Author Topic: Myrica rubra  (Read 73784 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: Myrica rubra
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
My one lone survivor is looking very healthy. The rootstock has produced many sprouts (the leaves are different than the 'Zuiko' grafted on top). I was asking the nurseryman if it was possible they grafted the female onto a known male and he said since the rootstock is often seedlings they wouldn't know. He thought my plan of waiting until I see flowers and go from there was a good one. I have to keep this guy in a pot (all in-the-ground M. rubra have failed, even with a super mild winter) so it may take a while for it to bloom. I had the tag translated and it mentions 'Zuiko' as good for container growing.

The friends at the arboretum said that these guys are easy from cuttings but I haven't tried it. I will need to prune next summer and may try it then. I am also growing different Myrica species and may try to graft onto them just as a test.

Fruit trees teach you patience thats for sure!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2012, 03:37:39 PM »
There's potentially another import of these from another nursery. The shipping is more expensive due to the location. But they have the Biqi and Crystal cultivars and the plants are more mature.

People who germinated these from seeds say the ones that do germinate are doing well. According to the Australian report, te seedlings would have to be red elected for texture, size, color, taste when they have fruit. So grow more than you plan to keep.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »
There's potentially another import of these from another nursery. The shipping is more expensive due to the location. But they have the Biqi and Crystal cultivars and the plants are more mature.

People who germinated these from seeds say the ones that do germinate are doing well. According to the Australian report, te seedlings would have to be red elected for texture, size, color, taste when they have fruit. So grow more than you plan to keep.

I would not mind growing out 10-20 plants from seeds  ;D. Now just need a source for good M. rubra seeds.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2012, 01:09:35 AM »
I got the seeds from my brother, who went to China in June. They were treated with 900ppm GA3 in August and have otherwise been placed in zip-lock bags wrapped with moist coffee filters.

Lucky you.  I asked my wife to get some seeds when she was in China last summer.  She did but she didn't put them in any kind of bag, so they were kind of sorry looking when I met up with her in Singapore.  Probably I should have still tried them but I figured they were dessicated and no longer viable.

What did your brother think about the fruit?  My wife had a very low opinon of it but: she isn't a fruit fantatic like myself, and she didn't necessarily get a good variety (she just bought some from some random vendor).

He liked the fruit without describing the taste in details, but since lychee was in season at the same time they took his attention  ;D
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
Today i bought a can of arbutus on the market. I even bought 2 because i expected them to be nice but they are not at all.

They were in syrup like you can buy lychee but this fruit is not reccomendable out of a can.

I know the Myrica rubra is another fruit and i hoped to find them on the or-tor-kor market in Bangkok but they only had this one in a can. Well i learned something today.

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »
Anybody interested in Myrica nagi syn Myrica esculenta ? It is available in India.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2013, 12:53:54 PM »
The fruit looks very similar to M. rubra. I would be interested in seeds, if you can mail them to the US.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2015, 01:01:47 PM »
Any updates on establishing trees or sources of seeds/trees?
Shane

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
Just for a heads up, these trees don't appreciate tap water that much. Try to stick to rain water or similar water.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2015, 03:45:15 PM »
Just for a heads up, these trees don't appreciate tap water that much. Try to stick to rain water or similar water.

That's not the first time I've heard that. There's a lady in New Zealand that has lost half of her crop. She suspects town water as the culprit.
I'm giving mine rain water only and then only sparingly.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »

That's not the first time I've heard that. There's a lady in New Zealand that has lost half of her crop. She suspects town water as the culprit.
I'm giving mine rain water only and then only sparingly.

I had a friend give me 3 seedlings, I used regular hose tap water on the seedlings along with the rest of the plants. All 3 seedlings died, I have a feeling my friend was using osmosis water or something similar to water the seedlings. Sad that I lost them, but I learned never to use tap water on them again. Perhaps this issue can be fixed with grafting to rootstock more tolerant to tap water.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »
I'm starting from seeds again. I've lost seedlings before to heat and dryness, mostly heat.
My grafted plant is doing okay for the 3rd year. Only about 2ft tall but lots of branches. I use tap water now but RO water at first when it was weak.

A friend is going to China next month and expects to bring back some plants. I'm not sure how many she's allowed or how many she wants to carry. I was planning to go there in March too but I need to push it back a little and will miss the prime time for barerooting.

Considering how difficult it is to establish here, if you ask someone to import it, don't get too upset if it die on you. It's not yours or the other person's fault. I expect nurseries to charge multiples of their import cost for each plant, at least at first.

Someone in norcal has success grafting it to M. cerifera so that's what I'll do to backup mine too.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2015, 09:59:37 PM »
Has anyone on the forum managed to establish a tree? And get it to fruit?

Shane

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2015, 11:51:14 PM »

I got two 1m seedlings getting tap water regularly without any problems.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2015, 01:52:29 AM »
People in Australia are ahead of us on this one.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2015, 02:22:15 AM »

I got two 1m seedlings getting tap water regularly without any problems.

I think the tap water is akaline and has higher amounts of salts (Los Angeles County water). Not to mention flourine etc. I think it mostly comes from the Colorado River.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
Has anyone tried the seeds from Tradewinds? I put some in a couple pots after soaking them overnight in gibberic acid. I hear they are slow germinating. Been wanting one or two of these for awhile to finish out my strawberry tree triumvirate :P

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »
I have a grafted tree that is doing well on southern bayberry rootstock. I am hoping to have a few more successful grafts in the next few weeks. I had another great looking one going that was about three foot tall but a deer decided to use it as a scratching post and snapped it in half just below the graft.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
Ouch.

Nullz, my well water is about 10-fold less salty/hard than city water (160uS/cm vs. 1600 for san diego city water).
Shane

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
I've never tried Tradewind seeds. Horizon Herbs used to also sell seeds.
The seeds are naturally around 25% aborted. Plus the shell and seed coat inhibits growth. GA3 soak isn't as effective as just cracking the seed out of the shell. Be careful since the seed is fragile.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »
If anyone has a native bayberry and wants a small scion, please contact me. I'm grafting a branch over to another variety and the branch is also a selected variety -- DongKui.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2015, 10:40:26 PM »
If anyone has a native bayberry and wants a small scion, please contact me. I'm grafting a branch over to another variety and the branch is also a selected variety -- DongKui.

Fang,

I would take you up on that when I eventually get a native bayberry. Btw, thanks again for the Opuntia Santa Ynez.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2015, 11:41:14 PM »
I think ill get one now for rootstock
Shane

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »
Anyone know how long it takes to grow a native bayberry from seed to grafting size? I have Myrica cerifera seeds in a pot now. Hopefully the germination rate is good.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2015, 09:20:26 PM »
Web says M. Californica and M. Cerifera do better with 3mos cold stratification.
Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk