Author Topic: Polka Dot Cherry?  (Read 1674 times)

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Polka Dot Cherry?
« on: May 28, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
One of my Lapins cherry grafts have been producing polka dot cherries for two years now. The cherry tasted good, but it is weird that it has polka dots instead of dark red color just like in my other grafts. Did this branch mutate? Was it infected? Was the label on the scionwood exchange correct? I don't know of any cherry that's polka dotted. This picture was from last year, the cherry was hit by hail, so I thought it turned polka dots. This year, the blotches of red are better looking and the cherries are tastier, too bad I forgot to take the pic before I gobbled them up!

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
Re: Polka Dot Cherry?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »
Look no further.
The problem comes from hail, I have the same thing on plums, cherries and even apples this year.

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 11:34:00 AM »
Look no further.
The problem comes from hail, I have the same thing on plums, cherries and even apples this year.

This year we didn't have hail, and I had the same pattern on the cherry fruits, only that they're prettier and tastier this year. Too bad I gobbled them up before I took their pictures!

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 06:07:07 PM »
My apologies.
But hard to judge on a photo of the year or there was hail.
The coloring areas are the areas where there seems to have been a shock or not ?
Otherwise I don't see what could have produced this. Especially if your other cherry tree doesn't behave the same way.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 07:29:46 PM »
Its most likely the color of the cultivar or somme chemical that the plant misses that cause this.

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
cultivar color no that's impossible.
The Lapin cherry is red and not of this color.
When a few chemicals I doubt it too but why not.
The mutation is possible but I have never seen it like this, I saw cherries stark gold ( color yellow ) take on some cherry the color of the Cherry Napoleon ( color red and yellow ) when stark gold is grafted on Napoleon.
But I've never seen this, except due to hail (but there are traces of impact if that's the case).
However even hail (unless it is very strong to destroy the fruit) does change the color to maturity

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:01:51 PM by shiro »