Author Topic: florida citrus?  (Read 1841 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
florida citrus?
« on: January 16, 2020, 11:11:38 AM »
I'm in Florida this week, heading from orlando to ft lauderdale area and possibly as far as miami.  Anything exceptional in season locally?  Or same as to be expected from grocery store fruit shipped across the country? 

this site http://flcitrusmutual.com/render.aspx?p=/citrus-101/citrusseasons.aspx   says:

navel, pineapple, temple oranges  (I don't think I've ever had pineapple or temple, unless they were simply sold as generic oranges)

grapefruits.  I want to try some white marsh grapefruits to see what I can expect from my tree.  And I can't even remember what Duncan is like... I think I've only seen red grapefruits in grocery stores for as long as I can remember.

tangelos.   I'm still trying to reproduce the amazing minneolas I've gotten at the grocery store a few times before.  Even my home grown ones aren't quite as good

tangerines.   I've had so many great mandarins I'm not sure what else to expect here

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: florida citrus?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
In Florida you will probably see mostly miles and miles of dead HLB groves.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:43:50 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
And Florida fruit will be the same as in your local grocery. Good luck on your trip.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 06:36:43 PM »
Thanks!  I wont bother, then. 

I did see a lot of sad looking citrus plantations along the highway, though there were some nice looking trees.  Maybe newer plantings

Vespasian

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:02:51 AM »
It depends on where, and how the grove is being maintained. Where I live I have a fantastically healthy grove next to one that has clearly been abandoned. Trees are the same age in each. Florida could do better at battling HLB if Tropicana and the table fruit wholesalers would stop importing from third world countries and pay a little more locally so growers could apply more care to their trees.

loneroc1

• Lone Rock Wisconsin USA USDA Zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 06:21:14 AM »
Howdy Brian,  How are you growing your Minneola tree(s)?  I've got a variegated one planted in ground in my Wisconsin greenhouse.  Minneolas are my favorite citrus.  They bring back memories of the Florida roadside fruit stands we'd stop at on family vacations when I was a kid.  Are you getting fruit from your variegated tree yet?  Are you doing anything special for the tree (music.... or hula videos maybe:)?  Or do you think it might just be the young age of the tree?

Thanks!  Steve H, SW WI USA, USDA zone 3

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 03:33:54 PM »
The minneola I have that has fruited is in a container.   I also have a variegated one that is planted in the ground in my greenhoise.  I think it has flowers no so I expect fruit this year.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 12:02:50 AM »
Pineapple oranges are fantastic! Love the juice especially.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »
Its certainly not all gloom and doom. I know of quite a few decent looking groves north of Orlando on the way to the In-laws house.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 05:02:59 PM »
One big problem with the growers that still have decent producing groves, is that many of them do not have contracts for their fruit. This is  because the packinghouses got scared and placed contracts for citrus with foreign sources such as Mexico and Brazil.  Therefore Florida growers that still have fruit on their trees have no buyers.