Author Topic: Grafted Tree VS Seedling Tree  (Read 4852 times)

Cherimoya

• Sabah,Malaysia
    • View Profile
Grafted Tree VS Seedling Tree
« on: November 24, 2012, 02:03:31 AM »
Hi everybody,im new in planting a fruit tree so I need an advise and opinion. Im germinating a fews Cherimoya seeds now,but as i know grafted tree will produce fruits faster and also result a dwarf tree,and seedling tree need longer period to produce fruits and its grow larger.
Grafting a fruit tree need an old tree's scion to graft (upper) with a young seedling tree (bottom),but my question is-- Since i have no old Cherimoya tree,so CAN I GRAFT 2 YOUNG TREES (1 YOUNG TREE BOTTOM WITH ANOTHER YOUNG TREE UPPER) to obtain the same result when its grow up?
Thanks all! ;)
Cherimoya is just my nickname here,nothing special :P

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Grafted Tree VS Seedling Tree
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:21:59 AM »
Hi everybody,im new in planting a fruit tree so I need an advise and opinion. Im germinating a fews Cherimoya seeds now,but as i know grafted tree will produce fruits faster and also result a dwarf tree,and seedling tree need longer period to produce fruits and its grow larger.
Grafting a fruit tree need an old tree's scion to graft (upper) with a young seedling tree (bottom),but my question is-- Since i have no old Cherimoya tree,so CAN I GRAFT 2 YOUNG TREES (1 YOUNG TREE BOTTOM WITH ANOTHER YOUNG TREE UPPER) to obtain the same result when its grow up?
Thanks all! ;)

no, you will need a mature tree to take scions from!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
Hi,

As Adam said, you want mature scions (top part) to get early fruiting
and preserve the known quality of the cultivar.

However, if you already have a mature/larger Annona plant,
compatible with cherimoya, such as sugar apple or atemoya,
you could try use it as root stock. A mature, well-established
rootstock might trick the seedling scion to fruit sooner.

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Cherimoya

• Sabah,Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »
Ok thanks to both of you for the clear instruction,I know what to do now!  8)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
What's your elevation in Sabah? I don't think you will have good success below 1000 meters. I just don't want you to waste your time. Also some parts of Sabah might be too wet, but I guess actual growers can give some input here. I do understand your obsession however. Sometimes I would crave cherimoya even more than durian :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
If you had the acreage, you could plant over 100 seedling cherimoya trees. Perhaps some of them would not produce fruit, but I am sure you would find a couple that fruited in the climate.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Cherimoya

• Sabah,Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
What's your elevation in Sabah? I don't think you will have good success below 1000 meters. I just don't want you to waste your time. Also some parts of Sabah might be too wet, but I guess actual growers can give some input here. I do understand your obsession however. Sometimes I would crave cherimoya even more than durian :)
No wonder I can't find a Cherimoya in my local market.Since I have tried once when im at Singapore (its imported from USA),It's taste so good and just perfect for me.
Well,never mind I just try my best and will update the progress in future,anyway thanks for your info!  ;)

Cherimoya

• Sabah,Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »
If you had the acreage, you could plant over 100 seedling cherimoya trees. Perhaps some of them would not produce fruit, but I am sure you would find a couple that fruited in the climate.
Haha it's a good idea but I only planning to plant 2-3 trees at my backyard  :'(

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »
No wonder I can't find a Cherimoya in my local market.Since I have tried once when im at Singapore (its imported from USA),It's taste so good and just perfect for me.
Well,never mind I just try my best and will update the progress in future,anyway thanks for your info!  ;)

Thanks for the great business idea ;). Buy up all the cherimoyas from Sri Lanka's highlands for $1 per kilo and export them to Singapore. USA cherimoyas in Singapore must be like 10 dollars per kilo I assume? Sri Lankan cherimoyas tasted much better to me than California ones.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
DurianLover, what varieties of Cherimoya from Sri Lanka did you like?
Adiel

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »
DurianLover, what varieties of Cherimoya from Sri Lanka did you like?

I have no idea, nor I do local growers. I'm pretty sure about that. It's rather simple over there. Every fruit is called by common name, even though difference in cultivars are pretty obvious. Only mango and banana cultivars have names. In the last decade agriculture department began selecting breading and introducing "brands" to other fruits. It still has some catch up to do in local consciousness.
Cherimoyas come from way up in the hills, I don't really go there. But they are readily available in lowland markets when in season.

Cherimoya

• Sabah,Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »
Thanks all! ;)

no, you will need a mature tree to take scions from!

In this case,may be i need somebody to share me his mature cherimoya tree scion in future.... ;D Just wait my baby tree to grow up first  :D