you (or any other lurkers) were to choose Fruit Punch over Mallika which one would you choose and why?  3rd fruiting on the Mallika and I'm thinking about pulling it.  Wife won't eat the fruit at all.  Almost tastes like a pasty, somewhat fibrous carrot.  I have picked at different stages of ripening too.

Mark,
Malika is a difficult mango and very inconsistent. My best Malika's were when I grew them in a box, they were amazing. Once I planted in the ground I haven't had a good one ...... I begun top working the tree.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 10:49:32 AM »
The 6 Mallikas I had this year were excellent, they were grown in a friends yard. I agree with JF that they can be difficult to determine when to pick. The advantage of Mallika and several other Indian mangos is that they can be picked green which may be advantageous in your front yard. They have a honey like taste and are a relatively large fruit. Having said this, I prefer Fruit Punch because I prefer the tropical mango flavor of the fruit punch over the honey taste of the Mallika.

I've only tasted the Fruit Punch mangos at our local mango tastings, I've never eaten an entire fruit but I do remember liking it very much. I was told that the a Fruit Lunch we had were not in optimal condition so it's probably even better than what I've tasted previously.

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »

I would go with Mallika just by a hair.  If not fully ripe a Mallika can be a little off but when ripe, excellent.  Don't get me wrong, Fruit Punch is also very good.

Maybe consider others such as Fairchild, Pineapple Pleasure (if you are willing to work with a vigorous grower), Son Pari (just recently tasted and was very much excited over this), Coc (or sometimes referred to as Cac)...or wait for the new varieties to be released most likely the early part of 2017.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »
Hope I'm not hijacking an old thread, but, just got Fruit Punch and Pineapple Express scions at an Austin scion exchange yesterday.  Will TRY a bark graft, a first for me as I've always stuck to cleft and veneer.  Any tips are appreciated.  Mallika is the rootstock I'll be using which was topped down to 1.25" stubs.  Hope the bark slips!  This completes my collection which includes Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart.  Are these 4 all Zill varieties?

Mallika is just now pushing green foliar nubs.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:26:41 AM by Mark in Texas »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »
Its Pineapple Pleasure,  not Express.

I assume thats in your greenhouse?  What are temps/humidity in the greenhouse?  I would not have cut back all the brances.  Would have dome better leaving some original leaves plus helps shade the graft (although shade may not be an issue in your greenhouse).

Normally here it would be a little early to try this outdoors but if the conditions inside the greenhouse are sufficient,  you may be alright.
- Rob