Author Topic: Looking for seeds of R2E2 and Honey Gold mangoes  (Read 1384 times)

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
Looking for seeds of R2E2 and Honey Gold mangoes
« on: October 20, 2018, 05:32:26 PM »
I know these are varieties that are protected but I’ve seen a few people growing them from seed since they are poly embryonic. I want to try and see if I can get my hands on some seeds maybe just couple.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for seeds of R2E2 and Honey Gold mangoes
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
Is there particular reason you want to grow R2E2? I gave it a chance like 4 or 5 times, kept thinking it's just a bad batch. All of them were Australian imports, tried at different places around the world. They are not worthy, basically Australian version of Tommy Atkins. In fact threw away two fruits after just one bite. It was that bad.

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
I read a few good things about it and I have a large amount space in my collection left to fill so might as well add it. Have you tried the honey Gold? I’ve heard good things of it but in the back of my mind I feel it will be equivalent to a Kensington pride in terms of all of its characteristics.

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:17:50 AM »
R2E2 here in Australia look amazing but very bland taste. Probably only worth using as rootstock as I believe they are quite cold tolerant.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 06:34:29 PM »
Like all mangoes the taste of a store brought to a tree ripened are wildly different...... R2E2 are a good tasting mango if not picked early as the ones in the stores are..... Honey Gold originated at Fitzroy Nursery in Rockhampton Queensland Australia from a batch of Kensington Pride seedlings......So whilst it doesn't have the colour of a Kensington Pride it does have some of its traits.....Both are poly. Honey Gold is under PBR (Plant Breeders Rights).......Nayelie321 if you don't have any luck with the R2E2 seeds & you can graft send me a PM..............Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk