Author Topic: BFG Tropicals - new Yacon, Red Banana, and Farthing Blueberry Tissue Cultures  (Read 4591 times)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Pickup only.  I am located in Broward, west of I-75, Griffon Rd exit. Credit cards accepted.  PM for appointments.  Weekends all day and weekday mornings available. Pricing and availability subject to change.

Live inventory (not that it moves much) http://bfgtropicals.com/Products/PlantAvailability
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:23:34 PM by cbss_daviefl »
Brandon

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Re: BFG Tropical Fruits and Plants - January Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »
Congrats on finally opening shop, neighbor! I'll have to swing by this spring.
Good luck!
Keith

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:45:27 PM »
By Brandon  - you should add if grafted/air layered  or seedling.
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:48:07 AM »
Thanks Keith.  I am tripping over all the potted plants so time to take action. Did you do a vegetable garden this year? Selling any vegetables?

Thanks Rob for the constructive comments.  I have added a column to specify the propagation method.
Brandon

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »
Hey Brandon:

Did the vegetable garden thing. crops are minimal but doing fine - still waiting on my tomatoes. Trade you a couple heads of organic broccoli for the first time you get some fruit going. Ill PM you this weekend if interested.
Keith

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Flowering sherbert berry plants available for pickup only.  $25 for 3 gal, $15 for 1 gal.  Get them before they set fruit! 

See the other plants I am selling:

http://bfgtropicals.com/Products/PlantAvailability
Brandon

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
I just received a new batch of tissue cultures:

Smallanthus sonchifolius 'Yacon'

Quote from: Manufacturer
Pear of the Earth
Tuber that taste like a fruit!

Yacon is one of the most extraordinary plants of the Andes. This spectacular plant is related to the sunflower & grows very similarly. It is also called "Pear of the Earth" because it's tubers are a delicious flavor that resembles a blend of watermelon, apple, & pear. It is very juicy and crisp and can be eaten raw or cooked. We had the chance to try some this last fall we where blown away by there flavor. Highly recommended, fun to grow for a fall harvest.

Farthing Blueberry

Quote from: Manufacturer
•Early season, 100-300 chill hours
•Large berries
•Consistently Large Yields
•High-Quality Fruit
•Strong Bush

Farthing' is vigorous and survives well in commercial fields. It is a vigorous but not a tall-growing plant. It has the somewhat squat bush structure of 'Windsor', but with more branchiness. The leaves are unusually dark-green in color. The plant makes numerous flower buds and flowers very heavily. Flowering is not as late as for 'Star' and 'Windsor' but later than for 'Emerald', 'Jewel', and 'Millennia'. The berries begin to ripen at about the same time as 'Star', 'Windsor', and 'Emerald'. Because of the high crop load typical of 'Farthing', the harvest continues for 6 weeks, similar to 'Emerald'. Plant survival in the field has been good. The plants can be propagated readily by softwood cuttings. 'Farthing' is partially self-incompatible and requires cross pollination for full fruit set. The berries of 'Farthing' are potentially very large on plants that have a light crop, but the typical heavy crop reduces berry size somewhat. The berries are high in most quality components. The color of the berries tends to be dark. Berry firmness is exceptionally good, and the texture is somewhat but not fully crisp. Berry scar and flavor are good. The berries have been harvested, packed, and shipped commercially with no reported problems.
Brandon

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
any other advice on growng yacon?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
I have no experience growing yacon.  However, I will summarize what is written about it in the book Perrennial Vegetables by Eric Toensmeier.

Yacon is distantly related to the sunflower.  It is clump forming and can grow to 6 feet.  It is not frost tolerant but can be grown as an annual through most of the US and parts of Canada.  It takes 6 - 7 months to grow the tubers.  It can be grow in full sun or part shade.  Stem cuttings, small tubers, and clump division can be used for propagation.  Tubers can be eaten raw, baked, or used in recipes that include tubers.  Stems and young leaves can be eaten. After flowering, the tops should die back.  This is the time to harvest the tubers.
Brandon

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I have no experience growing yacon.  However, I will summarize what is written about it in the book Perrennial Vegetables by Eric Toensmeier.

Yacon is distantly related to the sunflower.  It is clump forming and can grow to 6 feet.  It is not frost tolerant but can be grown as an annual through most of the US and parts of Canada.  It takes 6 - 7 months to grow the tubers.  It can be grow in full sun or part shade.  Stem cuttings, small tubers, and clump division can be used for propagation.  Tubers can be eaten raw, baked, or used in recipes that include tubers.  Stems and young leaves can be eaten. After flowering, the tops should die back.  This is the time to harvest the tubers.

I'm a big fan of that book
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
Brandon, wanted to thank you again for the tour and all those great plants. It was a lot of fun to finally get a chance and see everything you have growing. It was a real steal getting those huge pineapple for six dollars a piece.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk