Author Topic: Advice getting seeds and plants from Costa Rica legally  (Read 1552 times)

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
Advice getting seeds and plants from Costa Rica legally
« on: September 02, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
Will be traveling to Costa Rica the 19th of this month staying around Arenal and Puerto Viejo.  Can anyone offer advice on the best way to make the most of my small seed lot permit? Also is there a way to ship out plants? I haven't talked to the usda personally yet. I'm wanting to max out the limits of what I can ship/carry/pack legally. Any advice appreciated.  I've an approved permit for all allowed taxa (thanks for the advice luc)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Advice getting seeds and plants from Costa Rica legally
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 02:34:39 AM »
Will be traveling to Costa Rica the 19th of this month staying around Arenal and Puerto Viejo.  Can anyone offer advice on the best way to make the most of my small seed lot permit? Also is there a way to ship out plants? I haven't talked to the usda personally yet. I'm wanting to max out the limits of what I can ship/carry/pack legally. Any advice appreciated.  I've an approved permit for all allowed taxa (thanks for the advice luc)
Check your small seed lot permit. Some of the newer permits don't allow you to bring seeds back in person, so you might have to mail them back. Follow the instructions on your permit. For plants you would need to get a phyto sanitary certificate in Costa Rica before mailing them back.
Oscar

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:44:03 AM »
Check your small seed lot permit. Some of the newer permits don't allow you to bring seeds back in person, so you might have to mail them back. Follow the instructions on your permit. For plants you would need to get a phyto sanitary certificate in Costa Rica before mailing them back.

+1  :D

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
If you are going to Puerto Viego de Talamanca on the Caribbean coast, be sure to see member Peter Krings tropical fruit forest at www.costaricaorganicsfarm.com  He has an informative tour and fruit tasting.

There is also the agricultural station at Turrialba which you can find with google.

Erica

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
I would definitely mail your seeds back. Way easier than trying to hand carry.  I have come in through Seattle in the past with seeds in luggage, but maybe that has changed? 

As far as plants, there are a lot of regulations, but you CAN bring in up to 12 plants back in your luggage WITHOUT any permit, provided they are not on the "prohibited" list, do not require special procedures, are of a certain size, have a phytosanitary certificate, and a few more rules.  They can't be in soil (I love the polymer crystals because when you get home, you can plant the whole thing, crystals and all). The USDA has a whole list of things they can be planted in.

The size and age of plants allowed varies, but you can check all that out on the USDA APHIS site at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information/permits/plants-and-plant-products-permits/plants-for-planting/ct_q37_protocols

It can be pretty complex, but if you just have one or two plants in mind, and can find a nursery that does permits etc, it may be worth it.  I have read up on it, but never actually tried it.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk